Author Topic: Spring Kits from Wolff: Taurus 651 and S&W M64 Snubbies, Plus Kel-Tec P40  (Read 1688 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Taurus 651 .357mag Total Titanium
Replaced factory springs and it lit off all three brands of .38spl I stoked it with (Fed 148gr HBWC Match, Magtec 158gr LRN, Rem FBI Load). This spring kit makes a HUGE difference in trigger pull.  

If you have not done it, do it.

S&W M64 Snubby .38spl
Used Wolff's lightest ribbed mainspring and trigger return spring to produce the sweetest DA trigger pull.  Does not light off cheap magtec brand .38spl.  Had one misfire out of 50 with my wife's preferred load of Federal 148gr HBWC match.  One misfire with 50 rounds of Rem FBI load.  Strain screw fully screwed in.

Mitigation Options:
* Move up to next-higher weight mainspring
* Try other brands of .38spl match 148gr HBWC
   - S&B
   - Fiocci
   - Remington
   - Black Hills
   - Winchester
   - Buffalo
   - Old Western Scrounger

FTR, this 2" bbl revo is balls-on accurate.  Take your time and punch out the X-ring all day long.  I would not mind having a half-dozen of these stashed about the place.

Kel-Tec P40 .40S&W
Replaced recoil spring and firing pin spring, but not mainspring.  100% reliable ignition with both sorts of ammo tried (Herters 165gr nyclad alum case and Am Eagle 165gr FMJ).  I am kinda sweet on the Herter's alum case, since I have no intention of reloading .40S&W.  Slick ammo from mag to chamber.

OTOH, did not engage slide stop at end of magazine like the factory springs did.

Mitigation Options:
* Degrease slide & frame, re-lube with CLP.  Used heavy moly grease meant for brake calipers to lube.  Might be stiffening in the colder weather.
* Order factory recoil spring.  Leave wolff firing pin spring.
* Go back to original recoil spring.  It still  worked fine, but I wanted a refresh to go along with the nickel plating and a workable spare.

This is also a very accurate bitty pistol, too, with stupid-small groups when you take your time with it.

I have had this Kel-Tec P40 for over ten years.  Carried a lot, fired a bit.  Installed Maprolight tritium sights (now dark, but excellent iron sights and better than factory) Installed the frame carry clip.  Skateboard tape on back and front of grip.  Had the slide nickle-plated and went from skeevy-looking worn blueing to very respectable nickel.  

Thinking about selling it once I get it up to my standards again, as there seem to be folk who want it more than I do.  Would replace it with a pocket-pistol my wife could operate.  The KT P40 has more recoil than she wants to deal with.

« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 01:13:10 PM by roo_ster »
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
Re: Spring Kits from Wolff: Taurus 651 and S&W M64 Snubbies, Plus Kel-Tec P40
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2015, 12:24:03 PM »
Thanks.  Nice report, font sucks.   =D
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2015, 12:26:28 PM »
I bought a Taurus Model 94 .22LR revolver to use in the NRA pistol classes I teach. Out of the box the trigger was just ugly -- even the single action pull was way off my RCBS analog trigger pull scale. I installed a Wolff trigger spring kit that's listed by Wolff for their other small frame revolvers but no longer listed for the Model 94 -- probably because rimfire ammo can be difficult to light off.

The result transformed to gun from miserable to tolerable. I wouldn't say the trigger is "sweet" by any stretch of the imagination, but at least now it's usable. And it still ignites any type of rimfire ammo I've tried in it (which certainly doesn't cover the spectrum, since rimfire is still hard to find in my area).

Definitely worth doing.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Hawkmoon

• friend

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2015, 01:12:03 PM »
Thanks.  Nice report, font sucks.   =D

Agreed.

I happen to prefer fixed pitch fonts.  Especially when using bullets & columns & such.  Courier is my favorite.

Courier Font

Courier is a monospaced slab serif typeface designed to resemble the output from a strike-on typewriter. The typeface was designed by Howard "Bud" Kettler in 1955, and it was later redrawn by Adrian Frutiger for the IBM Selectric Composer series of ectric typewriters.

