Author Topic: Sorta Caught a Burglar  (Read 2153 times)

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
Sorta Caught a Burglar
« on: February 18, 2016, 10:22:52 PM »
Well, I got them on video a least.

There's been a rash of petty burglaries around the area recently. One of our employees had somebody come in their front door, grab a wallet and purse, then bugger out.  A few miles from there, three doors down from my parent's place, same thing happened.  In the front door, grabbed a purse, ran out.  Nobody's ever seen the perp.  Screen door slashed a quarter mile from that last incident.  There's been a few more around town, like stuff pulled from cars, all within a 3 mile radius.

So at 5:31pm today I'm at my office desk, my phone alerts me to motion in a barn at a remote site 2 miles away.  I pull video and there's somebody in the barn.  I didn't call police because I don't know if somebody else in ownership knows the guy.  Make a quick phone call to verify that yes, this guy isn't legit, and headed out.  I didn't get there in time to catch him or the car (7 minutes from alert to arrival) but we do have him on video pretty well.  Police went through it this evening with my brother.  I couldn't find any sign of forced entry.  Not sure how he got in.

Hopefully actually having a picture of the guy will break something loose.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Sorta Caught a Burglar
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2016, 10:25:11 PM »
Remote cameras without linked remote pepper spray release? And you call yourself an APS member? :P  =D

Hope they catch the guy. I loathe thieves.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2016, 10:38:14 PM »
Pepper spray? What about det cord?

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2016, 11:54:06 PM »

THANK YOU!
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2016, 07:56:59 AM »
Ok, so it's illegal to "booby trap" your property but would it be considered a booby trap if the claymore was hooked to a remote trigger? =D
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2016, 08:00:04 AM »
First thing that crossed my mind
Avoid cliches like the plague!

HankB

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2016, 11:06:48 AM »
Ok, so it's illegal to "booby trap" your property but would it be considered a booby trap if the claymore was hooked to a remote trigger? =D
In Texas, the law prohibits setting a "mechanism" which would create a substantial risk of causing "death or serious bodily injury."

So things like trap guns and bear trap are probably not allowed . . . I don't know of any case law addressing how this would apply to remotely command triggered devices.

IANAL, but from reading the plain text of the law, non-lethal deterrents - perhaps including tear gas or pepper fog - would not seem to fall under the prohibition since they're not readily recognized as creating a substantial risk of death or serious bodily injury.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2016, 11:08:36 AM »
In Texas, the law prohibits setting a "mechanism" which would create a substantial risk of causing "death or serious bodily injury."

So things like trap guns and bear trap are probably not allowed . . . I don't know of any case law addressing how this would apply to remotely command triggered devices.

IANAL, but from reading the plain text of the law, non-lethal deterrents - perhaps including tear gas or pepper fog - would not seem to fall under the prohibition since they're not readily recognized as creating a substantial risk of death or serious bodily injury.

Paintball guns with the dye from bank dyepacks for confirmation of the perpetrator later?
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2016, 12:28:07 PM »
BURGLAR LIVES MATTER, you bastards!
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2016, 01:40:34 PM »
Paintball guns with the dye from bank dyepacks for confirmation of the perpetrator later?

"Yes, officer, I recognize him. #6 with the red blotches all over his face."
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2016, 10:45:53 PM »
... and it turns out it was one of our employee's kids.  He also works for us part time here and there and there's nothing hinky about him being in one of our buildings at all.  I hadn't seen him in 6 months and at the age of 18ish he changed a lot.  Like a beard and maybe 20 extra pounds.  We didn't even recognize him, not one of the three that looked at the video. His dad (who has been with the company for 28 years now) texted me at 6:30am to let me know it was definitely his kid.

I've felt like an ass all day.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2016, 09:58:07 AM »
"I've felt like an ass all day."

Why?

Because you have a general aversion to having your property redistributed in some Bernie Sanders promoted "the have nots should help themselves to anything the haves have" plan?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2016, 06:30:02 PM »
Hey, at least he didn't crap anywhere. ;)
Avoid cliches like the plague!

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2016, 09:21:38 PM »

......and a strong concentration of histamine, perhaps?
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2016, 09:39:36 PM »

... and it turns out it was one of our employee's kids.  He also works for us part time here and there and there's nothing hinky about him being in one of our buildings at all.  I hadn't seen him in 6 months and at the age of 18ish he changed a lot.  Like a beard and maybe 20 extra pounds.  We didn't even recognize him, not one of the three that looked at the video. His dad (who has been with the company for 28 years now) texted me at 6:30am to let me know it was definitely his kid.

I've felt like an ass all day.

Well, at least you didn't dye him. I wonder if that stuff would wear off by prom?
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds