Author Topic: Please help me decide on a gift for my wife  (Read 1533 times)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Please help me decide on a gift for my wife
« on: November 25, 2006, 11:30:18 AM »
My wife and I have had an agreement for the last several years that we won't exchange presents at Christmas. It's an agreement I always break.

Usually by this time I know exactly what I'm going to get for her. This year, though, I'm torn between a few ideas:

1. Some accessories for her PT Cruiser. She loves the car, and often mentions seeing others with various accessories. I know that she loves the look of "smoothie" wheel covers and wide whitewalls. While not a particularly romantic gift, I'm sure she'd love it. Some of the element of surprise would be lost, though, as she always has her car, so I wouldn't be able to put the accessories on. She'd just have to get them in a box.

2. Tickets to see Doctor John, one of her favorite singers. He'll be in Chicago at Navy Pier on February 9th. We could do dinner before the concert.

3. A new integrated amp for our stereo system. The one we have now is cutting out on one channel, which frustrates her. I'm not as keen on this idea for two reasons: a) this strikes me as more of a household item than a gift and; b) the amp we have right now is a high-quality one, and can be repaired.

4. An item from a specialty store she loves. I'm sure that I'd find something she's already seen and wanted. The only downside is that she's been winnowing her collection of chachka lately, so more may not be desirable.

5. A studio portrait of the love of  her life, our dog. This one is almost impossible, though, because I know the dog won't sit for me. He's too high-strung, and also afraid of things like cameras and equipment.

6. Dinner at a new Cajun restaurant she's been wanting to visit. Somehow, though, that doesn't seem like a present. It's more along the lines of what I should do as a matter of routine.

7. The ideal gift would be a few days in New Orleans, but we absolutely cannot afford that now.

So, any input is much appreciated.

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Please help me decide on a gift for my wife
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2006, 11:52:22 AM »
#1 looks good.  She would likely buy some of that stuff anyway.  Smiley
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2006, 11:57:48 AM »
1, or 2.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Preacherman

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2006, 11:58:15 AM »
Give her a picture of the dog wagging his tail while he watches you place two tickets to the Dr. John concert on the driver's seat of her PT Cruiser.  Talk about multi-tasking!  grin
Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional!

Please visit my blog: http://bayourenaissanceman.blogspot.com/

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2006, 11:59:59 AM »
Another vote for #1.  Get a nice image of her PT Cruiser as Preacherman as suggested and photochop the new wheel covers and whitewalls in after you've purchased and hidden the items somewhere.  Put the pic in a nice box and wrap it up pretty.  Were I in your shoes I'd also toss in some nice jewelry or such as well, just so there is something tangible on Christmas morning.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Vodka7

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2006, 12:20:02 PM »
Another vote for #1.  I eventually learned to stop being creative with gifts and just buy whatever she's hinted at the most in the last month.  Made life a lot easier for me.  Plus, that leaves option #2 for an early Valentine's Day present, if you've got the cash for both.

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2006, 05:00:07 PM »
Those are all bad ideas. She really wants a new .44 magnum revolver.

Don't make her settle for anything less.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

BakerMikeRomeo

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2006, 05:55:50 PM »
Ooh, ooh, she also wants you to be more charitable, so can I have 20 bucks?

~GnSx

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2006, 06:27:39 PM »
Is there some pretense you could invent to "borrow" her PT Cruiser?

IIRC, you drive a Saturn? A sedan model?

Could you figure out some larger object, or a box that needed to be taken to XYZ, that would fit in the PT, but not your car?

Then use that time to have all the items put on it.
I promise not to duck.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2006, 06:31:35 PM »
Thanks for the considered replies. Also, thanks, Standing Wolf, for the .44 mag suggestion. I think that would be a present for me, though, not my wife. Wink

I've done some searching, and found sources for "smoothie" hubcaps, as well as what are called "portawalls" wide whitewall tire coverings.

