Author Topic: Water Hoses Get Hot in the Sun  (Read 1543 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Water Hoses Get Hot in the Sun
« on: June 15, 2016, 04:02:38 PM »
So there are really people who don't know that a water hose sitting in the sun will have hot water in it? The woman in the story scalded her baby when she sprayed him with water from the hose. How does someone who lives in Arizona not know this?

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2016/06/09/arizona-baby-left-with-second-degree-burns-after-being-sprayed-by-hose.html?intcmp=ob_article_footer_text&intcmp=obnetwork
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
Re: Water Hoses Get Hot in the Sun
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2016, 04:10:55 PM »
“I thought he was crying because he was mad… he hates when he gets sprayed in the face,” Woodger said, according to KTLA. “I didn’t think that it was burning him.” 

Yeah, that one is definitely candidate for mom of the year award.  ;/
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2016, 04:50:28 PM »
SUE THE HOSE MAKER AND THE WATER AUTHORITY!

FOR BECAUSE THEY GOT MONEY!
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2016, 05:04:32 PM »

Better Call Saul.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2016, 05:23:29 PM »

Well we saw how crappy the gas cans turned out, I could only image what a safety hose would be.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2016, 05:40:08 PM »
I stupidly connected a new outdoor hose connection to the hot water line of the house.  Just got them mixed up as I was working overhead in the basement underneath the bathroom.

What a surprise!

Hot water will also burst inexpensive plastic hoses.  What fun it was trying to shut off the hosecock amid steam and hot water spraying around.

stupid, stupid, stupid terry

Stuff like that keeps me humble.  And I need humble.

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2016, 05:43:24 PM »
Well we saw how crappy the gas cans turned out, I could only image what a safety hose would be.

All hoses would require a safety nozzle. The safety nozzle would weigh 27lbs because it would have to have both heating and cooling elements built in to ensure that water always exits the nozzle at 73 degrees. It would run on electricity.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2016, 05:59:38 PM »
 :facepalm:    Every time I pick up a hose that's been out in the sun, I squirt out the water that was actually in the hose until cold water comes out.
And I don't even have a baby. :angel:
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

zahc

• friend
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2016, 06:10:26 PM »
Mistakes happen. Do we have to be so superior and smug about other's painful mistakes and pretend we never make dumb mistakes?
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2016, 06:12:34 PM »
Mistakes happen. Do we have to be so superior and smug about other's painful mistakes and pretend we never make dumb mistakes?

This is the internet. It's pretty much required.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2016, 06:29:04 PM »
:facepalm:    Every time I pick up a hose that's been out in the sun, I squirt out the water that was actually in the hose until cold water comes out.
And I don't even have a baby. :angel:
I thought if you really did it right, you empty out the hose, roll it up and put it away after use.  I know everyone does that.   =D
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2016, 09:22:02 PM »

Pretty much, yeah.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2016, 09:43:13 PM »
Everyone knows the water can be hot because just about everyone has felt it in one way or the other.   =)  Just like the hot pan on the stove.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2016, 10:21:00 PM »

I spend a lot of time spraying animals with water, not to mention I've always lived in places where water temps take a bit to get where they need to be. I honestly wouldn't think not to check the temp of the water before spraying it at someone.

Plus, the article indicates that she sprayed the child, not just let the water flow onto the child. Who sprays a baby that young? I mean, I can see hitting Emily but good these days (and it's all fair since she's been going after us with hoses since she figured out how to drag one around) but not when she was 9 months old.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

grampster

• friend
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2016, 10:21:09 PM »
Well, at least she didn't let her 2 year old go wading in a pond full of alligators.  No one would be that stupid.  Wait.....
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2016, 08:49:19 AM »
Well, at least she didn't let her 2 year old go wading in a pond full of alligators.  No one would be that stupid.  Wait.....

In defense of the family in that tragedy, they are from Nebraska and were at Disney World. I'm sure they did not think alligators would be at a Disney World resort, if they considered the danger of alligators at all, seeing as they were from Nebraska.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2016, 09:31:30 AM »
we have truly reached the stage in America, where there no thought of personal responsibility.  Common sense has been bred out of us.  The woman should have been arrested for child endangerment.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2016, 09:45:44 AM »
In defense of the family in that tragedy, they are from Nebraska and were at Disney World. I'm sure they did not think alligators would be at a Disney World resort, if they considered the danger of alligators at all, seeing as they were from Nebraska.

And, there were apparently no "danger, alligator" signs on the pond where the child was taken, only generic No Swimming signs. I suspect there's going to be a significant lawsuit over that.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2016, 10:34:57 AM »
And, there were apparently no "danger, alligator" signs on the pond where the child was taken, only generic No Swimming signs. I suspect there's going to be a significant lawsuit over that.

I really hate the idea of a lawsuit over lack of signs.  It is reality often enough, but I don't like it.

One thing I found confusing about those stories if they said the father was trying to pry the alligator's mouth open, but not other details.  Was there a tug-a-war in shallow water?  Did the father catch him underwater but couldn't hold on and had to come up for air?  I am curious. 

I was also wondering why Disney wasn't trapping and getting rid of alligators above a certain size, but I don't know how wild this spot was.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2016, 11:13:55 AM »
Parents with young children in tow oblivious to hot hoses, ponds with alligators, gorilla enclosures . . . we're well on our way to the world of Idiocracy
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2016, 01:48:43 PM »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2016, 04:27:01 PM »
The picture reminds me of stories about people putting up signs warning about painting in progress, not doing any painting, but still getting complaints about paint on vehicles, etc.