Author Topic: Arbitrate this!  (Read 543 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Arbitrate this!
« on: October 31, 2015, 10:52:45 AM »
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/01/business/dealbook/arbitration-everywhere-stacking-the-deck-of-justice.html?partner=rss&emc=rss

I am willing to bet that most of the services you purchase, things you buy and possibly your job limits your rights to seek redress in the court system. 

I am conflicted on this:  most class action suits are nothing more than a big payoff for class action plaintiff counsel, while the plaintiffs get bupkis; arbitration can be a quicker and easier means of resolving disputes; but from my perspective, I am more likely to lose a medmal arbitration and have to pay an award than I am to lose a medmal jury trial on a defensible case.  There is good and bad in arbitration, but in the medmal arena, we are using more private trials in front of a retired judge these days.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Blakenzy

• friend
Re: Arbitrate this!
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2015, 05:11:55 PM »
Arbitration has corruption written all over it

:lol:
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

cambeul41

• friend
Re: Arbitrate this!
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2015, 06:00:57 PM »
I offered to go to an arbitrator when spousal unit #1 and I needed a property settlement. I even offered to let her name who it would be as long as it was a professional since arbitration was one of her job benefits.  She declined in favor of having lawyers battle it out.  I ended up with about twice what I originally ask for as my share of the split.
?It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance.?
?Thomas Sowell