Author Topic: Any thoughts on Thunderbird email application?  (Read 990 times)

Cliffh

• friend
Any thoughts on Thunderbird email application?
« on: December 13, 2015, 11:07:23 PM »
https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/

I've been using Windows Live Mail for years now as my email app.  A few days ago MS sent an email saying I'd have to upgrade Live Mail or not be able to receive email.  Unfortunately, the "upgrade" isn't available for Vista, and I'm not into upgrading the OS just for an email program upgrade.

I've been happy with Firefox, to where IE hasn't been started in years.  Is Thunderbird about as good as Firefox?

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: Any thoughts on Thunderbird email application?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2015, 11:58:16 PM »
It used to be a decent program. For quite a few years it was my choice.
Don't know if it's just my preferences have changed or Firefox and thunderbird have just evolved out of my liking but I don't use either anymore.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2015, 12:15:08 AM »
I use Firefox as my primary browser, and I use Thunderbird as my e-mail program for everything related to a web site I've become involved in administering (or is the correct verb "administrating"?). I like it -- I haven't found anything better.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2015, 08:44:32 AM »
https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/

I've been using Windows Live Mail for years now as my email app.  A few days ago MS sent an email saying I'd have to upgrade Live Mail or not be able to receive email.  Unfortunately, the "upgrade" isn't available for Vista, and I'm not into upgrading the OS just for an email program upgrade.

I've been happy with Firefox, to where IE hasn't been started in years.  Is Thunderbird about as good as Firefox?

Thunderbird works fine.  It's what I've used for a long time.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2015, 09:54:35 AM »
Although these days I find myself just using gmail, I've used Netscape Mail / Tbird iterations since college and have always preferred them over the competition.

Whenever I finally decide Google has become too intrusive and I switch to another email provider, I'll go back to Tbird as a local mail prg (I know I can use Tbird with Google, but am too lazy).

I actually still use Tbird as my email archiver. When I left work, I downloaded copies of all my emails to a local Tbird account on my Linux VM. Super easy to just start the local account and have all the work folders pop up in an easy to peruse way.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2015, 12:12:19 PM »
Used Tbird for years.  Good tool, but the Mozilla folks have not developed it much for some years.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

HankB

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2015, 12:36:01 PM »
I used MS Live Mail for a while, but had some problems prompting me to switch to Thunderbird. (Also use the Firefox browser most of the time.)

It works a lot like Live Mail did, but with fewer issues.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2015, 10:21:24 PM »
It works a lot like Live Mail did, but with fewer issues.

That right there's enough endorsement.  Fewer issues is good.

As for them not working on it, here's hoping that's 'cause if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2015, 11:26:29 PM »
Well.....

I've spent the last few hours setting up TBird.  The worst problem was chasing down how to import saved emails from Live Mail.  It's do-able, if you download the ImportExportTools app and figure out how to install it, then find the correct folder on the computer where the saved emails are located.  And then rename the corrupted folder names and mark all the imported emails as read.

It was a good opportunity to trim down the contacts list (from a couple hundred to less than 20) and re-organize the saved email folders.

Think I'll save uninstalling MS Live Essentials for another day.

NickySantoro

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2015, 01:15:33 PM »
Been using Tbird for last few years. Fine for me.

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2015, 02:57:36 PM »
I have been using it for years.  It changed a little, over time, but it's an email program.  They don't exactly need a glut of whiz-bang new features, IMO.
"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2015, 09:10:37 PM »
I have been using it for years.  It changed a little, over time, but it's an email program. They don't exactly need a glut of whiz-bang new features, IMO.

Simple and reliable is good.  Start adding in a bunch of unnecessary "features" and you end up with, oh, I don't know, MS Office?

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2015, 09:21:55 PM »
Yeah, kiss principle tends to be true for software, too.
"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2015, 10:38:58 AM »
I use Firefox as my primary browser, and I use Thunderbird as my e-mail program for everything related to a web site I've become involved in administering (or is the correct verb "administrating"?). I like it -- I haven't found anything better.

Same here, use both on my Win 8.1 machine and on my OS X notebook.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.