Author Topic: Background checks  (Read 1173 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Background checks
« on: March 20, 2016, 06:39:24 PM »
At my church, we've discussed doing background checks on Sunday School workers, for preemptive CYA purposes. Can anyone recommend a web site or other service that could do this affordably?

Thanks.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Re: Background checks
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2016, 08:21:26 PM »
I would ask the church's liability insurance company for a recommendation.  They may well have an actual program for their insureds on how to reduce potential liability from church workers in contact with children.  It is a big area of payouts.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2016, 10:20:57 PM »
Don't most states have a kiddie diddler look up web site?
If there not on that than unfortunately they have not been caught yet. So that makes it difficult.
I would not really have a fear of anyone else personally.
The catch and release system we have either creates a career criminal or a changed person. If there volunteering at a church I would call them reformed.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2016, 12:12:36 AM »
If there volunteering at a church I would call them reformed.

Or a wolf in sheep's clothing.  Predators go to where there are prey....

And yes, check the kiddie diddler lists for your area  there is usually a search feature along with contacting your Liability Carrier for who they recommend.  There are quite a few companies that do the background check thing, but be careful.  Some do nothing more then use one of those "Stalk Find Info on Anyone for $9.95"  then charge you $79.95.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2016, 08:21:26 AM »
If they were ever in Illinois, run their name through https://judici.com/.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2016, 10:38:59 AM »
The catch and release system we have either creates a career criminal or a changed person. If there volunteering at a church I would call them reformed.

In the risk management seminars on this subject that I attend, a consistent theme is that sex offenders, especially those who offend with children, gravitate toward places where children are.  This is why you see a disproportionate number of these offenses occurring in school settings, Scouting, religious settings, healthcare settings, retail geared towards children and the like.  Volunteering can be especially problematic since many people think the best of the volunteers, or they are in a volunteer setting that does not screen them, either at all, or adequately.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re:
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2016, 02:28:21 PM »
Worst thing about most of those background check companies is that there background checks are woefully incomplete one can get a false sense of security
I ran my own name and the misinformation and more importantly missing information is really disturbing to me

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
Re:
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2016, 03:38:50 PM »
Worst thing about most of those background check companies is that there background checks are woefully incomplete one can get a false sense of security
I ran my own name and the misinformation and more importantly missing information is really disturbing to me

Yeah, it's amazing what I can get away with using a fake ID in your name.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2016, 03:42:02 PM »
If they were ever in Illinois, run their name through https://judici.com/.

Well, obviously, we're not letting Illinoisy-uns in our church at all. They can go worship on Mount Gerizim.  :P
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: Re:
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2016, 04:07:32 PM »
Yeah, it's amazing what I can get away with using a fake ID in your name.
I had an employee open up accounts at a bunch of building supply houses and am using my name and I got a credit card in my name that really made me laugh I can't imagine the time what kind of interest rate he was paying
To his credit he paid off all the balances and I would never found out except I try to open an account at one of the stores they told me already had one

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I