Author Topic: Nuke or Not?  (Read 4158 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Nuke or Not?
« on: January 06, 2016, 04:53:01 PM »
So what do you guys think -- did the midget blow a nuke or not? From what I read, the associated earthquake indicated it was artificially induced, so something likely blew up. Whether it was a hydrogen bomb, atomic bomb, or something else seems unclear. I'm guessing with a ~5.1 earthquake, they have the H-bomb.

Nations with a lot to lose seem to think it was the real deal. The US seems to be saying we're unsure, while at the same time Kerry tweets finger wags to NorKo.

Edit: corrected 5.4 to 5.1.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 05:21:31 PM by Ben »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

HankB

• friend
Re: Nuke or Not?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2016, 05:00:02 PM »
One of the "experts" on Fox said estimates are that Lil' Kim's explosion was in the 6-7 kT range, which if true isn't consistent with a conventional H-bomb. (Doubt he was testing a neutron bomb.)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2016, 05:26:35 PM »
One of the "experts" on Fox said estimates are that Lil' Kim's explosion was in the 6-7 kT range, which if true isn't consistent with a conventional H-bomb. (Doubt he was testing a neutron bomb.)

A quick google indicates that's half of what the atomic bombs dropped on Japan generated. If accurate, I wonder what they detonated? Could they be testing something "portable"? Paging Birdman.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2016, 05:28:38 PM »
Country is starving and that sawed off bastard wants a WMD.  Great use of your resources there,  short round.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2016, 05:40:59 PM »
What I read said that 5.1 was what previous tests have generated, which were conventional atomic bombs.  If this was an H-Bomb it was either a mini or a fizzle.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2016, 05:43:21 PM »

That would be consistent with a fizzle. Fission initiator function but the rest went all squishy.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

brimic

• friends
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2016, 05:56:53 PM »
Country is starving and that sawed off bastard wants a WMD.  Great use of your resources there,  short round.
To paraphrase that- Obama is shedding fake tears over 'gun violence' while Iran and North Korea are moving towards nukes.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 06:04:16 PM by scout26 »
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2016, 06:04:38 PM »
Hell, where is G98 when we need him...
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2016, 06:06:22 PM »
I think the Norks popped a regular atomic bomb and told Lil Kim it was a H bomb so they don't get killed in interesting ways.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2016, 06:08:23 PM »
Hell, where is G98 when we need him...

Though he's probably on the "till death do us part" plan regarding what he knows. :)

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2016, 06:13:04 PM »
Read earlier that it might have been a conventional 'A' bomb with some tritium added to the core for a boost.  Not an 'H' bomb.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2016, 06:38:08 PM »
Read earlier that it might have been a conventional 'A' bomb with some tritium added to the core for a boost.  Not an 'H' bomb.

So a possible translation error?

birdman

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2016, 06:45:10 PM »
That would be consistent with a fizzle. Fission initiator function but the rest went all squishy.

Brad

Which -isn't- a fizzle.

Why do you say "neutron bombs" are 5-7 kT, or even 5-7 kT versions of an H-bomb?

If it was a boosted device, I would hope it was a bit bigger than 5-7. 

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2016, 07:25:55 PM »
I'm here.

Constant Phoenix is enroute for to sniff the Nork underground fart.

Analysis of effluents will commence shortly afterwards.

Pull up your handy-dandy GE Chart of the Nuclides and play along via daughter products and decay chains.   ;) 
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

birdman

• friend
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2016, 08:09:55 PM »
I'm here.

Constant Phoenix is enroute for to sniff the Nork underground fart.

Analysis of effluents will commence shortly afterwards.

Pull up your handy-dandy GE Chart of the Nuclides and play along via daughter products and decay chains.   ;) 

You and I need to have a chat regarding our backgrounds and commonalities I think :)

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2016, 08:40:46 PM »
You and I need to have a chat regarding our backgrounds and commonalities I think :)

Can I go on record now as saying this is a bad idea?  For the safety of .................well, everyone.

txgho1911

• friends
  • sedition hammer
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2016, 08:43:49 PM »
Sooooo  If this was a fizled Hbomb then the secondary is now a wickedly hot test site and fallout zone from the fisionable materials?
socialnewswatchDOTcom instead of Drudge

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2016, 09:55:49 PM »
Which -isn't- a fizzle.

In multistage devices detonation of the primary with a failure to ignite the secondary is also considered a fizzle.

Fizzle is a generic term generally describing a failure to meet design yield. That failure can occurr for any number of reasons.

