Author Topic: Does a walk-behind mower do a better job than riding mower?  (Read 5036 times)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
I've been thinking that I probably won't be able to mow the lawn for quite awhile. I'm thinking of getting a used riding mower.

I'm just wondering if there's any difference in the quality of the cut.

Opinions?

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: Does a walk-behind mower do a better job than riding mower?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2016, 10:05:40 AM »
If the design is sound and the blades properly sharpened, no. If you have a lot of curves-ridges-hills or other stuff that will make the mower deck tip a lot, yes. Most of the problem I see with riding mowers is people use the convenience as an excuse to not properly maintain them (especially blade maintenance) and a propensity to mow WAY TOO FAST!!!!

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2016, 10:06:58 AM »
Keep the deck level, blades sharp, and don't haul ass in top gear and a rider will cut great. The only real downside is there is more trimming.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2016, 10:13:13 AM »
If the design is sound and the blades properly sharpened, no. If you have a lot of curves-ridges-hills or other stuff that will make the mower deck tip a lot, yes. Most of the problem I see with riding mowers is people use the convenience as an excuse to not properly maintain them (especially blade maintenance) and a propensity to mow WAY TOO FAST!!!!

Brad

I only slow down from max speed when the height of the grass would cause the bagger to clog up.  I simply don't have time to mow often enough to slow down for optimal quality.

Though, I do really need to sharpen the blades.
Formerly sumpnz

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2016, 10:49:54 AM »
Not in my experience. Using them properly like any other mower works out just fine. You may need to do a little more trimmer work afterwards as you generally wont get in as close to things or in some tight spots with them.

Like any other wheeled vehicle be careful of soft areas/muddy ground to avoid getting stuck and tearing up the lawn getting unstuck. And if you have any slopes on your property be careful not to ride along them unless they are very slight. Many a folk has gone ass over tea kettle mower and flipped it that way.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2016, 10:57:33 AM »
Depends on soil.  If you have clay and your lawn is lumpy and uneven as clay yards are wont to be, the rider and mow deck is going to hop around and it won't cut even.  Also the decks are difficult, if not impossible to level.

If you have a smooth sandy type soil, and you can manage to level the deck and keep the deck level, it will cut level.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2016, 11:04:57 AM »
I have a rider, I spend as much time with a push mower trimming as I do on the rider. I mow about 16k sq ft. Once I got the blade heights equal on both, I can't tell the difference where I push mow or where I use the rider.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2016, 11:08:50 AM »
I've been thinking that I probably won't be able to mow the lawn for quite awhile. I'm thinking of getting a used riding mower.

Just to clarify, you mean you could mow with a rider, but not with a walk-behind?

I would suggest you get the rider, and not worry about whether the lawn looks just right. If you can't live with that, hire a neighbor kid, or a lawn service.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

brimic

• friends
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2016, 12:04:56 PM »
Golf course greens, well entire golf courses for that matter, are mowed with riding equipment- of course the mowers are reel-type, but the kind of precision is closer than most people shave their face.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

bedlamite

• friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2016, 12:14:20 PM »

Just to clarify, you mean you could mow with a rider, but not with a walk-behind?

I would suggest you get the rider, and not worry about whether the lawn looks just right. If you can't live with that, hire a neighbor kid, or a lawn service.

You obviously don't understand OCD.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2016, 12:50:32 PM »
My Husqvarna Lawn tractor does as good a job as my walk behind did.  That is to say, as good as I am willing to do.

I get pretty close to my edges as well. The tractor turns well.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2016, 01:09:29 PM »
Depending on how much you're willing to spend, you can get zero-turn riding mowers that get the job done so well there's almost no trimming to be done after mowing. They're at least as good as walk-behind mowers in that regard.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2016, 01:43:47 PM »
You obviously don't understand OCD.

I do understand OCD. I do understand OCD. I do understand OCD.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2016, 01:50:15 PM »
Golf course greens, well entire golf courses for that matter, are mowed with riding equipment- of course the mowers are reel-type, but the kind of precision is closer than most people shave their face.

