Author Topic: Bartender, a can of America please  (Read 1794 times)

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
Bartender, a can of America please
« on: May 10, 2016, 12:29:30 PM »
http://www.cnbc.com/2016/05/10/budweiser-has-a-new-name-and-that-name-is-america.html

Budweiser is renaming itself to "America".  This is not a parody or joke.

K...

wmenorr67

• friend
Re: Bartender, a can of America please
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2016, 12:34:27 PM »
 :facepalm: :facepalm:

No amount of marketing is going to get them reverse the trend of them losing market share.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2016, 01:03:10 PM »
:facepalm: :facepalm:

No amount of marketing is going to get them reverse the trend of them losing market share.
Nope.

Perhaps they should try making their beer not taste like watered down fermented donkey piss.

But I suspect they'll continue gobbling up OK tasting beers and adding them to their portfolio, since they can't fix their own. Sadly, some of the beers they gobble up they can't resist *expletive deleted*ing with the recipe and adding a flare of watered down fermented donkey pissedness to the brew. And then wondering why folks stop buying it.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2016, 01:29:37 PM »
I was never a fan of Budweiser America, but the more craptastic beers made by hipster microbrewers that taste like an alcoholic tea made from a combination of  pine needles and asian lady beetles, the more I can appreciate a light lager beer like Budweiser.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2016, 01:34:46 PM »
Budweiser is renaming itself to "America".  This is not a parody or joke.

Of course not; it's an ideal metaphor.  Watered down, wimped out, emasculated and failing.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2016, 01:41:51 PM »
It's sure to get them on some "patriotic/constitutionalist/watch them" list somewhere.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2016, 03:17:53 PM »
To be honest, their former glory was enhanced by friendly beer distribution laws/regulations in a number of states that made if difficult for local beers to be produced.  However, the Budweiser name is pretty big and at some point in the past, people drank it because they preferred it.  This just seems like a last gasp on the way down the toilet. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2016, 03:24:26 PM »
Budweiser going away is only worrisome to me for one reason.

What's going to happen to the Clydesdale's?  :'(
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

brimic

• friends
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2016, 03:27:12 PM »
Budweiser going away is only worrisome to me for one reason.

What's going to happen to the Clydesdale's?  :'(

Glue and puppy chow  >:D

Barack Obama

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2016, 03:36:29 PM »
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2016, 06:13:45 PM »
Budweiser isn't even an American company anymore; they're owned by the *expletive deleted*ing Belgians.  :facepalm:
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2016, 10:18:35 PM »
So a beer started by Germans, named after a Bohemian Czechoslovakian town, now owned by Belgians is being re-named after the US. 

Not that I care as I can't stand Budweiser.  It always gave me a headache. 
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2016, 10:26:50 PM »
Budweiser was a mainstay of my 20s (Hey, I was friggin' close to broke, and that was the only cheap beer I could actually stand.  Natural just gave me horrible headaches and Miller High-Life stopped tasting decent for some reason,)

Now? I'd once in a while grab a 12 pack, if I felt like slumming it/drinking on the cheap.

If my dad were still alive, this would probably kill him, either through confusion or laughter.
"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2016, 11:16:45 PM »
I was never a fan of Budweiser America, but the more craptastic beers made by hipster microbrewers that taste like an alcoholic tea made from a combination of  pine needles and asian lady beetles, the more I can appreciate a light lager beer like Budweiser.

^^^ This

Of course, now that medical problems have decreed that I can't imbibe anything alcoholic, I'm stuck with O'Doul's or O'Doul's dark if I want to quaff something vaguely beer-like.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2016, 08:14:28 AM »
Budwesier has a solid ad campaign, the name change is only temporary lasting the election cycle. They do American flags on cans every summer for last couple of years for Independence Day.

I used to run a Friday beer garden for several years in the summer and we'd out sell microbrews 10 to 1 with bud and bud light. I don't like Budwesier, tastes too sweet to me and gives me a wicked hangover.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

grampster

• friend
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2016, 09:28:39 AM »
We drank PBR as kids.  69 cents a six pack in those days.  I stopped drinking it years ago.  I had a couple 16 oz cans on Taco Thursday at Nick Fink's Tavern here in Comstock Park.  It actually didn't taste so bad at all at $2.00 a can.  But I digress...

I've always hated Bud.  Never liked it's taste.  I'll admit to not being a beer aficionado.  I like sweeter beers, low in hops.   Thus when I drink beer it's Miller High Life, Labatts, Molson and Yuengling, not necessarily in that order.  I'll do an occasional black and tan.  As for micro brews I go for whatever they have that is low in hops.  Beer taste is very subjective in my view.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re:
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2016, 06:33:10 AM »
Never drink beer
selling one in five beers sold in the world gives them a pretty significant market share

In the USA they have 45% market share

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2016, 09:41:17 AM »
Budwesier has a solid ad campaign, the name change is only temporary lasting the election cycle. They do American flags on cans every summer for last couple of years for Independence Day.

I used to run a Friday beer garden for several years in the summer and we'd out sell microbrews 10 to 1 with bud and bud light. I don't like Budwesier, tastes too sweet to me and gives me a wicked hangover.

All the major beer makers sell a lot of beer.  Lots of people love to dump on them, but a lot of people drink it.  I always liked to drink Coors Light.  Everyone complained that is tasted like water.  However, at the end of the day, the Coors Light and other light beers were gone and the fancy crap was still there.  

I don't care much.  I will drink what I want to drink, but I am amused sometimes by all the wine beer connoisseur talk.  It is an interest I don't share.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2016, 02:33:27 PM »
All the major beer makers sell a lot of beer.  Lots of people love to dump on them, but a lot of people drink it.  I always liked to drink Coors Light.  Everyone complained that is tasted like water.  However, at the end of the day, the Coors Light and other light beers were gone and the fancy crap was still there.  

I don't care much.  I will drink what I want to drink, but I am amused sometimes by all the wine beer connoisseur talk.  It is an interest I don't share.
I drink a lot of Miller Lite. Last weekend an old Vietnam vet had a cooler full of Budwesier, asked me if I wanted a beer, I said yes it's my favorite kind of beer, free and cold. Brought a smile to his face.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2016, 02:46:38 PM »
I drink a lot of Miller Lite. Last weekend an old Vietnam vet had a cooler full of Budwesier, asked me if I wanted a beer, I said yes it's my favorite kind of beer, free and cold. Brought a smile to his face.

+infinity
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2016, 01:05:46 PM »
Miller Lite and PBR are OK backyard party beers. A couple other inexpensive beers work also.

Bud, however, is straight up nasty.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2016, 02:05:36 PM »
Miller Lite and PBR are OK backyard party beers. A couple other inexpensive beers work also.

Bud, however, is straight up nasty.

Reminds me..
Went to the 'Beer School' tent at Sea World a long time ago- it was literally the only place I had seen any form of beer in 3 days when I was down there...  =(
The presenter poured us small glasses of beer- one was slightly darker than the other- and he started talking about beer quality.
He had us taste both glasses of beer, and asked if anyone knew what was going on. Someone chimed in "the darker one is skunky", Presenter told him he was right, the beer was skunked. All the time I was thinking that it tasted exactly like every budweiser that I've ever drank  =|

Apparantly, that's the story with Heineken. It used to come to the US via ship, and by the time it hit the shelves in America, it was several months old and the packaging wasn't the best for keeping it fresh- Americans thought Heineken was supposed to taste like a skunk's ass, so Heineken made sure that the beer coming to America had their trademark skunk taste afterward.

Barack Obama