Although the design of the original Courier typeface was commissioned by IBM, the company deliberately chose not to secure legal exclusivity to the typeface and it soon became a standard font used throughout the typewriter industry. Because IBM deliberately chose not to seek any copyright, trademark, or design patent protection, the Courier typeface cannot now be trademarked or copyrighted and is completely royalty free.

As a monospaced font, in the 1990s, it found renewed use in the electronic world in situations where columns of characters must be consistently aligned. It has also become an industry standard for all screenplays to be written in 12-point Courier or a close variant.

8-pitch

10-pitch

12-pitch

14-pitch

How's about I bump the pitch to 10 from 8?

Consolas Font

Consolas is a monospaced (non-proportional) typeface, designed by Luc(as) de Groot. It is a part of a suite of fonts that take advantage of Microsoft's ClearType font rendering technology. It is included with Windows since Windows Vista, Microsoft Office 2007 and Microsoft Visual Studio 2010, and is available for download from Microsoft. It is the only standard Windows Vista font with a slash through the zero character.

Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2015, 04:40:32 PM »
It ain't the pitch that's my bitch.

IT MAKES ME FEEL LIKE I'M READING ONE OF THOSE SCREEDS THROWN UP BY A PERSON WHO IS HIGHLY DISTURBED ABOUT A TOPIC AND WANT'S TO MAKE DAMN SURE THAT EVERYONE WHO MANAGES TO WADE THIS FAR INTO IT KNOWS JUST HOW HIGHLY DISTURBED THEY ARE ABOUT IT AND YES I KNOW WHERE MY CAPS LOCK KEY IS AND I KNOW HOW TO USE IT THIS IS JUST EASIER FOR ME AND I DON'T KNOW WHY THE GRANDKIDS ALL ROLL THEIR EYES WHEN THEY READ MY LETTERS TO THEM AND I'M ACTUALLY INTERESTED THAT THERE ARE OTHER KINDS OF LETTERS THAT I CAN USE TO GET THE SAME RESULTS AND I BET IF I USE THOSE OTHER LETTERS AND CAPITALIZE ALL OF THEM TOO IT WILL MAKE IT EVEN BETTERER THAN IT WAS SO IF YOU COULD TELL ME HOW TO GET THE WORDS FROM MY TYPEWRITER INTO THE COMM PUTER THEN I COULD EVEN TRY USING THAT BOLD SETTING THEY TOLD ME ABOUT TOO.   :old:  :laugh:
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
-P.F.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2015, 05:18:11 PM »
don't forget the <blink> tag

>:D
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2015, 05:53:00 PM »
don't forget the <blink> tag

>:D

Just tried.  No luck.  No seizure, either.  :rofl:
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
-P.F.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2015, 06:41:23 PM »
Wolff workks.

I needed a new recoil spring for my carry gun, so I just ordered a complete set of Wolff 1911 springs from Midway. It so happened my .22 caliber "1911" has (had) a very heavy tension on the grip safety, which made marksmanship difficult, especially for wifey. I used the Wolff sear spring on the .22, and the difference was huge.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2015, 07:09:29 PM »
Courier Font

Courier is a monospaced slab serif typeface designed to resemble the output from a strike-on typewriter. The typeface was designed by Howard "Bud" Kettler in 1955, and it was later redrawn by Adrian Frutiger for the IBM Selectric Composer series of ectric typewriters.

Graphic design background. I know what Courier is, and why.

How's about I bump the pitch to 10 from 8?

How's about 12-point?

Consolas Font

Consolas is a monospaced (non-proportional) typeface, designed by Luc(as) de Groot. It is a part of a suite of fonts that take advantage of Microsoft's ClearType font rendering technology. It is included with Windows since Windows Vista, Microsoft Office 2007 and Microsoft Visual Studio 2010, and is available for download from Microsoft. It is the only standard Windows Vista font with a slash through the zero character.

