Author Topic: Father kills son in self-defense  (Read 986 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Father kills son in self-defense
« on: February 04, 2016, 01:56:59 AM »
This is the story of a headcase who repeatedly beat his parents, and was eventually shot by his father, in self-defense.

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/responsibilityand-killing-children/

The comments are - interesting.  =|
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
Re: Father kills son in self-defense
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2016, 01:58:41 PM »
Great article, Fistful. Thanks for posting.

So, I wonder. Do we in the carry community have a special responsibility to learn communication skills? Do we, because we have chosen to carry a lethal weapon, have a greater-than-normal responsibility to be attentive to—maybe even stay at arm’s length from, if possible—the dramas that inevitably swirl around human (especially family) interaction? Should we include in our training a class, for instance, in “active listening” to sharpen our communication and awareness skills?

We can train thoroughly at the range; we can memorize the layout of the house so that we can walk through it blindfolded or at night; we can clean and oil our weapon so that it functions smoothly. But how do we “get our mind right” about the emotional constructs of our family and close friends?

I've quoted this for truth. Not really much to add, except to be thankful that I was exposed to THR and this forum early in my firearms ownership process. I've learned tips about communication, body language, and de-escalation and become a more well-rounded firearms owner. I think communication is a trait that the community should definitely emphasize.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2016, 02:26:28 PM »
There was a case in rural west central WI a decade or so ago that was very similar.. my Dad knew the deceased pretty well.
There was a son (in his 20s) who killed both parents, the father literally had the means to defend himself and his wife in hand but refused to use it.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2016, 03:51:59 PM »
There was a son (in his 20s) who killed both parents, the father literally had the means to defend himself and his wife in hand but refused to use it.

I can understand how he felt.  I don't even want to think about what it would take for me to do that.  I'll just stick with praying that I never find out.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2016, 04:14:51 PM »
I can understand how he felt.  I don't even want to think about what it would take for me to do that.  I'll just stick with praying that I never find out.

Agree completely.  Don't even want to try and imagine a moment like that...
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

brimic

• friends
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2016, 04:38:57 PM »
Agree completely.  Don't even want to try and imagine a moment like that...

I couldn't either. There are very few people in this world who I wouldn't drop the hammer on without a second thought if sufficiently threatened, and my kids make up the majority of that group.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama