Author Topic: The siren song of my people.  (Read 1633 times)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
The siren song of my people.
« on: April 26, 2016, 11:47:02 PM »
Spring time in tornado ally the song is tornado sirens.
Just go off the phone with a co-worker in another town, could here the sirens in the background. He decided he had work to do in the basement.
No sirens here yet but I don't have a basement or even an interior room with no outside walls.
Should all be on by by midnight here.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: The siren song of my people.
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2016, 11:51:12 PM »
Holy carp! It does sound like a freight train!
Oh, wait, that was a freight train, BNSF to be specific..

=D
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2016, 12:21:41 AM »
Holy carp! It does sound like a freight train!
Oh, wait, that was a freight train, BNSF to be specific..

=D

Having had one pass overhead, yes they DO indeed sound like trains!
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2016, 07:41:36 AM »
Sirens went off here in Tulsa last night around 10:30 or so, nothing specific just a wide swath that was subject to spin something up at anytime and anywhere.

There are a few places with damage and reports of at least one or two small tornadoes in the area.

All I had at my place was 50 mph or so winds that lasted all of 5-10 min and then some rain.

Most of it gone for today, another round possibly tomorrow.

http://www.newson6.com/

Local news channel that I mainly watch.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2016, 09:11:24 AM »
Having had one pass overhead, yes they DO indeed sound like trains!
Were you under a bridge or something?  I never sat under one when a train was going over.

The gun range I belong to is alongside a railroad track.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2016, 11:20:14 AM »
I was 5 1/2 when the tornado outbreak of 1974 happened.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1974_Super_Outbreak

I remember seeing a tornado in the distance.  I remember my mother grabbing my brother up (he was 1 1/2) and getting us down to the basement.  My grandfather had a place in northern Kentucky that took some minor damage (really minor) and I remember going with him and my father to work on the clean up, driving through some of the damaged areas in the Cincinnati area around the Ohio River, and seeing the destruction.

I'll never live in a home without a basement.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2016, 11:50:34 AM »
I grew up in southwest Oklahoma. The tornado sirens were a signal for the local kids to hop on their bicycles and head for the hill so we could try to see the tornado.

I was at the stock car races later in life (high school) when we watched a tornado dip out of the clouds about 2-3 miles away and start traversing parallel to the race track, they didn't even stop the races. It was small and headed away.

I now know that frequency without concern leads to complacency and sometimes bad things up to and including death. ;) 

When I moved back to OK in the late 90's I paid very close attention to the weather warnings and took them seriously.

bob

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2016, 01:24:10 PM »
Should all be on by by midnight here.

Sounds like the same watch we had yesterday.  Schools and day cares closed at 2PM for a watch that ended at midnight.  Last actual warning was last week one morning from 3-4AM, with most people only getting notified at 3:50.  I read the text message, checked to make sure the rock walls were still in place and went back to sleep.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2016, 09:13:52 PM »
Were you under a bridge or something?  I never sat under one when a train was going over.

The gun range I belong to is alongside a railroad track.

At the time, we lived 50 to 100 yards from train tracks. The tornado killed 2 people about a block away dropping a tree on a truck they took shelter in.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!