Author Topic: Black Lives Matter "profiled" on Twitter  (Read 995 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Black Lives Matter "profiled" on Twitter
« on: November 12, 2015, 11:32:04 AM »

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/oregon-attorney-general-appalled-probe-black-lives-matter-015350436.html

I'm not down with a general warrant, or with a surveillance state. On the other hand, are there specific crimes linked to the BLM in Oregon, for which they were looking for evidence? Is a warrant required for reading Twitter feeds?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: Black Lives Matter "profiled" on Twitter
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2015, 12:06:40 PM »
Considering BLM has direct involvment, by association or design, with several high profile urban violence cases I see it as a legitimate concern. Gun owners get profiled by any number of Dumb.Gov agencies under far less valid reasonings.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2015, 01:03:36 PM »
Considering BLM has direct involvment, by association or design, with several high profile urban violence cases I see it as a legitimate concern.

That was my first thought.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2015, 02:11:56 PM »
I don't get it.

Twitter doesn't have privacy settings like Facebook does (that I know of). If you post, then you've made a public statement. I don't see how searching a hastag that is related to serious social unrest to be "profiling", unless they are going out willynilly and arresting anyone who used the hastag.

Basically, as far as I can tell, anything you post on Twitter is fair game for LEOs under any circumstances.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2015, 06:34:32 PM »
I don't get it.

Twitter doesn't have privacy settings like Facebook does (that I know of). If you post, then you've made a public statement. I don't see how searching a hastag that is related to serious social unrest to be "profiling", unless they are going out willynilly and arresting anyone who used the hastag.

Basically, as far as I can tell, anything you post on Twitter is fair game for LEOs under any circumstances.

I think there may still be 4th amendment issues with police surveilling people without probable cause, warrants, etc. For example, I don't think they're allowed to just follow you around in public places, w/o a good reason.

But I'm no expert.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2015, 07:06:57 PM »
Good. *expletive deleted*ck the BLM aholes.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2015, 08:19:41 PM »

I think there may still be 4th amendment issues with police surveilling people without probable cause, warrants, etc. For example, I don't think they're allowed to just follow you around in public places, w/o a good reason.

But I'm no expert.

Cops can follow you around in public all they want.  Over the past few years there have been some limitations imposed on their use of technology to track you, as opposed to follow you.

BTW - you can follow cops in public right back.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2015, 09:06:02 PM »
Cops can follow you around in public all they want.  Over the past few years there have been some limitations imposed on their use of technology to track you, as opposed to follow you.

BTW - you can follow cops in public right back.

stay safe.

Exactly.

Plus, "good reason" is relative. Plenty of times, LEO's think they have a great reason behind such actions and they don't, so I really wouldn't consider that to be a watermark for any 4th amendment argument.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2015, 10:53:12 PM »
Exactly.

Plus, "good reason" is relative. Plenty of times, LEO's think they have a great reason behind such actions and they don't, so I really wouldn't consider that to be a watermark for any 4th amendment argument.

"Good reason" was my terminology. I believe the courts use terms like "probable cause," "warrant," and "reasonable suspicion," when discussing the fourth amendment.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2015, 03:48:46 AM »
If the cops want to see the underlying data of the Twitter account (I.e. IP address of the poster, etc.) then they are going to need a warrant.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.