Author Topic: Windows 7 problem  (Read 4374 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Windows 7 problem
« on: June 29, 2016, 06:39:24 PM »
As a result of my recent hospitalization, I'm back on the street with a severe limitation on how much weight I'm allowed to lift. My old notebook computer, with the cables and stuff I need to use it at work, is over the weight limit so I want to carry my Acer Aspire One netbook. The Acer runs on Windows 7 Starter Edition.

I broke it out this afternoon and fired it up with the idea that I'd download the most recent Windows updates while I have it here at home, rather than use up mobile data when I'm connected through my Verizon JetPack at work. Problem -- Windows Update tells me I have 37 critical updates waiting, but when I tell it to download and install them ... it just sits there. It says it's downloading the updates, but two hours later it had downloaded zero bytes and zero percent. Tried it again, with just a couple of small updates checked -- same result.

What might be going on? How can I force this thing to update itself?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Windows 7 problem
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2016, 06:55:37 PM »
A couple of things. Because you haven't downloaded updates in a long time, you probably don't have the current uploader version installed (which is installed by auto-update). First thing to try is start the updates before you go to bed, makes sure your laptop is set NOT to go on standby or to sleep, then come back the next morning and see if updates are ready to install. This has taken up to 24 hours for me when I've wiped a computer and installed from a 4 year old Win7 CD.

If that doesn't work, you will need to try and manually install the current uploader via the MS update tool. I had to do that with a Lenovo refurb I recently purchased that had a very old Win7 install on it. I let the thing work for 48 hours with no luck on updates, but then followed the directions for a forced update of the installer, and a couple of hours later it showed I had three updates pending. Once those installed,  I rebooted and ran update again, letting it sit for several hours. When I checked again, I had around 80 updates pending. once they installed, I was up to date.

Update tool and instructions:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=20858
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2016, 07:15:39 PM »
As a result of my recent hospitalization, I'm back on the street with a severe limitation on how much weight I'm allowed to lift. My old notebook computer, with the cables and stuff I need to use it at work, is over the weight limit so I want to carry my Acer Aspire One netbook. The Acer runs on Windows 7 Starter Edition.

I broke it out this afternoon and fired it up with the idea that I'd download the most recent Windows updates while I have it here at home, rather than use up mobile data when I'm connected through my Verizon JetPack at work. Problem -- Windows Update tells me I have 37 critical updates waiting, but when I tell it to download and install them ... it just sits there. It says it's downloading the updates, but two hours later it had downloaded zero bytes and zero percent. Tried it again, with just a couple of small updates checked -- same result.

What might be going on? How can I force this thing to update itself?

Euuu.   IMHO, the netbook is going to be more frustrating than useful.   The Intel Atom processor is limited to 2GB, and anymore, you really don't want to run Win7 on that.  Not to mention that Win 7 Starter has its own annoying limitations.  The best thing for a netbook at this point would be (IMHO again), install a solid state drive in there, and install a Linux.

This is for work?  See if they can get you an ultrabook.  Or a wheeled backpack like I was using in the weeks I was recovering from surgery the last couple summers.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2016, 08:04:27 PM »
I am not provided a notebook by/for my work. I'm currently working out of a construction trailer that's nominally connected to the state's network but, because it's a copper connection with low bandwidth and shared by multiple people, some tasks just can't be done -- like printing documents of more than a few pages. My work-around has been to bring in my personal notebook and connect directly to an older LaserJet I found in a closet. I transfer the files by thumb drive and print locally, avoiding the network.

So, no ... they're not going to provide me with a newer computer.

The netbook does okay, and for what I need it to do I can live with the limitations imposed by Win7 Starter edition. But I'm certainly not going to throw more money at it for a situation that should be resolved within six to eight weeks. Once I have surgery and the drain is removed, I won't have a weight lifting restriction.

I'll try Ben's suggestion to manually force an update.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2016, 08:06:56 PM »
Update tool and instructions:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=20858

Ben, the link says it's for Windows 7 64-bit. The Starter Edition is 32-bit. Do you know if there's a version for 32-bit?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2016, 08:24:57 PM »
Ben, the link says it's for Windows 7 64-bit. The Starter Edition is 32-bit. Do you know if there's a version for 32-bit?

I'm sure there is. I had just looked up my browsing history for the link I used and posted that, and I'm 64bit. You should be able to search for "windows 7 update tool 32bit" and get a link direct to Microsoft.

Caveat is that I know nothing about Windows Starter, so have no idea if it will run the 32 bit tool or not.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2016, 09:26:45 PM »

This one right here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=3132, comes up saying it's for x86 (which is to say, 32bit).

The update readiness tool tries to fix common problems keeping win 7 update from running.  It's one of the things I try if updates don't seem to want to run.

What's your weight limitation?

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2016, 09:46:15 PM »
This one right here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=3132, comes up saying it's for x86 (which is to say, 32bit).

The update readiness tool tries to fix common problems keeping win 7 update from running.  It's one of the things I try if updates don't seem to want to run.

What's your weight limitation?

Not allowed to lift more than 10 pounds while the drain tube is in place. If all goes according to plan, that should be until the first week or August (or sooner, if I can talk the surgeons into operating sooner).

