Author Topic: Moon Shot.  (Read 1426 times)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Moon Shot.
« on: March 15, 2016, 10:28:24 PM »
Kind of a rare catch. Under just the right conditions and timing there are a couple of features visible on the moon that resemble the letters "V" and "X". They are formed when crater walls are illuminated at just the right time of night and phase of the moon.
I got a heads up from a photography website I frequent and managed to catch them tonight. The "V" is about in the middle along the dark/light line and the "X" is to the left about halfway also along the dark/light line.

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: Moon Shot.
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2016, 10:44:12 PM »
Here is a daylight shot I grabbed a few hours earlier

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2016, 11:46:55 PM »
Tphbbbtt.  Everyone knows the moon is made of Stilton.
Formerly sumpnz

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2016, 12:57:27 AM »
Cooooool.
Been meaning to post these. Here are some shots of the moon through FLIR from a few years ago.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10jClInZGIE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eh1r1GFVT28
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2016, 01:09:45 AM »
Kind of a rare catch. Under just the right conditions and timing there are a couple of features visible on the moon that resemble the letters "V" and "X". They are formed when crater walls are illuminated at just the right time of night and phase of the moon.
I got a heads up from a photography website I frequent and managed to catch them tonight. The "V" is about in the middle along the dark/light line and the "X" is to the left about halfway also along the dark/light line.
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b398/FLHRI-OK/moon%20X_V%201%20of%201.jpg

Here is a daylight shot I grabbed a few hours earlier
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b398/FLHRI-OK/moon%20daylight%201%20of%201.jpg

Nice. What lens were you using?

Cooooool.
Been meaning to post these. Here are some shots of the moon through FLIR from a few years ago.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10jClInZGIE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eh1r1GFVT28

Yer vids are set to private. They need to be changed to "unlisted" if you want us to be able to see them but don't want them to be searchable. ;)

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2016, 02:33:42 AM »
These were shot with my Canon 70D and Canon 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM @400mm exposure for the night shot is 1/400, f/7.1, ISO400. I dont have the day shot info handy. Hand held on both.

Samuel Adams

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2016, 05:18:52 PM »
Yer vids are set to private. They need to be changed to "unlisted" if you want us to be able to see them but don't want them to be searchable. ;)

Fixed.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2016, 10:54:36 PM »
FLIR camera on a CIWS mount?
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2016, 11:05:37 PM »
No, SH60.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2016, 09:40:27 PM »
Cool
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.