Author Topic: The $2 Million Treasure Hunt  (Read 879 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
The $2 Million Treasure Hunt
« on: January 30, 2016, 08:44:52 PM »
Have any of you heard of this? Its apparently been going on since 2013. I just learned about it reading a story on Fox News about someone looking for it who got lost.

Basically, a multimillionaire hid $2mil in a treasure chest and gave clues via a poem in an effort to get people outdoors. It's been narrowed down to the Rockies somewhere in New Mexico.

Anyway, I thought it was a neat idea. While I'm not the kind of guy that would buy a lottery ticket, I am the kind of guy that would just for fun go treasure hunting. I think it would be awesome if somebody with Zuckerberg type wealth took like $100mil and split it into 1000 $100K treasures hidden all over the country. It'd probably get a lot of people away from the computer screen and the Cheetos.  :laugh:

Whoever did it could probably make a lot of their money back in books and TV shows and whatnot (well, if they didn't get sued by every ninny who broke their leg while looking). :)

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/01/30/treasure-hunter-vanishes-searching-for-2-million-in-gold.html?intcmp=hpbt4

http://www.oldsantafetradingco.com/the-thrill-resource-page
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

HankB

• friend
Re: The $2 Million Treasure Hunt
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2016, 04:44:42 PM »
Basically, a multimillionaire claims he hid $2mil in a treasure chest and gave clues via a poem in an effort to get people outdoors.
FIFY
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2016, 04:46:44 PM »
I've heard of it.  (and forgot about it)
"It's good, though..."

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2016, 08:29:25 AM »
I know the guy who found it.  He bought a small ranch in Idaho and moved there.  But he only paid me a measly hundred bucks to keep my mouth shut, so just to keep other people from wasting their time, his name is Percival Mergatroyd.  Nyah-nyah!
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2016, 04:00:16 PM »
Well, heavens to Murgatroyd!
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2016, 11:14:18 AM »
Anyway, I thought it was a neat idea. While I'm not the kind of guy that would buy a lottery ticket, I am the kind of guy that would just for fun go treasure hunting. I think it would be awesome if somebody with Zuckerberg type wealth took like $100mil and split it into 1000 $100K treasures hidden all over the country. It'd probably get a lot of people away from the computer screen and the Cheetos.

Heck, it wouldn't even have to be that.  Just some caches with maybe a $100 bill and a bunch of gift certificates for outdoor gear.  Call it $500 total investment for the main benefactor per treasure, with (hopefully) REI, Mountain House, Bass Pro, LL Bean and others donating part of the gift certificates to drive the value up.  (And hopefully manufacture them some new customers, or at least bring people who already spend time outdoors into their stores.)  Put them 2-5 miles from usable roads, so they're not too easy to get, but also not too difficult for the couch potatoes who would benefit most from suddenly having a pretty decent backpacking, camping or fishing setup and state and/or NPS annual membership.

Any business that would dump $1M on a marketing effort anyway could do 2,000 of these for that money.  Call it 1500 caches plus some expenses for the folks who actually have to go place them.  Since they needn't be bigger than a #10 envelope, hiding them won't be a huge undertaking.  Serializing them with a well-worthwhile bonus prize available upon scanning a code or entering the serial number on a website (possibly that could "activate" the gift certificates) would allow realtime updating of found caches for the hunters to check before setting out.  Maybe even throw in a "grand prize" cache each year with the keys and title to a car already loaded for a serious campout.