Author Topic: Stoopid Windows 10 questions- help needed  (Read 1683 times)

Kingcreek

• friend
Stoopid Windows 10 questions- help needed
« on: March 01, 2016, 01:42:30 PM »
Ok so I needed a new laptop and didn't want to spend much right now. Doesn't need to be more than basic. No gaming or anything special but I need a touch screen and notebook type is nice.
I bought an Asus transformer notebook with Windows 8.1 and 4 gig of memory.
I hate the 8 and want to free upgrade to 10 but it's a 3 gig download!
Does that include utilities and stuff that isn't filling my HD after install? I thought 4 gig would be fine when I bought the notebook ($300 for refurb like new)
Will it work ok once the Windows 10 is in or should I just learn to hate 8 a little less?
Thanks
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Stoopid Windows 10 questions- help needed
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2016, 02:00:14 PM »
The 3-gig download doesn't take up any of the 4-gig of memory. Those 3 gigs will go on your hard drive, which is probably a few hundred gigs, at least.

The 4 gigs of memory have to do with how quickly the computer can process information, and have nothing to do with how much information it can store.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2016, 02:04:35 PM »
What he said.

"Memory" is the current term for RAM, Random Access Memory.  Hard Drives are more often called "storage" or just HDs.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2016, 02:05:55 PM »
Thanks!

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2016, 03:04:32 PM »
The 3-gig download doesn't take up any of the 4-gig of memory. Those 3 gigs will go on your hard drive, which is probably a few hundred gigs, at least.

Well, unless he puts in a terabyte of RAM and sets up a nice RAMdrive...

Sounds crazy, but I remember back in the days when 8Mb was a lot of RAM and 1Gb HDDs were huge, and one of our clients put a gig of RAM in a Mac, and had it load all her usual stuff onto a 512Mb RAMdrive at startup.  Startup took a while, but once it was done, Photoshop loaded in about the time Calculator usually takes.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2016, 03:32:15 PM »
Perhaps before you go to 10, try installing classic shell and see if you like 8 better. Otherwise, no reason not to download 10, since neither of them are Win 7.  =D
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

HankB

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2016, 03:48:59 PM »
. . . Sounds crazy, but I remember back in the days when 8Mb was a lot of RAM and 1Gb HDDs were huge, and one of our clients put a gig of RAM in a Mac, and had it load all her usual stuff onto a 512Mb RAMdrive at startup . . .
You're a young'un.

My first home PC was an Atari 130 XE, which had TWICE the ram of the then-popular Commodore 64.

Once I graduated and got a real job, I started work on an IBM mainframe in a timeshare environment . . . and it was a luxury when I got a PC . . . it had a 386 chip PLUS a math co processor, with a massive 4MB of RAM . . . 
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2016, 04:06:28 PM »
My first home PC was an Atari 130 XE, which had TWICE the ram of the then-popular Commodore 64.

Mine too.  I think I even saw it in storage when I was moving some stuff around in there.  I found a box of floppies that had Silent Service and a few other games for the 130XE.

Once I graduated and got a real job, I started work on an IBM mainframe in a timeshare environment . . . and it was a luxury when I got a PC . . . it had a 386 chip PLUS a math co processor, with a massive 4MB of RAM . . . 

I know there's a genuine Wyse terminal somewhere in storage, and maybe the case from my first 8086.  I skipped the 286 and 386, though, and went straight from the XT to a 486SX/25 then a 486DX4/120.  A friend did the unthinkable and built a Pentium 133 into an old XT case, complete with wiring the Big Red Switch into the hot lead of the AT power supply so he could still turn the damn thing off even when it was locked up bad enough to ignore a long press on the power button.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2016, 04:29:39 PM »
Mine too.  I think I even saw it in storage when I was moving some stuff around in there.  I found a box of floppies that had Silent Service and a few other games for the 130XE.

I know there's a genuine Wyse terminal somewhere in storage, and maybe the case from my first 8086.  I skipped the 286 and 386, though, and went straight from the XT to a 486SX/25 then a 486DX4/120.  A friend did the unthinkable and built a Pentium 133 into an old XT case, complete with wiring the Big Red Switch into the hot lead of the AT power supply so he could still turn the damn thing off even when it was locked up bad enough to ignore a long press on the power button.

I was wondering if you could make a Pentium i7 run a TTL monochrome monitor, just for the perversity of it... then I went and priced some TTL monitors... $400+ ouch. $200-250 for a PCI TTL card.

I guess they're priced to exploit people with some sort of horrid legacy need like an old point of sale system, or industrial equipment that uses them as a display.  :P
I promise not to duck.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2016, 04:49:10 PM »

Oh yeah? Well, I'm so old school, I can still remember when we counted on our fingers, and wrote math problems on paper! With wooden pencils!

[aside] I showed him.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2016, 05:12:34 PM »
Thanks guys. I wasn't thinking, just panicked when I saw a 3 gig download.
I finally stumbled around enough in Windows 8 to find that I have disc space for 146 gig but am currently using 57% of memory. I think it will be fine when all the bytes settle. I thought I would just do the 8-10 upgrade before putting anything on this new notebook.

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2016, 09:43:39 PM »
You're a young'un.

Ye Olde 80387! I remember learning how to actually access that damned thing in Assembly language....
"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2016, 10:35:35 PM »
Pfft. Amateur new guys.

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2016, 10:51:46 PM »
I think I still have some 30 pin simms around here if someone need a memory boost.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2016, 10:25:04 AM »
What, no SIPPS?

"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2016, 12:25:01 PM »
What, no SIPPS?

I remember SIPPs.  Only worked on one computer ever that had them.  That was right about when I started in the field.  Older stuff came in with socketed ICs, new stuff had simms.  SIPPs were for when the board was too cheap for the maker to install a simm socket.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2016, 12:43:23 PM »
Cheap is when ya desolder all the pins off a SIPP to make it into a usable SIMM... so I've heard.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2016, 01:46:42 PM »
Cheap is when ya desolder all the pins off a SIPP to make it into a usable SIMM... so I've heard.

Or solder pins onto a SIMM because some cheapskate won't replace the board.  Done that one.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2016, 06:21:46 PM »
I think I still have some 30 pin simms around here if someone need a memory boost.

I have some leftover 4k 16 pin chips from a memory upgrade to my TRS-80.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2016, 06:26:31 PM »
I have some leftover 4k 16 pin chips from a memory upgrade to my TRS-80.

I have a punch card around here somewhere.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

HankB

• friend
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2016, 06:48:48 PM »
I was using a slide rule in high school Chemistry to solve gas-law problems . . . I think I still have one around here somewhere.

And then there was the trusty abacus . . .  ;)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2016, 09:40:13 PM »
Well, since this thread has veered completely off track...
I just realized that the Texas Instruments scientific calculator I bought in 1974 cost more than this new computer. And that was with the super discount deal our high school advanced math teacher got us.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2016, 06:42:08 AM »
I've still got a full Amiga 500 system including monitor and Okidata printer up in the attic. I splurged and got.the 512k ram upgrade and 2nd fdd, It was my 2nd computer.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2016, 07:39:11 AM »
I was using a slide rule in high school Chemistry to solve gas-law problems . . . I think I still have one around here somewhere.

And then there was the trusty abacus . . .  ;)

An abacus? You had it easy. All we had was...

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2016, 10:40:59 AM »

I used a Pickett ES500 on both a ham radio license test and a college algebra test.  Passed both.  Also started carrying spare batteries for my calculator after those.