Author Topic: Sunglasses etiquette  (Read 3639 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Sunglasses etiquette
« on: April 05, 2016, 11:15:30 AM »
I work at a parts counter, and people sometimes come in with sunglasses on, and stand there for 20 minutes talking to me, sunglasses still in place. Am I the only one who thinks this is a bit rude?

When I worked in maintenance, I would sometimes have people pull up next to me while I was working outside, and ask for directions or something. When that happened, I would usually take off my sunglasses, even if the sun was hitting me right in the face. It just seems courteous to me, for whatever reason.

Is it just me?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Re: Sunglasses etiquette
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2016, 11:26:54 AM »
Not just you, but it is oldphartness.

Maybe the sunglasses are prescription.  Or probably they are just lazy.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2016, 11:35:35 AM »
I generally put my sunglasses on my head when I go inside somewhere, just because I was raised with the "look them in the eye" thing. If I'm outside though, such as eating al fresco at a restaurant, I will keep them on for comfort, depending on where the sun is. If I were giving directions, my politeness would be based on if the sun is in front of or behind me. :)

Also as Fly320s mentioned, they could be prescription. Or in my case, I have some fly fishing sunglasses that are bifocal so I can see what I'm doing when I tie itty bitty flies. Because I need reading glasses nowadays, I'll also wear them into the fly shop so I can read print in the fly bins. I'll also sometimes wear them at the aforementioned restaurant so I can read the menu. So there's always the chance that some of your customers have the bifocal sunglasses (it's easier than carrying two sets of glasses around).
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2016, 12:38:49 PM »
My sunglasses are prescription/progressive and while I will normally change out to my clear glasses when going inside if it is just a quick in and out I will leave my sunglasses on. I also wear sunglass on some overcast days, light overcast. I am at the age where a lot of people are getting their lenses replaced due to cataracts and the doc says I am not even close. I guess the habit of wearing sunglasses over the last 45 years or so is paying off. ;)

bob

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2016, 01:07:48 PM »
My glasses have Transition lenses, and it takes about 10 minutes or so for them to go clear after being outside in the sun.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2016, 01:13:10 PM »
OK. Points taken, and input appreciated.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2016, 01:21:22 PM »
1. Transition lenses.  My specs got 'em.
2. POWER!  DOMINANCE!  Mayhap your customers are playing a dominance game with you.  Hiding one's eyes behind opaque lenses is a common means to assert social dominance.  Think the mirror-lensed state trooper...and the advice from folk who suggest taking one's sunglasses off when speaking with John Q Law.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

grampster

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2016, 01:31:35 PM »
When you cool, the sun always shine. ;)
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2016, 01:36:55 PM »

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2016, 01:37:26 PM »
 :cool: Being a denizen of the dark I wear sunglasses pretty much anytime I'm out and about during daytime hours.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2016, 03:35:45 PM »
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2016, 03:40:06 PM »
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2016, 03:42:09 PM »
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

wmenorr67

• friend

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2016, 03:45:16 PM »

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2016, 03:46:02 PM »

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2016, 03:58:13 PM »
Dad almost always has his sunglasses on.

He lost an eye to sun cancer, so he's anal about protecting the other eye. The sunglasses are prescription and have protective shatter proof lenses. HIs other outside/doing stuff set is tinted yellow. He will still wear his old regular glasses at home at night, but other than that, it's his super glasses.

He also lost an eye. People are sometimes upset by the sight. So, sunglasses means they don't have to see the demon eye. Unless you want too. He doesn't mind showing off.  :lol:
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2016, 04:11:10 PM »
We used to have a grouchy (mean, rude, cantankerous) old fart that would come in to see us and he had this gaping hole where his right eye should have been. His face was being consumed by cancer which he didn't want treatment for, he just wanted pain meds (wait, wasn't there a thread about that? ;)  ). He would wear his patch until he got to the bed and then would take it off exposing the weeping cavern in his face.

I was like

1. Really, that's the best you can do, I have seen much worse

2. If you think you can play on my sympathy you obviously have mistaken me for someone else, perhaps somebody who gives a *expletive deleted*it.

He should have worn sun glasses.   =|

bob

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2016, 04:28:31 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2LTL8KgKv8

How did no one post this yet?
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2016, 04:29:57 PM »
Maybe they are blinded by how awesome you are?

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2016, 04:35:34 PM »
He also lost an eye. People are sometimes upset by the sight. So, sunglasses means they don't have to see the demon eye.

If I were missing an eye, I would be so tempted to get a mirrored ball in the socket.

And for the other side.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2016, 04:40:10 PM »
If I were missing an eye, I would be so tempted to get a mirrored ball in the socket.

And for the other side.

When we still thought it would actually be a removable ball type prosthesis, Dad was jonesing for a Terminator eye.

The way it is, I don't think we could get a battery/light small enough to fit over the permanent stuff.

Could still do a Watchman style smiley face, though...
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2016, 04:40:28 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2LTL8KgKv8

How did no one post this yet?

Actually I posted a version of it a couple of posts above.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2016, 05:02:57 PM »
Actually I posted a version of it a couple of posts above.

The rest of us won't admit to knowing a Corey Hart song.
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden