Author Topic: Abandoned America  (Read 2694 times)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Abandoned America
« on: March 17, 2016, 06:13:53 PM »
Did a little exploring yesterday.  I'd first seen this bridge from the water 6-7 years ago when I paddled my canoe up this stream while fishing. Finally got around to finding it from the ground.
Best information I can find says it was built in 1930 but bridge aficionados say it looks quite a bit older. I haven't found anything on when it was abandoned. I did find site that listed an inspection report from 2007 that list the deck in "FAIR" condition.

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Abandoned America
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2016, 06:16:49 PM »
I did find site that listed an inspection report from 2007 that list the deck in "FAIR" condition.

Has it been downgraded a bit since then?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2016, 07:17:57 PM »

Has it been downgraded a bit since then?

One would wonder.  There is that hole in the deck that looks pretty new.  One's foot could fall through that hole if they tried to walk across.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 12:24:06 AM by RocketMan »
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2016, 07:48:50 PM »
Union - built, no doubt. :angel:
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2016, 07:49:10 PM »
Izzat NRA Antique "Fair?"
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2016, 08:38:14 PM »
Do I-beams make good knives?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2016, 09:43:03 PM »
Do I-beams make good knives?

No, but they would make a dandy building to make knives in.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2016, 07:40:36 AM »
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

HankB

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2016, 08:16:36 AM »
Is there any pavement remaining on the roads that lead up to it?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2016, 09:34:25 AM »
I'm surprised it wasn't stripped out when scrap prices were high.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2016, 10:44:04 AM »

Got one similar near here that there aren't even any road sections leading to.  As in, there's not even a swath of obviously younger trees where the road would have been in either direction.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2016, 11:17:51 AM »
There is a similar steel bridge near here that was absorbed by a local park.  It was built sometime in the 1870s.  The deck was mostly gone until the park rebuilt it.

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2016, 12:14:02 PM »
Of course, we've also got this one nearby: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluff_Dale_Suspension_Bridge

Actually got to ride across it in a car a time or two before they blocked it to vehicles.  Walking across, it's easy to get the whole thing swinging.

It's quite possibly the oldest surviving example of a cable stayed bridge design in North America.  Barton Creek Bridge was a year older, but there's not much left of it: http://www.thc.state.tx.us/preserve/historic-bridges-texas/suspension-bridges/barton-creek-bridge

brimic

• friends
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2016, 12:44:06 PM »
Meh, you guys and your fancy newfangled metal bridges...
This one is about 4 miles north of where I live.
http://wisconsin-explorer.blogspot.com/2014/06/the-last-covered-bridge-in-wisconsin.html
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2016, 01:30:42 PM »
I'm surprised it wasn't stripped out when scrap prices were high.

Probably too big and too dangerous to handle without heavy equipment, whether it was an "official" sanctioned scrapping, or illegal. And presumably it's not going to be cost-effective to get cranes out there etc.

I don't think you could just show up with a torch and an angle-grinder and just hack away on the bridge, then there's the issue of getting the steel or iron out of there even if you did cut it up, or collapse the bridge in the most lazy/dangerous way possible.
I promise not to duck.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2016, 01:49:10 PM »
. . .  collapse the bridge in the most lazy/dangerous way possible.
Detcord?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2016, 01:54:40 PM »
Detcord?

Only if you can rig it to blow all the metal on a ballistic path to the scrapyard of your choice. I don't think even the most desperate tweaker is going to try dragging a couple tons of metal through the woods.
I promise not to duck.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2016, 02:33:47 PM »
A couple years ago the scrap gypsies were taking anything and everything with pickups and a torch set. Some of them would go to significant effort and had no reservations even if they only took the convenient parts.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2016, 02:47:28 PM »
Probably too big and too dangerous to handle without heavy equipment, whether it was an "official" sanctioned scrapping, or illegal. And presumably it's not going to be cost-effective to get cranes out there etc.

Take it down during a drought, disassemble to man-liftable chunks and stack it on the banks.  Next good rain, raft it down to the nearest easy spot for a trailer.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2016, 07:02:44 PM »

The road that bridge was on was never paved. In dry times you can drive to within about 100 yds of it on the North side and a little over 200 on the south. From the north where I came in to it there  huge piles of ripped up asphalt on the old road bed to block access to the bridge  It's now on Corps of Engineer/Wildlife Management Area land.

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2016, 09:32:50 PM »
Meh, you guys and your fancy newfangled metal bridges...
This one is about 4 miles north of where I live.
http://wisconsin-explorer.blogspot.com/2014/06/the-last-covered-bridge-in-wisconsin.html
Got you beat by a few years. Local to me 1872.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_Sergeant's_Covered_Bridge
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods