Author Topic: So, We're siding with Apple, right?  (Read 29780 times)

dogmush

• friend
So, We're siding with Apple, right?
« on: February 17, 2016, 08:00:03 PM »
...as they tell the FBI to FOAD.

This popped up on my FB feed today, so I did a little reading.

Situation as I understand it:
It seems as if one of the San Bernardino shooters had an iPhone, that the FBI has, but can't get into because Apple has pretty strong encryption, and apparently a function that will destroy the data if someone tries to brute force it. FBI REALLY wants into the phone.  Apple says "Sorry, no can do, that capability doesn't exist."  FBI, gets a court order that compels Apple to wright the software to backdoor their encryption.(actually to get around the brute force protections and let the FBI crack it.) Apple gets the order and says "Nope, still aren't doing it, but we'll go public."  Hilarity on forums across the net ensues.

Apple's Statement

Court Order

Ft. Meade has (apparently) no input to the situation.

I'm on Apple's side here. Yeah they were bad guys, but the government doesn't get to just compel companies to produce things that don't exist, so as to circumvent a major selling point of the company's product. Had the FBI just publicly said "Hey we'll give a million dollars to the software team that can produce this back door for us. We have a warrant." That'd be one thing. But AppleClearly has no interest in building this particular piece of software.

Andiron

• friend
Re: So, We're siding with Apple, right?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2016, 08:07:43 PM »
That was worth the read,  another instance of "I didn't think they had it in them".

Would've lost money betting on them telling the feds to get bent.

Very well done, Tim Cook.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2016, 08:48:01 PM »
Glad we have a little Apple love going on. I was beginning to think I was in quite the minority based on everything I've been reading and seeing on the news. Most of the so called small government conservatives are all shouting about "an exception for safety".

Once this door is opened, I don't believe it shuts again. I stand with Apple on this.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Unisaw

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2016, 09:13:24 PM »
I also stand with Apple.  How can the government compel a private entity to write software to effectively ruin a compelling product feature that cost mucho $ to develop?  Of course, I also thought the government couldn't compel a citizen to purchase health insurance...
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2016, 09:31:19 PM »
Next step:  an act to ban communication in any format or medium that is inaccessible to a lawful investigation.

Exception: law enforcement and military.  No need for their activities (like briefing on drone strikes) to be subject to later investigations!
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2016, 09:43:46 PM »
so we side with apple, right?

That reply brings a tear to my eye.
Abso'effinglutely  right.

7-11 was a part time job.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2016, 10:14:35 PM »
Absofreakinglutely

Sent from my iPhone. Freaking autocorrect.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2016, 10:16:05 PM »
That is certainly what non-hacker, non IT me got out of it. The phone bricks at 10 password inputs, the Feds want a workaround to brute force the hell out of it. And every other iproduct they ever get their sticky paws on. nopenopenope.

Anyway to come up with a deadman switch program? If you don't check in with the all clear on a daily basis the phone sends you one reminder and then if no response it wipes itself?
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2016, 10:35:17 PM »
I'm not an Apple fan by any means but I'm on their side with this issue.

It is my understanding that the phone actually belongs to the county and wasn't the personal property of the terrorists.
I would expect that apple does have the capability to "unlock" the phone but that isn't what the feds are demanding.
The feds can go pound sand.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Calumus

• friend
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2016, 12:02:03 AM »
Tim's been in the .gov's crosshairs over Apple's privacy policy since last summer at least.  Its one of the reasons that I made the switch to an iPhone last August. Hopefully he keeps it up.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2016, 12:17:16 AM »
Tim's been in the .gov's crosshairs over Apple's privacy policy since last summer at least.  Its one of the reasons that I made the switch to an iPhone last August. Hopefully he keeps it up.

I'll be interested to see what the response is from the Android side. I'm generally not a fan of Apple products, but something like this could make me switch sides on phones, purely on philosophy.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2016, 12:28:21 AM »
I'm not an Apple fan by any means but I'm on their side with this issue.

It is my understanding that the phone actually belongs to the county and wasn't the personal property of the terrorists.
I would expect that apple does have the capability to "unlock" the phone but that isn't what the feds are demanding.
The feds can go pound sand.

They actually do not have the ability to unlock the phone, and that's very deliberate

If they ever had that ability, then they can be extorted into using it .  Or the feature can be misused by others who breach it
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2016, 12:32:08 AM »
My understanding is that there is currently no work around, Apple simply has no way in as they purposely didn't build a back door.

I am very much with Apple on this. If they were to, say, build a back door and force the upgrade I doubt it'll take much time at all for folks to figure out how to exploit it.

Sent from my iPhone. Freaking autocorrect.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2016, 12:37:55 AM »
Go apple!

That did not feel natural.