Brad
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 10:11:46 PM by Brad Johnson »
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2016, 01:36:01 AM »
Norks and nukes. Nice knowing you, East Asia.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2016, 08:10:52 AM »
Just curious if the short little commie bastard will try and get into bed with ISIS.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

birdman

• friend
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2016, 08:22:46 AM »
In multistage devices detonation of the primary with a failure to ignite the secondary is also considered a fizzle.

Fizzle is a generic term generally describing a failure to meet design yield. That failure can occurr for any number of reasons.

Brad

If it was 5-7kT, I'd bet it was a real fizzle, not a Castle Koon type fissile fizzle like you describe.  In fact, I actually had to search to find an example of a secondary failure that someone called a fissile. As I never encountered that usage in my experience.  

Basically, 5-7kT is an interesting yield as it means it's either a really good weapon, or a really shitty one, but since it's the norks, I'm going to say it's a shitty one.  If shitty one, that yield is a true fissile, whether or not it's also secondary failure (if it was intended to be a multistage, then it wouldn't count as a secondary failure, as the primary is the fissile).  If it's a good one...well, then it's also not a secondary failure, as the primary should have done better or it was a full yield good small one.
So at that yield there really isn't a way to describe it as a fissile because the secondary, if present, failed. 
It was either a regular old fissile, or a really good little test that worked correctly.
Any further comment...well, I can't go there.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2016, 09:30:53 AM »
If it was 5-7kT, I'd bet it was a real fizzle, not a Castle Koon type fissile fizzle like you describe.  In fact, I actually had to search to find an example of a secondary failure that someone called a fissile. As I never encountered that usage in my experience.  

Basically, 5-7kT is an interesting yield as it means it's either a really good weapon, or a really shitty one, but since it's the norks, I'm going to say it's a shitty one.  If shitty one, that yield is a true fissile, whether or not it's also secondary failure (if it was intended to be a multistage, then it wouldn't count as a secondary failure, as the primary is the fissile).  If it's a good one...well, then it's also not a secondary failure, as the primary should have done better or it was a full yield good small one.
So at that yield there really isn't a way to describe it as a fissile because the secondary, if present, failed.  
It was either a regular old fissile, or a really good little test that worked correctly.
Any further comment...well, I can't go there.

So commenting on what you can, question on the "good small one": From what you say of the yield, I infer there is a difficulty or physical barrier to producing a small H bomb. What are the physical parameters that have to be overcome to make a viable small H bomb vs building a "conventional" H bomb?

I would have the same fears as Bill regarding a "portable" H bomb. That seems like a pretty good setup for asymmetrical warfare on the terrorist state side.

Another possibility is that I wonder what the payload capacity of the NorKo SLBM is? Maybe they're miniaturizing to get the most bang for the buck from that platform?

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2016, 10:45:03 AM »
From what I understand, desinging and building a workable two stage device makes single stage devices look like Tinkertoy windmills.

Brad
-HankB

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2016, 11:07:17 AM »
Without going into the classified portion, suffice it to say that the forensic analysis of the event will have answers regarding the device's construction and degree of success fairly shortly.  

The first public clues that stuff's in motion will be Japanese newspapers.  They call us the "Great White Bird", and are always camped out at the approach and departure ends of the Yokota/Misawa/Kadena runway with big honkin' telezooms, vying for the best camera shot of the WC-135 Constant Phoenix.  

The Japanese consider the Great White Bird to be their protector against North Korea's nuclear ambitions, and will be actively looking for its arrival and subsequent sorties within minutes of the seismic announcement of the Nork kaboom.  Kinda freaked me out, the first few times I witnessed this.  I wondered to myself if that's how the pharaohs got the ancient Egyptians to consider them as gods.  "Show up large and in charge, and they will bow to you.."

You'll see several things once the IC (Intelligence Community) releases their findings:

1. A demarche' issued by the State Department at the UN General Security Council, citing North Korea's nuclear proliferation, with *some* tasty evidence trickled out to reinforce the claim.  "Some" because you never show your whole hand.

2.  An administration stooge using the old "remain nameless" alibi will leak something to CNN.  Senate staffers are also notorious for this.  I was actually able to bust one of the little bastards through sleight of hand, a crowning achievement for me!

3.  An official announcement, probably after the leak(s).

4. A paragraph or three on watchdog organizational sites like globalsecurity.org or fas.org

(Can't and won't divulge methods and sources - I'm not even allowed to write a book about my former life until 75 years after I retired - how's that for a non-disclosure agreement on exit?)
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2016, 11:33:12 AM »
The first public clues that stuff's in motion will be Japanese newspapers.  They call us the "Great White Bird", and are always camped out at the approach and departure ends of the Yokota/Misawa/Kadena runway with big honkin' telezooms, vying for the best camera shot of the WC-135 Constant Phoenix.

Nah, they're just practicing for vacation.