Author Topic: Kimber wheel-gun  (Read 2970 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Kimber wheel-gun
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2016, 12:54:20 PM »
Yeah, what is the deal with the dearth of break-top designs? Is it just not strong enough? Or more difficult to machine?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2016, 02:50:55 PM »
Yeah, what is the deal with the dearth of break-top designs? Is it just not strong enough? Or more difficult to machine?

That was the issue.

Although I don't know if modern materials and design make that moot or not.
I promise not to duck.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
Re:
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2016, 03:13:08 PM »
Would have been more innovative if they had introduced it in 9mm.....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2016, 03:24:05 PM »
That was the issue.

Although I don't know if modern materials and design make that moot or not.

I wonder about that as well.Ruger made their first run of .480 revolvers (6-shot) out of some carpenterwundersteel, the walls between chambers are nearly paper thin.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2016, 03:40:51 PM »
.327 Federal, so one can use all the cartridges before it in that family (.32 H&R Magnum, .32 S&W Long, .32 S&W Short).
I heard some talk about wanting a levergun in the 327 federal.  That would pretty neat especially if it could also shoot those preceding calibers. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2016, 05:46:19 PM »

Well, if I recall in looking it over (I had a lot of fun with that little gun before ammo dried up), all the locking was in tension except for the little pin holding the sight base, which was in shear stress (or strain, I forget which is which all the time).  You pushed up on the sight to unlock and hinge down the barrel and cylinder.

I see no reason why that locking method could not be replaced by something else much stronger --remembering that the original load was black powder and smokeless loads were pretty wimpy.

Either that or make that hinge pin out of Unobtainum Carbide, UoC2.

As far as operation was concerned, I found I could use my gun-hand thumb to unlatch it, and when the barrel tipped down, the ejector star automatically pushed the cartridges out most of the way and a shake threw them out all at once.  Reloading with loose cartridges was necessary, but I remember wishing I could design a speed-device to reload with the off hand.

I can see a thumb control for unlatching placed in the same place as a normal DA revolver opening button, left side, and designed for strength with modern cartridges.

Incidentally, the "automatic" ejection led at least one manufacturer (H&R?) to call it an "Automatic !"

Anyhow, I've been moderately enamored of the top-break system ever since I had that gun.

Not as enamored as I am with Sofia Vergara, but... interested.

Terry
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 06:03:51 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

T.O.M.

• friend
Re:
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2016, 05:51:37 PM »
Would have been more innovative if they had introduced it in 9mm.....

Speaking of 9mm revolvers,  this article talks about Korth introducinga 9mm replacement cylander for Smith L-frame revolvers.  Pull the .357 and crane, put in the 9mm, and you get cheaper practice time.

http://www.gunsholstersandgear.com/shot-show-2016/
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2016, 09:01:41 PM »
Ive wanted a break top alloy snubby in 9mm with a short cylinder to match for a long time.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton