Author Topic: New Ghostbusters Movie  (Read 16318 times)

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: New Ghostbusters Movie
« Reply #100 on: August 11, 2016, 01:56:57 PM »
time after time, re makes of decent movies fail.  They keep doing it over, and over again. 

The remake of Seven Samurai was very good. The remake of Yojimbo was very good. The remake of Ben Hur was very good, too.

(Of course, none of these are modern movies, and NO, I am most definitely not talking about the current "reimagining" or Ben Hur.)

I would guess most modern remakes fail because modern Hollywood is not really interested in quality. They are interested in "message" (that is, when they aren't interested in "BIG EXPLODEY BLOCKBUSTER SPECIAL EFFECTS!")
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #101 on: August 11, 2016, 02:07:57 PM »
There are decent modern remakes/reimaginings.  I think the problem is, even if you are remaking it you have to work hard to make a good movie.  If you are lazy and phone it in, it'll suck, new idea or not.  A phoned in remake can at least capture some nostalgia viewers.

Decent remakes:

True Grit (True Grit)
Oh Brother Where Art Though (The Odyssey)
Ocean's Eleven (Ocean's Eleven)
13 Assassins (13 Assassins )

Just off the top of my head.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #102 on: August 11, 2016, 02:08:35 PM »

Oh Brother Where Art Though (The Odyssey)

Not a remake. Neither is True Grit, but for different reasons.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #103 on: August 11, 2016, 03:08:10 PM »
I would agree there is a difference between a remake and a movie that uses the same basic plot.  IMO, the Magnificent Seven not really a remake.  If they decided to make another one, but with an alien invasion, would it still be a remake?

I am not sure where to draw the line.  Some it depends on the creativity and skill of the people doing the movie.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #104 on: August 11, 2016, 03:27:10 PM »
This has been discussed in several places already (and maybe even here), but Hollywood suffers from a serious lack of creativity today.

How many actually creative (and good) movies have been made in the past decade?

Off the top of my head, I can say Inception... which, among other things, spawned the copycats of the Inception sound, ironically.  Even PIXAR has done about half sequels, and I consider them the most creative studio currently in Hollywood. (The most creative of their movies in this time period was WALL-E, so I guess I've got 2... and checking Wiki, in production they have 3 sequels and one original...)

We've had some good movies of existing ideas (Nolan's Batmans), but I'm hard pressed to note many others.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #105 on: August 11, 2016, 08:12:42 PM »

Not a remake. Neither is True Grit, but for different reasons.

That's why I included the term "reimagining"

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #106 on: August 11, 2016, 10:34:22 PM »
That's why I included the term "reimagining"

I don't think O Brother is a "reimagining." It draws heavily from The Odyssey, but it's an original story. I don't say that to defend it, since I'm indifferent to the movie.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #107 on: August 11, 2016, 11:07:00 PM »
IMO, the Magnificent Seven not really a remake.  If they decided to make another one, but with an alien invasion, would it still be a remake?

They did decide to do a remake of The Magnificent seven. Coming soon to a theater near you:

http://screenrant.com/magnificent-seven-remake-2016-images-trailer/

https://youtu.be/deSRpSn8Pyk
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #108 on: August 11, 2016, 11:50:35 PM »
They did decide to do a remake of The Magnificent seven. Coming soon to a theater near you:

http://screenrant.com/magnificent-seven-remake-2016-images-trailer/

https://youtu.be/deSRpSn8Pyk

The remake looks like it might actually be good.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #109 on: August 12, 2016, 12:10:56 AM »
The remake looks like it might actually be good.

IMHO, not good enough to pay money to see it in a theater.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design