The notebook bag has to carry the notebook, power brick, retractable mouse (I can't use a touch pad), JetPack portable WiFi receiver, and a couple of USB cables including the printer cable. With the bag itself, the whole enchilada weighs in at around 15 pounds (not that my scale is accurate at such low weights).

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2016, 09:55:51 PM »
So would a wheeled backpack be workable?

Phantom Warrior

• friend
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2016, 09:56:25 PM »
Ditto the first paragraph of Ben's first post.  I've done a lot of Windows updates, many on Windows 7, in the last year and a half.  I've never had a computer that was actively "Checking for Updates" fail if I left it long enough.  Sometimes it takes hours or overnight or a whole day.  But as long as it doesn't error out with an error message usually just waiting will get you there.  Eventually.  As stated, I would plug it in, make sure it won't go to sleep, and leave it until you see something.

I can't say this 100% true.  But I've learned waiting is usually the best plan for Windows updates if you aren't getting an error message.

P.S.  I have a laptop at work "Checking for Updates" right now, actually.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2016, 10:04:12 PM »
Ditto the first paragraph of Ben's first post.  I've done a lot of Windows updates, many on Windows 7, in the last year and a half.  I've never had a computer that was actively "Checking for Updates" fail if I left it long enough.  Sometimes it takes hours or overnight or a whole day.  But as long as it doesn't error out with an error message usually just waiting will get you there.  Eventually.  As stated, I would plug it in, make sure it won't go to sleep, and leave it until you see something.

I can't say this 100% true.  But I've learned waiting is usually the best plan for Windows updates if you aren't getting an error message.

P.S.  I have a laptop at work "Checking for Updates" right now, actually.

The "wait patiently" thing worked for me every time until I got that Lenovo. I actually tried a couple of other fixes to no avail before I used the tool. That was all that worked for me. However, I read many, many posts on this subject, and while one fix will work under one set of circumstances, it won't work on the other. There are a bajillion complaints to MS on this.

I had to start doing the wait thing probably four or so years ago when I would wipe and update instrumentation laptops at work. One day they just started taking longer longer to update after an OS reinstall. I don't run into it much anymore since I'm not working, but from poking around when I was figuring the Lenovo out, it appears it has only gotten worse over time. Lots of different explanations and conspiracy theories, but there doesn't seem to be one "right" answer as to why.

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2016, 10:42:18 PM »
Lots of different explanations and conspiracy theories, but there doesn't seem to be one "right" answer as to why.

I suspect a big part of it is having to update itself through 6 or 7 years worth of updates.  Scanning over itself, figuring out what it needs....

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2016, 11:04:42 PM »
In my case, though, the scan is done. It tells me there are 36 critical updates (and 7 optional updates, all of which are for Office 2007 -- which I don't use). But when I tell it to download them -- nothing seems to be happening.

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2016, 07:41:12 AM »
RUN the update readiness tool, then try again.

and maybe try wsusoffline.

----edit to add---

Re Office, you might try a "repair" on the Office installation.  Control Panel, Programs & Features, highlight it in the list.  Options are uninstall or change, click change.  Pick the option to repair in the box that pops up.  Then try installing the latest office service pack for that version (I think it's SP3).
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 10:15:30 AM by lee n. field »

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2016, 04:52:24 PM »

Started running the update tool at 8:00 this morning. It's now 5:00 p.m. and still scanning ...

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2016, 05:17:07 PM »
Started running the update tool at 8:00 this morning. It's now 5:00 p.m. and still scanning ...

I can't remember for sure, but I think I removed the old updater, restarted, and then installed the update tool. I remember for sure that I read different people had to do it a few different ways. either stopping the old one in services, or else completely removing it, were a couple of the ways.

Anyway, depending on your time constraints, if you can let it run overnight before you try anything else, that might be good.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2016, 05:34:48 PM »
Anyway, depending on your time constraints, if you can let it run overnight before you try anything else, that might be good.

I'm just allowing it to run. Makes me nervous -- I don't like to let portable computers run for long periods, but I guess I don't have any option. At least the Atom isn't a furnace like the Celeron.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2016, 05:40:16 PM »
I'm just allowing it to run. Makes me nervous -- I don't like to let portable computers run for long periods, but I guess I don't have any option. At least the Atom isn't a furnace like the Celeron.

If the fan is on the underside, you can always prop the edges up on a couple of books to get some circulation under there. I wouldn't worry too much though. I've run laptops for weeks at a time without going to standby.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2016, 10:37:47 AM »
Wow!

It took 25 hours and two restarts, but 88 "critical" updates have now been installed. And the computer doesn't seem to have burned itself up.

Thanks.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2016, 10:53:32 AM »
See, patience really is a virtue.  =D

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2016, 11:36:41 AM »
See, patience really is a virtue.  =D

Yes, the age-old prayer:

"God, please grant me patience -- RIGHT NOW!"

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2016, 04:49:51 PM »
Hey, it's even more arduous to try to get Vista up to date, from zero.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2016, 06:13:35 PM »
Hey, it's even more arduous to try to get Vista up to date, from zero.

We had one notebook on Vista, my late wife's. Shortly before she died we retired that and got her a newer notebook with Win7. Awhile after she died, I upgraded the Vista machine to Win7 and passed it along to a high school classmate whose [very] old computer had died.