Author Topic: Where is my LCRx 3" in .357?  (Read 2662 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Where is my LCRx 3" in .357?
« on: December 12, 2015, 09:29:30 AM »
I am surprised that Ruger has not yet released this model, especially in time for 2015 Christmas shopping.  It was a year ago that they released the .38 LCRx.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

zahc

• friend
Re: Where is my LCRx 3" in .357?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2015, 12:48:40 PM »
What does the "x" mean?
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

JN01

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2015, 01:33:01 PM »
External hammer spur for single action shooting.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2015, 01:47:21 PM »
Probably because the sales manager fired one in .357 and said, "Holy crap!  The hell with this!" as he shook his hand to get all the bones back in the right places. >:D
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2015, 02:26:32 PM »
Probably because the sales manager fired one in .357 and said, "Holy crap!  The hell with this!" as he shook his hand to get all the bones back in the right places. >:D

I shot one once.  Factory loaded 125gr jhp .357.  Wasn't as bad as I expected.  (About on par with doing the same thing with my heavier all steel Taurus 605.  Which, doing that, makes me want to check the gun to make sure it's still all together.)
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 06:44:42 PM by lee n. field »
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2015, 01:25:42 AM »
^
..... >:D

;) :rofl: [popcorn]

Like I always say, if the gun were as light as the bullet, it would be just as dangerous on the back end as the front end.

'Course you gotta add in the mass of the hand holding it in that there relationship... but still...

Tur'ble Terry
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 06:38:17 AM by 230RN »

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2015, 11:54:50 AM »
There is also the surface area to consider as well.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2015, 09:00:48 PM »
I have had what I think is the S&W 640 small frame revolver in 357 magnum.  It is stainless steel, not lightweight.  38's shoot fine in it.  357 mag hurts.  I figured you could shoot it in self defense, but I wouldn't want to practice that way. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2015, 01:45:10 AM »
I gradually increased the power level in my scandium .357 J-frame... which feels like an empty water pistol when you first pick it up.  Your hand, expecting some "heft" to a handgun, kind of almost goes up past your head.

Anyhow, I went from target wadcutters through regular 158 gr .38s, then up to 125 gr +Ps.

That was as far as I wanted to go with it.  Never fired a .357 out of it.  Truly approaches the "just as dangerous on the back end as the front end" limit... hand mass added and surface area in contact (thankful nod to HeroHog) notwithstanding.

Terry, 230RN

Grebnaws

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2015, 11:17:49 AM »
I'm in the "maybe" crowd for an LCRx 3" .357. The platform is great but my 13 oz. original lcr .38 special is downright nasty to shoot with .38 +p, and the tiny bantam grips make it even worse. A box of 50 leaves my hand aching for days and it's worse after a few cylinders of golden sabers or buffalo bore. I ain't a tough guy or heavily seasoned shooter but I do beat on my hands at work and if the recoil is painful for me it's probably just too much, which is why I backed down and carry standard pressure (albeit from a boutique manufacturer). Adding a few ounces to the gun wouldn't be enough to mitigate the magnum recoil, and I think they need to revamp the sights on the 3" models. They look like the sights on my pellet gun.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2015, 11:33:46 AM »
My take is that, if forced to use it, there will be so much adrenalin in your system you could fire a lightweight snubby chambered in .500 S&W and not notice.

The primary purpose of a conceal-carry piece is just that, concealed carry. I want the meanest, nastiest, most effective caliber that will fit in the gun frame, wrist discomfort upon intended use be damned. Asking friends to bring me another ice pack is a far cry from the inconvenience of carrying my casket.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Grebnaws

• friend
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2015, 11:40:55 AM »
I agree, but I find it hard to practice effectively and improve my shooting with the sharp recoil. It's a personal problem. My lcr targets at 5 yards look worse than my xds target at 20.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2015, 11:42:41 AM »
Practice with whatever gets you comfortable with the gun. Carry stoked with The Good Stuff.

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2015, 12:06:33 PM »
If they do ever come out with the LCRx 3" in .357, it will immediately become my hiking/snowshoeing/outdoor recreation handgun.  This is because it will be lighter than my SP-101 or Security Six currently used for that purpose.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2015, 12:16:38 PM »
I agree, but I find it hard to practice effectively and improve my shooting with the sharp recoil. It's a personal problem. My lcr targets at 5 yards look worse than my xds target at 20.

Same. Never a problem with hot loads out of my Micro-Compact. I attribute the crappiness on the LCR to having always shot mostly semi-autos in defensive practice, so both physical configuration and trigger are different for me (the only other revolvers I own are single action).  I got better on the LCR by handloading light loads and stepping back to "handgun 101", taking my time with breathing, form, and trigger pulls, then getting back to factory loads. I still won't shoot +P in it.

I'm much better with it now, though still crappy compared to any of my other pistols. I feel confident for close encounters though. Then again, if I'm carrying it, for anything over 5 yards, I'm going to first try and run away anyways (which I'd likely do with a big pistol as well). To me, a snubby, or any small, short barreled pistol is really for "near arms length" defense, or as a "visual aid" to dissuade a potential assailant.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2015, 12:17:14 PM »
Ask VAskidmark about his micro .45 ACP and recoil.

I bruised the snot out of my thumb on the cylinder of an NAA .22 mag revolver once...
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2015, 12:20:29 PM »
Ask VAskidmark about his micro .45 ACP and recoil.

By "hot loads" in my Micro-Compact, I should clarify that I mean the same factory defense ammo that I carry in my full sized 1911s.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2015, 12:32:23 PM »
Want some fun? Try torching off a couple mags of hot PD loads through an LCP which, because you have very large hands, is a 1.5 finger grip.

