Author Topic: Powerblock Dumbbells?  (Read 871 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Powerblock Dumbbells?
« on: May 01, 2016, 03:50:41 PM »
The one thing I miss about the gym is having an assortment of dumbbells. I saw these powerblock dumbbells on sale at Woot and was wondering if anyone has ever used them? I've seen them around, but have never tried them. Just curious if they're worth the not unsubstantial cost for the weight selection and space savings.

http://www.woot.com/offers/powerblock-personal-trainer-adjustable-dumbbell-set-1?ref=w_cnt_gw_dly_img
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
Re: Powerblock Dumbbells?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2016, 09:25:31 PM »
While I'm far from a Luddite, unless you're currently embroiled in a to-the-teeth lawsuit with your municipality over your micro-domicile, these seem gimmicky to me.  I have a dumbbell set of the more conventional design, with screw-on caps (Weider style?)  I have four plates each of 2.5, 5, 7.5, 10, 15, and 25, though the last are really too big for single-handed dumbells and are used mostly for barbells, free-swinging stuff, and inside my ruck.

Limiting my comparison to the smaller plates that add up to 50 lbs each, I'm still not looking at that much acreage taken up in my basement workout room, especially compared to the larger plates, weight bench, and barbell bar.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2016, 10:32:45 AM »
I typically use kettlebells, but concur that conventional set is probably more functional. But those PowerBlock thingies are likely much more expensive while looking theoretically prettier. Personally, I find them ugly as well as expensive.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

CypherNinja

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2016, 03:06:00 PM »
I've heard a lot of 'meh' about them. Expensive, and the selector mechanism can be finicky. Wear probably does not help on that front either.

Most people who've had them seem to recommend not bothering. It could work for you, but it introduces a hassle during workouts that gets old real quick.

If I was doing presses I'd be thinking about that locking mechanism every second they were above my head.  [tinfoil]
“Fear of death increases in exact proportion to increase in wealth,” Hemingway once said. Today, many of us have become rich in the currency of cowardice. We have so many things and so few experiences. We are desperate to live as long as possible, not as large as possible. We are so afraid to say goodbye to the world that we never say hello.
-Marty Beckerman (from a Wired article of all things)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2016, 03:18:40 PM »
Okay, kinda confirms where I was leaning given the rather high price.

While I recognize that dumbbell bars with slip on weights do the same thing and are cheaper, I just don't like spending the time to swap weights on that type as I like to quickly transition between exercises, which is why I liked just grabbing what I needed from the hex sets at the gym.

I only have a 40lb set of those though, that I used to use at home on off days from the gym. Too light for presses though. I don't have a big space issue, but just didn't want a bunch of extra dumbbells for no reason. I might look at just getting a 70lb set of hex dumbbells (about all the weight I want to press in repetitions anymore as an old guy) and just using my TRX and bodyweight for curls and stuff, which I've been doing anyway.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2016, 06:56:38 PM »
While I recognize that dumbbell bars with slip on weights do the same thing and are cheaper, I just don't like spending the time to swap weights on that type as I like to quickly transition between exercises, which is why I liked just grabbing what I needed from the hex sets at the gym.

Watch garage sales and build up a set that lets you keep your 2-3 normal sizes set up all the time.

erictank

• friends
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2016, 07:58:03 AM »
Watch garage sales and build up a set that lets you keep your 2-3 normal sizes set up all the time.

This, probably.  I've looked at the ones you find on Woot and the Bowflex brand name ones, and for the price, it just doesn't seem worth it.  Selector is indeed finicky, from the testing I got to do while I was a member at Lifetime in Columbia (they had off-brand ones on some of the ellipticals, of all things, and we used them sometimes for class), and they aren't as sturdy.  Dumbbell handles and locks aren't all that expensive, especially if you look for store or personal sales.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2016, 09:40:38 AM »
Living in a college town, the only reason I don't have a dumpster-dived-and-garage-saled gym to rival most fitness clubs in my garage is that I haven't owned a pickup in more than a decade.  It's usually "must take all" with a huge weight bench, elliptical, treadmill, freestanding pullup bar or some other thing that wouldn't fit in the back of anything but a pickup.

The scrapyard would probably start wondering after a while too, considering I'd have probably ended up with at least 4 weight benches last summer.  They're like standardized yard art when the frat houses get cleaned out.