Author Topic: AARP: Is night now day? Are the poles reversing?  (Read 1614 times)

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
AARP: Is night now day? Are the poles reversing?
« on: November 17, 2015, 03:39:02 AM »
For years I have noticed that  AARP the magazine always seemed to have cover stories about what I percieved to be leftist personalities.

Almost every month the idea would occur to me to write to them about that, but of course, I knew it wouldn't do any good.  Besides, it was only a minor annoyance not sufficient to trigger actual action.  (Even though I could have always included another  discourse about their anti-firearms policies.)  And, after all, I could be wrong.

So today I got the mail and I almost fainted... the cover story of the AARP magazine, was about Tom Selleck !

Are they mind readers?  Are they getting complaints about that from others?  Was there a management coup at the publication office?  Is reality finally sinking in to the Board of Directors?

Holy cow.

Terry
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: AARP: Is night now day? Are the poles reversing?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2015, 06:22:56 AM »
What did they say about Tom? Was the article favorable, or borderline defamatory?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2015, 06:28:12 AM »
Competition, God's shock therapy. >:D

http://amac.us/

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2015, 07:19:59 AM »
AARP is quite left leaning on many issues.

My Mom's biggest complaint about them is that they seem to believe that every senior is filthy rich and goes on 80 cruises a year.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2015, 08:35:27 AM »
Competition, God's shock therapy. >:D

http://amac.us/

Having turned 50 earlier this year, that's who I joined.  Discounts and the like are comparable and I can control the amount of junk mail and email I get.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2015, 02:44:03 PM »
^ Yeah, that junk mail is another thing that frosts my pumpkin.

What did they say about Tom? Was the article favorable, or borderline defamatory?

Was OK, kind of neutral-to-plus.  Basically, like all the other similar cover stories, about how older celebrities "cope" --he's 70 now.

They made much of his ranch (bought from Dean Martin) and how the actual hands-on work around it helped him stay grounded.  And his parents' influence on him, which is a usual component of their interviews.  He doesn't really like "fame," per se.

The article only made parenthetical mention of his Directorship in the NRA, and actually mentioned that he was "conservative," and left it at that.

But basically, apart from this particular "event," if I can call it that, I get pretty frustrated about AARP's general and oh-so-obvious tendency toward touting California Leftist positions and personalities.

I, not knowing any better at the time, joined AARP for the health insurance when my COPRA was about to run out.  Now I'm kinda glued to them because I took advantage of other benefits, all of which expire at different times of the year, so it would be difficult to just say FU at one single point in the year and have to reconstruct all the benefits at that single point in time with another organization.  And my AARP card is well-recognized when I ask a merchant if they give senior discounts for AARP members.  Might be able to do that anyway, AARP or no AARP, but I never tried it.

Well, free or discounted senior coffee at any MacWendyKing's is pretty standard anyhow, with no card needed.  (Younger AARP members may need it, but at 76-77, I'm pretty obviously a senior.)

So.  There you have it.  An event, to my rednecked right-wing mind, of considerable but not earth-shaking significance.  So maybe AARP is reading my mind.

Or is hacking into da goobermint's mind-reading facilities.   >:D[tinfoil]

Terry
« Last Edit: November 17, 2015, 03:02:37 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.