Author Topic: Why Lottery Winners so Rarely Remain Wealthy  (Read 14469 times)

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
Re: Why Lottery Winners so Rarely Remain Wealthy
« Reply #50 on: January 08, 2016, 10:50:09 AM »
All I ask is a chance to prove money won't make me happy. If it doesn't? At least I can afford to be miserable.

Brad

I think that pretty much sums up my feelings about money in general.  :lol:
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #51 on: January 08, 2016, 11:02:22 AM »
Buying a lotto ticket is buying a daydream or two. I think I played once last year, maybe twice.

In the unlikely event I were to win a big jackpot, along with the basics of financial advisors/lawyer/accountant/trust I think I would probably spend a good bit doing a disappearing act and become very, very hard to find.

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #52 on: January 08, 2016, 11:17:54 AM »
I promise not to duck.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #53 on: January 08, 2016, 12:19:10 PM »
I think the first thing to do for me is pay off the house and truck so I don't owe anyone anything.  Next is just setting it up so I am independent and not rquired to work if I don't want to.  If I gotta do something, there are lots of charities that could probably use more volunteers.  Setting myself up with some gun smithing projects might be fun also.

I would love to have some land with some woods and a nice range set up.  Maybe play around hunting/trapping hogs.  Just maintaining land and or running some cows for the tax exemption would keep one pretty busy.  Other than that, there are hundreds of historical sites and battlefields in the US alone that I have never seen.  I can see spending time each year driving around the country.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #54 on: January 08, 2016, 01:40:24 PM »
Just saw on the Powerball billboard that the estimated jackpot is over $800 million.  Curios to see if it hits a $1 Billion before Saturday.  If not and not won it will be for next Wednesday.

As for what I would do besides the trust.

I would have acreage and would probably tinker around with restoring cars some.  Something I've always been interested in. 

Also would set up my own range complex.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #55 on: January 08, 2016, 01:53:27 PM »

The kind of women who would double up on a guy like me. ...............   :laugh:
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #56 on: January 08, 2016, 02:42:34 PM »
Ha HA Suckers !!!!

I checked my numbers and I won !!!!  Woooohoooo !!!!

Time to fulfill my wildest dreams and spend like a drunken sailor !!!!!

Okay, I won $4 (would have $12 if I had bought the multiplier, which I didn't know about.)  As you can see, my wildest dreams are pretty cheap.   I guess I'll just "re-invest" my winnings for Saturday's draw....

The kind of women who would double up on a guy like me. ...............   :laugh:

Are easily found in Vegas for around a grand or so.  10 grand or so if you want higher end.   So you could easily play every night for life and still have lots left over....
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #57 on: January 08, 2016, 09:50:56 PM »
and learn how to be an *expletive deleted*hole with a really thick skin, you're going to have people coming out of the woodwork begging for money and calling you all sorts of names because you won't give them any money.

No problem, I already hate those kinds of people anyway...

I've only ever brought a couple of lotto tickets in my lifetime but I've benefited greatly from the lottery- each semester at school I get SC education lottery grants, taking a big chunk out of my degree.

So keep buying those lotto tickets, ya'll.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #58 on: January 08, 2016, 10:08:39 PM »
http://www.privateislandsonline.com/

Going here if I win.  Then to whatever .gov site sells old ships. 
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

CypherNinja

• friend
« Reply #59 on: January 09, 2016, 02:01:24 AM »
Oh, and also a really nice airplane

nah, eff that.

Multiple nice airplanes.

After all, every civilized, sophisticated man needs a long range cruiser... and an open canopy biplane. And a cub. And a warbird. And some sort of exotic former military jet. And a DC-3...

I'd pay Scaled Composites to design me a nice project to build.  =)
“Fear of death increases in exact proportion to increase in wealth,” Hemingway once said. Today, many of us have become rich in the currency of cowardice. We have so many things and so few experiences. We are desperate to live as long as possible, not as large as possible. We are so afraid to say goodbye to the world that we never say hello.
-Marty Beckerman (from a Wired article of all things)

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #60 on: January 09, 2016, 02:19:45 AM »
I'd pay Scaled Composites to design me a nice project to build.  =)

Nah.  Rutan is a smart cookie but suffers from too much ADD with his designs.  If I win I'm starting my own kit plane company so I can get the planes I want designed and built.  I'd prefer polished aluminum and radial engines.  Pretty much 180deg from the direction Rutan tends to go.  Though he has done some with the proper landing gear configuration.
Formerly sumpnz

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #61 on: January 09, 2016, 02:34:51 AM »

I'd want my own floaty island.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #62 on: January 09, 2016, 06:38:40 AM »
I'd finally be able to finish all my experiments!

Oh, and I'd become Iron Man.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #63 on: January 09, 2016, 09:32:23 AM »

Be interesting figuring out water, electricity and sanitation for year round living.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

birdman

• friend
« Reply #64 on: January 09, 2016, 09:39:05 AM »
Be interesting figuring out water, electricity and sanitation for year round living.
I'd think with a few hundred million you could figure that out...given that you could probably build that kind of infrastructure that would also work on the moon with that kind of $.
(Well, other than needing hydrogen...the moon has everything else you would need...except volatiles...so sad)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #65 on: January 09, 2016, 10:02:12 AM »
I'd think with a few hundred million you could figure that out...given that you could probably build that kind of infrastructure that would also work on the moon with that kind of $.
(Well, other than needing hydrogen...the moon has everything else you would need...except volatiles...so sad)

[tinfoil]
That's what they want you to believe...
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #66 on: January 09, 2016, 10:46:18 AM »

That's what the ocean is for (NSFW language).

https://youtu.be/h2M_Z0f6ecE?t=27
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #67 on: January 09, 2016, 11:19:44 AM »

More than likely if I won it, I'd probably turn into some eccentric eco nut who recycles toilet paper and heats my house with septic gases.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #68 on: January 09, 2016, 01:24:27 PM »
Now up to $900mil (just under $500mil cash value).  Insane.

The sad part is that the vast majority of those buying the tickets are poor and can't afford the money they spend.  I spent $6.  I probably won't even do that again for a few years.  Not hundreds that I couldn't afford.
Formerly sumpnz

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #69 on: January 09, 2016, 01:31:52 PM »
I'd finally be able to finish all my experiments!

Oh, and I'd become Iron Man.

I would have thought you'd go for more of a War Machine look.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #70 on: January 09, 2016, 01:59:38 PM »

That's really half the appeal.  I can't imagine not doing work of some kind,  and that sounds fun.  Unlimited resources help too.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #71 on: January 09, 2016, 02:14:06 PM »
That's really half the appeal.  I can't imagine not doing work of some kind,  and that sounds fun.  Unlimited resources help too.

Private island is a perfect place for the newer small scale desal units and experimenting with combinations of solar, wind, fuel cell and generator for power. Or if you're Birdman, nuclear. :)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #72 on: January 09, 2016, 02:20:24 PM »
More than likely if I won it, I'd probably turn into some eccentric eco nut who recycles toilet paper and heats my house with septic gases.

I ended up writing a report on systems that would let you do just that a few semesters ago...

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #73 on: January 09, 2016, 06:18:50 PM »
Cash value now estimated at $558 mil.

A person could do a lot with that.  Yep.  A lot.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #74 on: January 09, 2016, 06:55:46 PM »
This Powerball easily exceeds my threshold for buying a ticket.  I don't feel like going out in the nasty weather.

I do need bananas for Sunday School tomorrow, and the cheapest place in town sells lottery tickets...  What time is the drawing?  (or I can just wait until tomorrow and pick up the bananas and a cup of good coffee on the way to church)
"It's good, though..."