I need to make sure that the hubcaps are real metal and chrome, and not some plastic imitations that are just vapor-coated. And I've read enough positive and negative comments about Portawalls to be concerned about how long they'll last.

If all else fails, I'll just book tickets for Doctor John.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2006, 06:36:28 PM »
AJ, that won't work. We'll be using her car to go from my parent's house to her family's house.

It was even worse back in December of 2002, when I was trying to keep the PT Cruiser a secret. Car salesmen were calling every night. And I told every idiot who called that I would not buy the car from him, since he didn't listen when I said, "pal, this is supposed to be a surprise for my wife. So don't call me, I'll call you." Sad

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2006, 12:00:50 PM »
Honestly, I was thinking a few days beforehand.

She'd probably enjoy being able to show off her gifts during the driving around for X-mas anyway.

Then just get some small trinket so she has something to unwrap during gift time.
I promise not to duck.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2006, 12:36:07 PM »
AJ, that would work, although I like giving her the surprise gifts after we get home from visiting family.

We'll be visiting my wife's sister and her husband's home on Christmas Eve. What I could do is get the wheelcovers over to SIL's house ahead of time, ask BIL to have all of the necessary tools ready, and switch the wheelcovers when my wife is tied up with something else. Fifteen minutes would probably do it.

The timing of the surprise is half the fun of it all. Wink

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2006, 12:48:02 PM »
do the right thing.  Buy her a new vacuum cleaner, or a yard rake.  Smiley

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2006, 01:44:23 PM »
In that case, get her the vacuum and the yard rake. Smiley

Personally, I'd go with the tickets and dinner. You know her best though.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2006, 04:01:41 PM »
1 votr for dinner and Dr John. Can I go too? grin
Avoid cliches like the plague!

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2006, 04:46:52 PM »
take her to nar'leans for the price of an amp.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2006, 05:40:08 PM »
Barbara, Debbie's always been into cars. There was a 1974 MGB that I'd restored that she was really fond of. She literally cried when she watched the guy I sold it to drive it away.

When Chrysler came out with the PT Cruiser, she went nuts. She wanted one, moreso than even a Mercedes. (Thank God she doesn't judge things by price).

I'm getting closer to figuring out how to time everything so that she'll still be surprised on Christmas Eve.

As for Doctor John, if by that time we can afford that as well, it would make for a great Valentine's Day gift.

Charby: "take her to nar'leans for the price of an amp."

The last time she and I went to New Orleans, it cost about $2500. You must be into some really expensive audio gear. Wink

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2006, 05:53:49 PM »
$2500 isn't expensive on audio gear

I can do 7 nights and 8 days in Italy with my wife for $2500, I know this because we are planning a trip there in march, We are planning on going to Florence and Rome.

$2500 in Nar'leans?  What did you eat Beluga cavalier and drink a '53 Claret?

Uranus is a gas giant.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2006, 06:18:09 PM »
Charby, I'm guessing that your tastes in audio gear, travel, food and wine leave me in the dust. Wink

That New Orleans trip was nearly seven years ago, so the $2500 figure is just a rough guess.

It was for New Year's 2000. $350 a night for the hotel, two nights in hotels in Memphis on the drive up and the drive down, fuel, food, and some nightlife.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2006, 06:32:05 PM »
Dick

You're a good man! I hope to meet you someday!

For my wife I am thinking about .5-.75 TW carat diamonds earings for Christmas. Got to love ebay and estate auctions for good deals. I bought a .45 carat FL D color diamond for engagment ring for less than what my used GP-100 cost me. Granted the diamond was cut over 100 years ago but will I ever tell her I bought it that cheap? Hell no.

You should see her friends get jealous over another diamond ring I bought her after wards,  5 .25 D carat VS D Color diamonds in a row.

BTW I don't like cavier, a Rothchild is far to tanin for my pallet and Italy can be cheap if you do you research, champange on a beer budget.

Uranus is a gas giant.