Brad
« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 12:52:48 PM by Brad Johnson »
-HankB

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2015, 12:50:07 PM »
As I recall my old .38 spl derringer was "kinda tingly" when I shot it.
MOLON LABE!

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2015, 12:52:36 PM »
My take is that, if forced to use it, there will be so much adrenalin in your system you could fire a lightweight snubby chambered in .500 S&W and not notice.

The primary purpose of a conceal-carry piece is just that, concealed carry. I want the meanest, nastiest, most effective caliber that will fit in the gun frame, wrist discomfort upon intended use be damned. Asking friends to bring me another ice pack is a far cry from the inconvenience of carrying my casket.

Brad

That was how I used to reason.  Not sure I agree with the reasoning anymore, despite owning a .357mag titanium snubby my own self.

0. Subjective perception of recoil under the influence of adrenaline/stress is one thing.  BTDT.  But the objective reality of .357mag loads from a lightweight package is another thing altogether. 

1. The differences between practice hardball and social JHP for a .45ACP are minuscule relative to the differences between practice & social ammo for .357mag lightweight snubbies (where velocity can more than double; ke=0.5*m*v^2; p=m*v). 

2. I have experienced differences of more than 12" POI at 7 yards switching from .38spl to .357mag ammo from the same lightweight snubby at the same shooting session.  Once with a Taurus Ti snubby, once with a S&W Ti snubby.  (All quality factory ammo.) 

3. I think this is not just the physics of a higher velocity bullet and time in bbl before exiting the muzzle.  I think that even large fellows with not inconsiderable grip strength must bow to the physics of the situation and acknowledge that the shooter is being pushed around enough such that POI is profoundly influenced. 

4. Even if one accounts for the shift in POI and corrects for it (aim high/low), the practice derived is teaching yourself the wrong thing if you practice enough.  [See the PR terrorist vs Truman incident for how this plays out where the SS agent, used to practicing with .38spl tgt wadcutters, misses making an instantly incapacitating shot on a PR terrorist due to the POA/POI delta between practice & carry loads.]

5. A sure, dry grip on the weapon can not be assumed.  Recoil on the edge of manageable, with the addition of liquids, is a recipe for slipped/lost grip.  Or with the addition of haste and an imperfect grip.

Anyways, the above has influenced my thinking on the practice load/carry load for lightweight snubbies.  My own practices have changed a bit, too. 

0. Practice ammo is nearly the same mass & velocity as carry ammo.  Or is my carry ammo if I am feeling spendy. 

1. That cuts into the number of rounds I can send downrange (reaching limits of pain to limb and/or wallet). 

2. I do much more dry firing with my snubby.  Such is greatly aided by the CT laser grip, which is a terrible tattle-tale, making sure one and all present see all imperfections of grip, aim, trigger pull, breathing, etc.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2015, 05:20:17 PM »
I've developed a technique for using the laser sights on my handguns.  Since it is not necessary to raise the guns to eye level, I shoot two-handed with the gun pressed close to my body down by the bottom of my rib cage.*  Nowadays, I only shoot 7 and 15 yards.

I call it my "Adam's Rib Hold."

This technique affords a lot more stability of the "dancing dot" and in addition, provides a little better recoil management.  I use the same +P loads I always carry in them.

One would expect that with an auto, the slide coming back would hit you in the torso, and I was prepared for that, but it didn't happen with the small 9 auto I have, at least not with my level of love handles.  This could be dangerous in terms of short-stroking.

I believe it happened once with my full-sized 1911 ( also laser-sighted) but I'm not sure.  The gun cycled normally throughout the session, but later, I found a small dirt mark on my shirt which could have been the slide hitting it.

Although there possibly are some so-far-unseen tactical problems with this method, the major one I have is with the grip laser on my J-frame.

Recoil, despite the two-handed hold, makes my middle finger slip off the switch button and I have to reconfigure my grip for each shot.  I have partially solved this problem by cementing a "pip" on the button, but it falls off after a few shots from the rubbing it takes under recoil.

I have so far not discovered a cement which will hold up under this kind of abuse.

Terry, 230RN

* CAUTION:  Since you are shooting from a lower angle, be aware that your bullet will be traveling upward toward a normally-hung target at these close ranges.  Therefore, it is possible for you to hit the ceiling at an indoor range, or have your bullet go over the berm in outdoor situations.  SOLUTION: Hang your targets lower than normal.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 05:36:01 PM by 230RN »

Grebnaws

• friend
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2015, 10:23:45 PM »
The difference between a target load .38 special and buffalo bore 158gr +p swchp carry load is immense. This is magnified exponentially by the hard two finger grip of 13 oz. snubbie. It makes the differences between 9mm,.40, and .45 negligible.

I flip flop between loading hardcast 150gr wadcutters or the 158gr swchp in standard pressure but the full bore +p loads are right out. Too much for me. Even the 125 gr +p Golden Sabers are pretty wicked and that's what the Lady Grebnaws carries. The trade off between penetration or expansion in is acceptable to me in a point blank defensive firearm. For those that haven't used one the LCR truly has a great trigger for what it is and I am very confident in the gun for it's intended role. That's why I gave one to my significant other and bought another for myself. My xds is far more capable overall in almost any other circumstance but as a belly gun, poker table gun, gassing up and grabbing a 6 pack gun, or a carjacker gun, I give a nod to the LCR.

Interestingly, I can out shoot the LCR with my Taurus tcp .380 too. It has been a surprisingly nice pocket gun even though I prefer a heavy .38 ballistically. It's twice as pleasant to shoot as measured by how many rounds I can fire before saying "This sucks, I'm going home".

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
Re:
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2015, 12:28:10 PM »
I still think that a slightly enlarged frame & cylinder could be mounted onto that "firing assembly" to make a .44Spl or .45ACP......
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.