Author Topic: Medical Approval for Firearms in Hawaii  (Read 1255 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Medical Approval for Firearms in Hawaii
« on: January 02, 2016, 03:02:06 PM »
I saw this via Calguns. Apparently the "note from your doctor" has been a requirement for quite a while. What's new is that apparently Kaiser Permanente, based not on your medical qualifications (not that you should need any), but on their politics, is refusing to provide the letter for their members. The lawsuit should be interesting.

https://2ahawaii.com/index.php?PHPSE...&topic=20866.0
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Re: Medical Approval for Firearms in Hawaii
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2016, 04:08:48 PM »
Oh, this is not new at all, from the standpoint of healthcare professionals declining to provide these letters.  From the standpoint of the healthcare provider, why should I do this and incur possible liability if the patient goes off and kills their spouse?  The provider would probably then get sued on the basis that they should not have signed off on the handgun authorization, and if they had not done so, the spouse would still be alive. So from a provider standpoint, I have little to gain and potentially a lot to lose by doing this.

This may be a Kaiser political decision from the perspective of not getting involved in firearms issues, or this may be a Kaiser liability decision as noted above.  In the Seattle area, for example, the largest healthcare systems in town (UW, Swedish, Providence, Group Health and Virginia Mason) will not sign off on medical marijuana authorizations or death with dignity authorizations, despite state law permitting it.  The parent corporation has decreed that the employed providers cannot do so due to the political sensitivities around these issues.  From a liability perspective, many of these same corporations no longer allow family practitioners to do deliveries, and all deliveries are sent to the obstetrics department.  It boils down to the vicarious liability of the corporation for the acts of the providers.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2016, 12:37:58 PM »

What MillCreek said. Unless a doc is making money or has a very pro-gun ideology, why would any sane doctor want the liability? There's little upside, and a sharp but unlikely downside.

It's very similar to the proposal that gun owners "get insurance", of a kind that doesn't exist. If it did exist, only a couple of companies would issue it and it'd be at astronomical rates.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2016, 01:42:40 PM »
Well, bad precedent if it's liability. If this becomes a requirement in more areas (I wonder if that falls within EOs?), it'll be a back door to greater gun control. "Sure, you can buy all the guns you want - just find a doctor who'll give you a note."
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2016, 11:19:49 PM »
Well, bad precedent if it's liability. If this becomes a requirement in more areas (I wonder if that falls within EOs?), it'll be a back door to greater gun control. "Sure, you can buy all the guns you want - just find a doctor who'll give you a note."

Much like medical marijuana, probably make some doctors wealthy too, because you KNOW we'd generate a listing of doctors willing to give them out, and we'd visit them by preference.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2016, 11:23:23 PM »
Much like medical marijuana, probably make some doctors wealthy too, because you KNOW we'd generate a listing of doctors willing to give them out, and we'd visit them by preference.

Though I bet the cost would be high, which would hurt some of the people who need a firearm for protection the most. I may have read it wrong, but it sounds like in Honolulu, you need a new letter every time you buy a gun.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2016, 10:11:03 AM »
Though I bet the cost would be high, which would hurt some of the people who need a firearm for protection the most. I may have read it wrong, but it sounds like in Honolulu, you need a new letter every time you buy a gun.

The point of gun control everywhere on the planet isn't to control guns, but raise the socioeconomic bar for owning guns. Presidents, wealthy, famous or politically connected will always have guns. Or bodyguards with guns. That's everywhere on the planet. The point of gun control is to make sure the little people don't get them.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2016, 11:07:46 AM »
The point of gun control everywhere on the planet isn't to control guns, but raise the socioeconomic bar for owning guns. Presidents, wealthy, famous or politically connected will always have guns. Or bodyguards with guns. That's everywhere on the planet. The point of gun control is to make sure the little people don't get them.

This.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife