Author Topic: California: Assembly bill would disable encryption on all phones  (Read 1810 times)

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2016/03/worried-about-apple-california-has-bill-would-disable-encryption-all-phones

Smartphone users in California take notice: a new CA State Assembly bill would ban default encryption features on all smartphones. Assembly Bill 1681, introduced in January by Assembly member Jim Cooper, would require any smartphone sold in California “to be capable of being decrypted and unlocked by its manufacturer or its operating system provider.” This is perhaps even more drastic than the legal precedent at stake in Apple’s ongoing showdown with the Justice Department, in which the government is trying to force a private company to write code undermining key security features in specific cases.

Both Apple and Google currently encrypt smartphones running their iOS and Android operating systems by default. A.B. 1681 would undo this default, penalizing manufacturers and providers of operating systems $2,500 per device that cannot be decrypted at the time of sale.

Once again, California Democrats prove they're even more stupid than their D.C. counterparts.

""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

brimic

• friends
Re: California: Assembly bill would disable encryption on all phones
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2016, 08:45:20 PM »
IOW.... california is now looking to treat the 1st and 4th like they currently treat the 2nd....
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2016, 10:28:23 PM »
It would be entertaining if they both just stopped selling phones in California.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

brimic

• friends
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2016, 10:31:59 PM »
It would be entertaining if they both just stopped selling phones in California.
There's always the california compliant flip phones.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

HankB

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2016, 01:21:53 AM »
I see some custom phone software being developed in Silicon Valley over the next few years . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2016, 01:19:18 PM »
I see some custom phone software being developed in Silicon Valley over the next few years . . .

Why?  There are already third party encrypted messengers, Orbot, APG, K9 Mail, and some encrypted notepad type apps for Android, at least.  No need to reinvent the wheel.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2016, 01:46:16 PM »

How about those companies also pull whatever presence they may have in California while they are at it.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2016, 02:16:06 PM »
I hope they pass this, and all the Silicone Valley firms move to Seattle. The inevitable riots after folks can't buy smartphones anymore would be entertaining.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2016, 02:22:55 PM »
I hope they pass this, and all the Silicone Valley firms move to Seattle. The inevitable riots after folks can't buy get free smartphones anymore would be entertaining.

FIFY
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2016, 02:27:14 PM »
No chance of this being passed. It's actually something I would expect from a Republican (nationally) or one of the LA hispanic nanny Democrats. The San Fran hipster Democrats would all riot if it passed.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2016, 09:41:52 PM »

I see a huge increase in cell phone sales in Arizona and Nevada.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2016, 08:04:24 AM »
I see a huge increase in cell phone sales in Arizona and Nevada.

That's what I was thinking!  Setup a store off of the first exit from the CA border. Profit!
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2016, 10:21:26 AM »
That's what I was thinking!  Setup a store off of the first exit from the CA border. Profit!

A new mission for the Yermo Inspection Station?  "Sir, do you have any fresh fruits, vegetables, or Apples in your car?"
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.