Thumbs down on Consolas. It's even more difficult to read than Courier.

roo_ster

• friend

IT MAKES ME FEEL LIKE I'M READING ONE OF THOSE SCREEDS THROWN UP BY A PERSON WHO IS HIGHLY DISTURBED ABOUT A TOPIC AND WANT'S TO MAKE DAMN SURE THAT EVERYONE WHO MANAGES TO WADE THIS FAR INTO IT KNOWS JUST HOW HIGHLY DISTURBED THEY ARE ABOUT IT AND YES I KNOW WHERE MY CAPS LOCK KEY IS AND I KNOW HOW TO USE IT THIS IS JUST EASIER FOR ME AND I DON'T KNOW WHY THE GRANDKIDS ALL ROLL THEIR EYES WHEN THEY READ MY LETTERS TO THEM AND I'M ACTUALLY INTERESTED THAT THERE ARE OTHER KINDS OF LETTERS THAT I CAN USE TO GET THE SAME RESULTS AND I BET IF I USE THOSE OTHER LETTERS AND CAPITALIZE ALL OF THEM TOO IT WILL MAKE IT EVEN BETTERER THAN IT WAS SO IF YOU COULD TELL ME HOW TO GET THE WORDS FROM MY TYPEWRITER INTO THE COMM PUTER THEN I COULD EVEN TRY USING THAT BOLD SETTING THEY TOLD ME ABOUT TOO.   :old:  :laugh:
It is courier font.  Common as dirt.  Default font for many systems.

I can not control the conspiacy theorists resident in your brain.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
I can not control the conspiacy theorists resident in your brain.

Dammit!  Neither can I.   [tinfoil]
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
-P.F.

roo_ster

• friend
Dammit!  Neither can I.   [tinfoil]

The answer is obvious:  Detcord The Swedish Bikini and Exorcism Team.  Their cure rate is kinda iffy though, with upwards of 50% claiming they were still possessed and required more treatment.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
The answer is obvious:  Detcord The Swedish Bikini and Exorcism Team.  Their cure rate is kinda iffy though, with upwards of 50% claiming they were still possessed and required more treatment.

Yeah, I'm okay with multiple treatments and ongoing maintenance. Not to mention prophylaxis.  ( heh heh heh.  He said "prophylaxis". heh heh heh)
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
-P.F.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2015, 11:45:59 AM »
Wolff = good.

I've kitted all my GP100/SP101boomtwigs with 10# mainsprings and reduced power trigger return springs. Combined with with a liberal application of Flitz and elbow grease it's amazingly close to an expensive full tune in terms of improved action feel.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2015, 11:57:47 AM »

IT MAKES ME FEEL LIKE I'M READING ONE OF THOSE SCREEDS THROWN UP BY A PERSON WHO IS HIGHLY DISTURBED ABOUT A TOPIC AND WANT'S TO MAKE DAMN SURE THAT EVERYONE WHO MANAGES TO WADE THIS FAR INTO IT KNOWS JUST HOW HIGHLY DISTURBED THEY ARE ABOUT IT AND YES I KNOW WHERE MY CAPS LOCK KEY IS AND I KNOW HOW TO USE IT THIS IS JUST EASIER FOR ME AND I DON'T KNOW WHY THE GRANDKIDS ALL ROLL THEIR EYES WHEN THEY READ MY LETTERS TO THEM AND I'M ACTUALLY INTERESTED THAT THERE ARE OTHER KINDS OF LETTERS THAT I CAN USE TO GET THE SAME RESULTS AND I BET IF I USE THOSE OTHER LETTERS AND CAPITALIZE ALL OF THEM TOO IT WILL MAKE IT EVEN BETTERER THAN IT WAS SO IF YOU COULD TELL ME HOW TO GET THE WORDS FROM MY TYPEWRITER INTO THE COMM PUTER THEN I COULD EVEN TRY USING THAT BOLD SETTING THEY TOLD ME ABOUT TOO.   :old:  :laugh:

#hipsterconspiracistmanifesto

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2015, 12:57:48 PM »
#hipsterconspiracistmanifesto

Hipsters don't type in all caps.  They hand-print using artisanal hand-carved blocks of non-rainforest wood.  That you probably aren't familiar with/wouldn't appreciate.
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
-P.F.