Fedgov is way out of line here.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2016, 04:02:46 AM »
The meme that Apple is leftist shows just how much politics are about fashion.  Jobs and his corporation were always right wing free marketeers - yet conservatives have largely hated on them for using cool looking young people in ads.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

zahc

• friend
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2016, 07:24:18 AM »
It's false flag from both ends. Both AAPL and FEDGOV have everything to gain from your belief that the devices are secure. For both the megacorp and megagov, the amount of care they have for your self- interest is below the detection limit.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2016, 07:30:28 AM »
It's false flag from both ends. Both AAPL and FEDGOV have everything to gain from your belief that the devices are secure. For both the megacorp and megagov, the amount of care they have for your self- interest is below the detection limit.

Interesting position. Do you believe that there is already a backdoor in place with respect to the device encryption?
Fitz

---------------
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:

-MicroBalrog

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2016, 07:50:14 AM »
They actually do not have the ability to unlock the phone, and that's very deliberate

If they ever had that ability, then they can be extorted into using it .  Or the feature can be misused by others who breach it

I was listening to this on NPR, they has about a 20 minute discussion with several different people. Appears the FBI and whomever wants Apple to create software that can decrypt any of their phone they make. Apple doesn't want to do this because it puts them in a bad spot with consumers and with other nations they sell products too. Seemed that Apple was ok with FBI sending the phone to them under the warrant and apple will decrypt it at their facilities and give it back to the feds. Apple didn't want to create a software program than can be used outside their facilities, or even make such a software program in the first place. Apple is really taking personal privacy protection in their devices very seriously.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2016, 07:52:12 AM »
I was listening to this on NPR, they has about a 20 minute discussion with several different people. Appears the FBI and whomever wants Apple to create software that can decrypt any of their phone they make. Apple doesn't want to do this because it puts them in a bad spot with consumers and with other nations they sell products too. Seemed that Apple was ok with FBI sending the phone to them under the warrant and apple will decrypt it at their facilities and give it back to the feds. Apple didn't want to create a software program than can be used outside their facilities, or even make such a software program in the first place. Apple is really taking personal privacy protection in their devices very seriously.

Close, but not quite

the encryption is, for all intents and purposes, not currently breakable.

What they want APPLE to do is push a software update that disables the wipe feature. After 10 attempts at the code, the device will erase itself. They want apple to force an update to disable that without user interaction(normally, you have to enter the pin to disable that feature), so they can then brute-force the pin (basically try every possible combination until they find the right one.

Apple's (very valid IMO) concern is twofold: the potential for misuse of what they would develop to do this, and the dangerous precedent of complying with the gov saying "help us circumvent security"

a separate but related discussion is the US gov's ongoing push to place backdoors in ALL encryption, which is being vehemently opposed by all the giants (MS, for an example, is actually having a pretty sour relationship with the US gov, expanded overseas datacenters, officially called them an "advanced persistent threat" to security, and have successfully opposed "orders" to deliver email that doesn't reside in the US)
Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2016, 08:34:02 AM »
yes

Seems to me that a backdoor on an encrypted device is somewhat of an oxymoron. It is either encrypted and secure or it is not. A backdoor means it is not.

I heard one of the "conservative" talking heads expressing all types of concern about our safety and "the terrorists!" on the radio yesterday.

Of course if there is a terrorist attack in the USA it will be because we didn't allow the government to destroy every last vestige of privacy  [barf]
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2016, 08:37:52 AM »
Go apple!

That did not feel natural.

Fedgov is way out of line here.

Completely agree.

That last Apple product I owned was a first generation iBook. (I'll let you discover when that was...)

This is seriously making me consider moving to the iPhone the next time I need to replace my smartphone.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2016, 08:38:26 AM »
Apple.

Of course, that puts me on "that list."

Again.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2016, 08:59:20 AM »
I'm on Apple's side here. Yeah they were bad guys, but the government doesn't get to just compel companies to produce things that don't exist, so as to circumvent a major selling point of the company's product.

Also what needs to be taken into account is that ultimately, it was .gov who let the terrorist (farook's wife) into the country in the first place.

.Gov can go pound sand.

"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2016, 09:30:09 AM »
yes

Seems to me that a backdoor on an encrypted device is somewhat of an oxymoron. It is either encrypted and secure or it is not. A backdoor means it is not.

I heard one of the "conservative" talking heads expressing all types of concern about our safety and "the terrorists!" on the radio yesterday.

Of course if there is a terrorist attack in the USA it will be because we didn't allow the government to destroy every last vestige of privacy  [barf]

Bogie is doing the same thing on the book of face.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2016, 09:33:40 AM »
Question:
Was Apple willing to help the Feds recover data from the phone separately without helping to defeat their encryption generally?

I was a bit surprised the court order was so specific.  

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge