Author Topic: Unintended Consequences  (Read 2274 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Unintended Consequences
« on: May 23, 2016, 07:00:07 PM »
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_MEXICAN_AMERICAN_TEXTBOOKS_TEXAS?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2016-05-23-15-53-32

It seems that Mexican-American activists have been pushing to get the public school curriculum in Texas revised to play up the part played by Mexicans in Texas history. So now there's a book that delves into it in some detail, and the Mexican-American activists are upset because it's not the paean they were looking for.

"Paradoxically, we pressed for the board to include texts on Mexican-American studies, and we achieved it, but not in the way we were expecting," Tony Diaz, host of Nuestra Palabra (Our Word) radio program in Houston and director of Intercultural Initiatives at Lone Star College-North Harris, told the Houston Chronicle (http://bit.ly/244zWSq ). "Instead of a text that is respectful of the Mexican-American history, we have a book poorly written, racist, and prepared by non-experts."

Karma is a female dog ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re: Unintended Consequences
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2016, 07:19:02 PM »
"Frankly, that author is not recognized as someone who is part of the Mexican-American studies scholarship and most individuals engaged in scholarship will not recognize her as an author."

If someone actually has Mexican-American studies credentials, they are unsuited to much of anything, given the *-studies class of credentials are nothing more than political activism masquerading as scholarship.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2016, 07:32:38 PM »
If someone actually has Mexican-American studies credentials, they are unsuited to much of anything, given the *-studies class of credentials are nothing more than political activism masquerading as scholarship.

Agreed. [_Anything_]-American Studies is, IMHO by definition, biased and prejudiced. Whatever happened to "American History"? (Yes, I know -- it was labeled "racist" and decried as being to white and too Euro-centric. Funny thing, though -- I grew up in the days before we had Afro-American Studies, Mexican-American Studies, Native American Studies, and such, and I remember being taught about the fact that most of the early explorers -- the conquistadores -- were Spanish or Portuguese. "Mexicans" are late-comers to this continent, just like the rest of us in los Etados Unidos.)

I'm getting very tired of revisionist histories.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2016, 12:25:01 AM »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2016, 08:20:54 AM »
"Anglo-American Studies". 
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2016, 09:40:46 AM »

General studies?

(Noticed you can actually get a MA in that in a couple places.  Must make for some interesting theses.)

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2016, 01:34:57 PM »
General studies?

(Noticed you can actually get a MA in that in a couple places.  Must make for some interesting theses.)

You can do that at my school, I think.  When I read the webpage on it(while cleaning up the backend code) it's actually used as a catch-all when you're looking to specialize in a field that is a hybrid between two or three colleges that we do have.

So if you wanted a masters in Theater Management, and not just business management or theater arts, that's what you'd get.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2016, 01:58:37 PM »
I remember several years back when Mexican illegal aliens (and their advocates) organized "A Day Without a Mexican" during which all Mexicans were expected to boycott all stores, just to demonstrate the economic impact of all the products they buy.

The next day the news was doing a live interview with a store manager, and asked him if he noticed any economic impact.

"Well, sort of . . . shoplifting was down 40%."

:rofl:
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2016, 05:53:52 PM »
Obviously it wasn't the right version of history...
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2016, 12:51:46 PM »
I'm going to just drop this here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_of_Guadalupe_Hidalgo

The treaty called for the US to pay $15 million to Mexico and to pay off the claims of American citizens against Mexico up to $3.25 million. It gave the United States the Rio Grande as a boundary for Texas, and gave the US ownership of California and a large area comprising roughly half of New Mexico, most of Arizona, Nevada, Utah, and parts of Wyoming and Colorado. Mexicans in those annexed areas had the choice of relocating to within Mexico's new boundaries or receiving American citizenship with full civil rights. Over 90% chose to become US citizens.

(Bolding mine.)

Terry, 230RN
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2016, 01:02:42 PM »
If they visit the Alamo, it is right there to see in the list of names of the defenders who died. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juan_Segu%C3%ADn
http://www.seguintexas.gov/
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2016, 05:45:07 PM »
Cultural diffusion and intermixing among the Amerindian populations with the European created the modern Mexican identity which is a mixture of regional indigenous and European cultures that evolved into a national culture during the Spanish period. This new identity was defined as "Mexican" shortly after the Mexican War of Independence and was more invigorated and developed after the Mexican Revolution when the Constitution of 1917 officially established Mexico as an indivisible pluricultural nation founded on its indigenous roots.

Since the vast majority of Mexicans are of Spanish decent and, IIRC, treated those of completely native blood rather poorly, I'm not sure they really have room to talk trash at those of us of other European decent or hold themselves up as some sort of pillars of perfection in the New World.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2016, 06:03:50 PM »
Since the vast majority of Mexicans are of Spanish decent and, IIRC, treated those of completely native blood rather poorly, I'm not sure they really have room to talk trash at those of us of other European decent or hold themselves up as some sort of pillars of perfection in the New World.

Hate-facts. The Mexicans have as much "right" to the land as we do, being just another offshoot of European colonialism. As everyone must admit, if we gave them Texas, California, etc, they would just become Mexican garbage heaps, full of poor peasants and wealthy drug cartels.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife