Author Topic: The Marines' war on mountain bikes  (Read 1778 times)

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
The Marines' war on mountain bikes
« on: January 22, 2016, 02:18:40 AM »

Well, not really.  Marine Corps Air Station Miramar, near San Diego, has been having problems with trespassers, so they started cracking down.  45 bikes have been confiscated and 50 tickets issued.   As the USMC does live fire on that land, there is an obvious safety concern as well as a security issue for the base:

http://www.grindtv.com/bike/u-s-marines-crack-down-on-trespassers-confiscate-45-mountain-bikes/

Hiley said he and his group were forced to hike two miles back to their vehicles, wearing cycling shoes. He described to GrindTV that the trek was like a “the walk of shame.”

Oh, the horror . . .

""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

dm1333

• friend
Re: The Marines' war on mountain bikes
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2016, 05:58:03 AM »
As a mountain biker who has done my share of trail maintenance I have no sympathy for these idiots.  I do feel sorry for the SDMBA president.  The value of their advocacy and hard work gets diminished by every *expletive deleted*che who rides past a no trespassing sign.

As a military member?  Trespassers on a live fire range seems like a self correcting problem!   [ar15]

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2016, 07:38:55 AM »
I'm with DM on this one.

This isn't the early 90s where *legal* places to ride were far and few between, we're flush with good, legal, and supportable trails in most places (the DC region has some of the best mountain biking outside the actual mountains I've ever seen).  There's no real need to poach, but some like the "outlaw" lifestyle.

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2016, 07:47:15 AM »
"The encounters were somewhat intimidating, as the Marines wore flight suits and toted weapons."

ZOMG! They's wearing flight suits! RUN!

aholes.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2016, 08:03:18 AM »
Maybe next time the Marines do a strafing run with Cobras.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2016, 08:03:48 AM »
bike riders, whether these guys or others, are more often than not, 'the problem'.  Get more than two of them together, and they suddenly think that no rules apply to them.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2016, 08:21:05 AM »
Mountainbikers have a large segment of their ranks that relish poaching illegal trails.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2016, 08:39:19 AM »
Mountainbikers have a large segment of their ranks that relish poaching illegal trails.

My perception is probably skewed because the Mid Atlantic region has a very large and active advocacy group that discourages poaching, trail abuse (riding wet trails, etc), and performs regular trail maintenance, clinics, etc.  I don't see much active poaching these days.  Just the opposite, folks will warn others away from illegal trails or even formerly legal trails that get closed for various reasons.  The mountain bike community here is pretty ethical and works hard to improve the trails we have as well as relations with interested parties.

Chris

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2016, 09:09:35 AM »
cyclists act like superdouches and *expletive deleted*it all over everything. news at 11.

Up next, water is wet
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2016, 09:13:59 AM »
My perception is probably skewed because the Mid Atlantic region has a very large and active advocacy group that discourages poaching, trail abuse (riding wet trails, etc), and performs regular trail maintenance, clinics, etc.  I don't see much active poaching these days.  Just the opposite, folks will warn others away from illegal trails or even formerly legal trails that get closed for various reasons.  The mountain bike community here is pretty ethical and works hard to improve the trails we have as well as relations with interested parties.

Chris

There has been so little to ride here that is legal that poaching was the only way to ride single track.

With a very successful IMBA chapter now flourishing in Chicagoland the tide is turning and change is coming.

But there is a segment here who hate the legal sanctioned trails as they consider them a sanitized version of what they once were.

Of course anything sustainable is somewhat sanitized. Most fall line trails have disappeared or been replaced with switchbacks.  
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2016, 09:14:45 AM »
The Marines have a reputation as baby killers.  Some idiots without the cognitive ability of a 6-month old put their lives in danger.  The Marines ride out to save these idiots from themselves.

Given the likelihood of the base also being a route of undocumented long-term vacationers from foreign lands, the carrying of weapons makes sense above and beyond the fact that military and civilian police carry guns so what's the fuss?

Hope the jerks also get charged with trespass and destruction of federal property.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2016, 09:41:12 AM »
Seems to me they could set up some mortar tubes targeting the area.  If the trespassers manage to get away, they won't be back.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2016, 10:12:06 AM »
FWIW, some bases allow and even encourage mountain biking.  I know for a fact Quantico has sanctioned trails (have ridden them).  IIRC, so does Ft Bragg, though it's been 20yrs since I was in that area with a bike.

Chris

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2016, 10:22:18 AM »
It's not mountain biking douches doing this, it's just douches. When we used to fly range clearance security sorties for Vandenberg, half the time it seemed we'd be calling in surfers who snuck on base to catch a gnarly.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2016, 10:27:48 AM »
It's not mountain biking douches doing this, it's just douches. When we used to fly range clearance security sorties for Vandenberg, half the time it seemed we'd be calling in surfers who snuck on base to catch a gnarly.

This.  Douches are douches regardless of their hobbies.  We have them in the gun arena as well (people who shoot garbage at public ranges and leave it there, slob hunters, open carry neckbeards, etc. 

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2016, 10:57:40 AM »
FWIW, some bases allow and even encourage mountain biking.  I know for a fact Quantico has sanctioned trails (have ridden them).  IIRC, so does Ft Bragg, though it's been 20yrs since I was in that area with a bike.

Chris

Yep. You can even hunt on Quantico. So it's definitely not the Marines at war with anyone just for the sake of being at war.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2016, 05:13:58 PM »

Probably not downrange at the firing range, though ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2016, 05:26:31 PM »
We have them in the gun arena as well (people who shoot garbage at public ranges and leave it there, slob hunters, open carry neckbeards, etc.

This is why I shoot the sort of garbage that won't be there the next morning.  Ever seen how fast a family of raccoons can clean up a dozen exploded rotten oranges and 30 pounds of cream cheese sprayed over a ~50 diameter area?  I swear they were sucking the cheese off the juniper branches like a bunch of celery sticks.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2016, 05:27:57 PM »
"The encounters were somewhat intimidating, as the Marines wore flight suits and toted weapons."

Marines carrying weapons and being intimidating...isn't that sort of the whole purpose of Marines?

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2016, 05:41:09 PM »
The Marines in the pictures look like Forward Air Controllers.  IIRC, they are pilots whose "turn" it is to live down in the mud with the grunts for a while.

Hence, the Flight suits and "weapons" (sidearms), these aren't 18 year olds fresh from Infantry School, being all Billy Badass.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2016, 06:37:30 PM »
I'll admit a bias here.  In the picture the mountain bikers were wearing lycra and what looked like roadie shoes.  The biggest douches I run into in MI all seem to be dressed like that.   :laugh:  Remember when roadies wore tight lycra and goofy looking jerseys and mountainbikers wore baggy shorts?  Now it's all lycra and goofy jerseys.  Flame on roadies!   :lol:

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2016, 06:47:48 PM »

ZOMG! They's wearing flight suits! RUN!

aholes.

The encounters were somewhat disturbing, as the cyclists wore spandex.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2016, 07:04:10 PM »
Marines just can't avoid IEDs* anywhere they go.

*Irritating Entitled Douchebags
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2016, 07:06:58 PM »
Marines just can't avoid IEDs* anywhere they go.

*Irritating Entitled Douchebags

Close.  These are VBIEDs
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2016, 10:46:30 AM »
Marines carrying weapons and being intimidating...isn't that sort of the whole purpose of Marines?

Not anymore.  Their mission has changed to trans-sea-mammal outreach.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton