Author Topic: Thanksgiving! - bizarre, but not un-pleasant side effects of depression..  (Read 1137 times)

Stand_watie

• friend
(The mental kind, not the weather kind)

In the spirit of the holiday I thought I'd share "a few of my favorite things".

Those who've been on the forum for some time know that I've made no secret that I've had some unpleasant life events in the past couple of years - in fact forum members were just about the very first people I shared with - anyway, I have been depressed for a while, although a great deal better since January or so. I've always been somewhat of a phlegmatic personality, so it probably isn't entirely fair to blame it all on life events.

Anyhoo, to get to the point, from the time since I had gotten seriously down, I've had some interesting impulses, I think possibly they might be described as "maternal", but not being female, I don't know if that's a correct description or not.

Since I'm not typing this from prison, you can guess that I've only indulged these impulses in a responsible manner.

a) Newborn babies make me want to pick them up and hold them.

b) Bald infants make me want to rub my cheek against the top of their head.

c) Infants with "duckling or gosling hair" (blonde and asian haired infants usually) make me want to pet their hair.

d) Extremely pregnant women make me want to feel their belly and try to listen for a heartbeat (I haven't done this one at all).

e) Newborn kittens and puppies (especially fluffy ones) make me want to pick them up and rub them against my cheek.

f) The bristles/wrinkles on a horse's nose (right between their nostrils) makes me want to pet them.

Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

grampster

• friend
I'm heading downstairs to trim my nose hairs right now!! grin
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

meinbruder

• friends

<SNIP>

Not that I really want to snip.

Plus one on all of that.  Especilly the puppies and kittens part.
}:)>
Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.....

Da bianhua

Stand_watie

• friend

<SNIP>

Not that I really want to snip.

Plus one on all of that.  Especilly the puppies and kittens part.

Great looking dog in your avatar. His ears and muzzle look like my big puppy's. What is his makeup? do you have a bigger pic of him?
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

Ron

I love puppies.  smiley

J.J.

• Just your average
  • friend
d) Extremely pregnant women make me want to feel their belly and try to listen for a heartbeat (I haven't done this one at all).

Its good that you haven't done that one.  The reaction will vary depending on her mood, and that is if you know her! 

My wife will ask me "AM I THAT BIG" if I try to. With accompanied sad faces and tears and sometimes angry slaps at the hand.
sometimes
She will say "Not right now, that is what caused this" (as she takes my hand away from her belly and rubs it herself)

Pregnant women just can't be predicted.

wingnutx

• friend
  • Danish Cartoonist
    • http://www.punk-rock.com
If you can see my avatar, you know I love kittens.

wingnutx

• friend
  • Danish Cartoonist
    • http://www.punk-rock.com

There, fixed that for you  grin

Antibubba

• friend
Some will argue otherwise, but there is a fine line between what you should share online, and what you should share only with your therapist.  grin
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
Oooh! Puppies and kitties!!! I can resist anything except baby animals (and chocolate).
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

Stand_watie

• friend
Re: Thanksgiving! - bizarre, but not un-pleasant side effects of depression..
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2006, 01:52:07 AM »
Some will argue otherwise, but there is a fine line between what you should share online, and what you should share only with your therapist.  grin

Are you kidding!?

A hundred bucks an hour vs free. Sympathetic noises vs. Sympathetic noises along with the possibility of getting a nugget of good advice? I'll take online over therapist anyday.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2006, 05:43:12 AM »
the fact most therapists see thereapist scares me

Course if I had to deal with crazy people al lday I'd probably want a therepist too
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2006, 06:22:30 PM »

Its good that you haven't done that one.  The reaction will vary depending on her mood, and that is if you know her! 

My wife will ask me "AM I THAT BIG" if I try to. With accompanied sad faces and tears and sometimes angry slaps at the hand.
sometimes
She will say "Not right now, that is what caused this" (as she takes my hand away from her belly and rubs it herself)

Well I've done it lots of times in the past - I was seven when my little bro came along and mom encouraged me to listen to him kick and thump, and I had lot's of female relatives who weren't shy at all about demanding everyone in the family feel and listen, and of course when my wife was pregnant with my daughter... but since I've had the depression and the unsolicited urges I haven't done it...although the dog was pregnant during that time and I felt her belly a few times.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"