Three-reel riders are available.  We used them for tees and aprons.  Not as persnickety as the greens mowers, but did require quite a bit of greasing and monitoring of measurements.  
And sharpening.  We hand sharpened the bastards.

eta link, because genuine  OCD doesn't come cheaply

https://www.toro.com/en/sports-fields-municipalities/reel-mowers/reelmaster-3100-d
7-11 was a part time job.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2016, 02:18:38 PM »
Three-reel riders are available.  We used them for tees and aprons.  Not as persnickety as the greens mowers, but did require quite a bit of greasing and monitoring of measurements.  

https://www.toro.com/en/sports-fields-municipalities/reel-mowers/reelmaster-3100-d

That thing looks like it's one crazy werewolf away from being a zombie shredder.  I could definitely not be trusted with it.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2016, 05:39:31 PM »

Yep, I've spent a fair amount of time adjusting bed knives and backlapping reels.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2016, 05:42:58 PM »
Thanks for the replies. Sounds like either one is fine.

The former owner of the house had a reel mower. I'm told the lawn looked like a putting green.

Fistful, I don't know how long it's going to take before I get my strength back. I have 7,000 square feet of lawn. That's not a lot, but on a hot Alabama day it's difficult. Right now I use a crappy Craftsman mower from the 1990's that has a loose handle. It's like trying to drive a car using the steering shaft u-joint.

bedlamite

• friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2016, 05:47:06 PM »
That thing looks like it's one crazy werewolf away from being a zombie shredder.  I could definitely not be trusted with it.

https://youtu.be/Vf0cQ6thWR8?t=7

p12

• friend
  • I SEE NOISES!!
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2016, 07:30:28 PM »
Right now I have a 42" craftsman 19.5 hp riding mower for the large front yard and a  husqvarna 7 hp self propelled push mower for the back yard. The back yard is texturf 10 I think. It's a putting green type of grass. The back yard is uneven and the riding mower will hack it up to much. If I ever replace the rider I'll get one of these http://www.mowersdirect.com/Cub-Cadet-13A221JD010-Lawn-Mower/p62654.html?gclid=CMPJkqvDj80CFQsPaQodJKMGJw not necessarily that brand. With the narrower deck it won't dig in as bad.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2016, 09:30:19 PM »
Thanks for the replies. Sounds like either one is fine.

The former owner of the house had a reel mower. I'm told the lawn looked like a putting green.

Fistful, I don't know how long it's going to take before I get my strength back. I have 7,000 square feet of lawn. That's not a lot, but on a hot Alabama day it's difficult. Right now I use a crappy Craftsman mower from the 1990's that has a loose handle. It's like trying to drive a car using the steering shaft u-joint.
what does it cost to have your lawn mowed where you live? A decent used rider that doesn't need repairs/maintenance done right away to be over $500 - $1000
« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 11:59:59 AM by charby »
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2016, 10:09:47 PM »
Right now I'm paying a lawn service $45 each time they mow the front and back. I'm only having them mow every other week.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2016, 11:10:47 PM »
Keep the deck level, blades sharp, and don't haul ass in top gear and a rider will cut great. The only real downside is there is more trimming.

That's why they make glyphosate.  If I can't mow it from the rider I sprayed it.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2016, 11:28:15 PM »
Right now I'm paying a lawn service $45 each time they mow the front and back. I'm only having them mow every other week.

Sounds like a better plan than buying a rider.....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2016, 10:36:14 AM »

No neighborhood kids that need some spending money that you could pay to do it for you.  Much cheaper then a a lawn service...

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2016, 11:53:05 AM »
Kids in my area don't do anything for money. It's just given to them.

The kid next door is now 18, and was a football player. I never once saw him mow the lawn. His dad mowed it in the sweltering heat. The kid did get an almost-new pickup for his 16th birthday, though.

Seeker_two, the lawn service is temporary. I try to mow the lawn twice a week to keep it looking really good. No telling when I'll be able to do that, but I will.