Author Topic: Bee ranching.  (Read 2818 times)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Bee ranching.
« on: July 20, 2016, 02:06:33 PM »
Got a call from my sister in law last night, she was pretty freaked out about a giant swarm of bees that had settled in the bushes right off her patio.
I told her I'd see if I could catch them in the morning.

I got home from work and loaded up the gear and was at here place just before 8:00am.

Pretty good size swarm of bees.

Being that I really hate heights it was really good that they were less than 4' off the ground.

Shook and brushed the majority of them in the hive and decided that since they were getting a bit pissy and I was starting to melt down inside my bee suit I'd let them sort things out for a bit while I went inside and cooled off. There was still a pretty good wad of bees hanging on the bushes.

After 20 minutes or so I went back out to see if I could brush more of them into the hive. While I was suiting up again it was like a bee bomb went off. Suddenly the air was filled with thousands of bees. I watched in amazement as they circled around for a bit then settled around the entrance the hive and began to pour them selves inside just as fast as they could funnel themselves in through the entrance, it was kind of like watching a slow motion vacuum cleaner sucking up bees. It was one of the neatest things I'd ever witnessed.
After about 15 minutes all was calm again and there were only a few bees circling around and none left in the bush.

The fork near the top of the pic is where the swarm had been, you can see where they had laid down wax on the branch.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: Bee ranching.
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2016, 02:14:57 PM »
If only you'd have got video, that would be something to watch.

I wish my wife weren't allergic to bees. I'd love to add a hive to my backyard.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2016, 02:17:31 PM »
I wish I'd taken some video but I'd left phone and camera in the house. That, and I was pretty well geeked out on watching the spectacle of the bees going into the hive.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2016, 02:24:32 PM »
I wish I'd taken some video but I'd left phone and camera in the house. That, and I was pretty well geeked out on watching the spectacle of the bees going into the hive.

I can understand that, I'd be pretty excited, too. 

(Yes, I relied just to link to the Incredibles.)

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2016, 02:47:47 PM »
So that's a pretty good sign that the swarm has a queen and you got her in the hive?
"It's good, though..."

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2016, 03:03:29 PM »
Bee ranching, eh?
Way to go on the roundup. but I want to see how you put your brand on em.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2016, 03:41:50 PM »
I've caught swarms before, but never seen them go in the hive like that. Probably because I was less patient. I wonder if you got the queen in the hive with the initial attempt and they figured it out.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2016, 09:32:33 PM »
Time will tell if they actually take to the hive. Haven't heard from sister in law so a good indicator that they haven't gone back to patio.

Samuel Adams

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2016, 07:47:17 AM »
How did you get the bees in the hive?  Just open the lid and push them in?
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2016, 08:01:12 AM »
The accepted and traditional method is to hold the container, in this case the actual hive under the swarm and shake the mass of bees down into the hive as well as brushing either using your hand and/or a bee brush. It is a bit unnerving to be in and amongst 10s of thousand of loudly buzzing bees that you just shook the hell out of.
The plan is to get the majority of the swarm as well as the expected queen into the hive and then the rest will hopefully follow the queen when here pheromones are detectd inside the hive and the worker bees with her start fanning there "come on home" pheromones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7Dl1CtSihc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dphhdA5e1X4

Samuel Adams

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2016, 08:27:44 AM »
The accepted and traditional method is to hold the container, in this case the actual hive under the swarm and shake the mass of bees down into the hive as well as brushing either using your hand and/or a bee brush. It is a bit unnerving to be in and amongst 10s of thousand of loudly buzzing bees that you just shook the hell out of.
The plan is to get the majority of the swarm as well as the expected queen into the hive and then the rest will hopefully follow the queen when here pheromones are detectd inside the hive and the worker bees with her start fanning there "come on home" pheromones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7Dl1CtSihc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dphhdA5e1X4

Swarm catching guy is nuts. Shorts and a T-shirt as his only protection?

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2016, 02:07:35 PM »
He was wearing a veil but I wouldn't call him nuts, *expletive deleted*ing insane maybe but not nuts.
Though when honey bees are in swarm mode they are very unlikely to sting unless you get ahold of one or they manage to crawl up you pants leg or such.
[knock wood] I've been messing with bees for 3 months now, have been in my hives for full inspections multiple times, have helped a friend go trough two of his and have caught 2 swarms and I haven't been stung yet...yet.

Samuel Adams

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re:
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2016, 07:10:28 PM »
When they are in swarm mode when one stings does that pheromone thing happen where they go crazy?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2016, 02:42:37 AM »
That hasn't been my experience. While I haven't been stung I've had several bees sting my gloves and did not see any sign of attacking the site of the alarm pheromones released with the sting.

Samuel Adams

• friends
Re:
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2016, 05:15:24 AM »
Cool got some empty hives I am fixing. Gotta bear proof a spot for em

It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2016, 06:32:23 AM »
Beesource.com is a pretty good forum for beekeeping. Several  discussions on bear proofing.

Samuel Adams

• friends
Re:
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2016, 09:01:17 AM »
Thanks I was thinking electric fence wire

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2016, 05:40:00 PM »
I just finished dealing with a drama about multiple wasps nests on my deck.  (there's a thread about it)

A few minutes ago, Wife said "do these look like dirt daubers to you?"  Of course I had no idea what she's talking about.  I went and looked, and there were flying insects of the Hymenoptera kind flying out from where the siding meets the front steps.  I watched them for half a minute, and got the feeling they were watching me because there were more of them buzzing around now.  I think they are honeybees.

I never saw a swarm.  Whatever they are, they are behind the siding.  Probably a little edgy because roofers were here today.  I am quite capable of killing them, but don't want too if they are bees.  I called the exterminator and got the name of a beekeeper.
"It's good, though..."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2016, 09:34:55 PM »
If they are honey bees that have established a hive in the side of your house the first choice is to get a beekeeper to remove them.  Be prepared for some repair work.

Samuel Adams

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2016, 10:52:07 AM »
I called the beekeeper.  He wants me to take pictures and send to him.  I spent about 20 minutes trying to get a pic; never can get one in frame and even close to in-focus when the shutter trips.  I'm tempted to just blast them with Sevin dust, honeybees or not.

ETA: I got a pretty good look at one this morning.  They kind of look like honeybees, but they are hairless.  Also, none of them are carrying pollen.  I decree them to be yellowjackets.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 12:29:14 PM by zxcvbob »
"It's good, though..."

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2016, 12:58:23 PM »
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2016, 01:20:51 PM »

Yeah, I know.  The color is a closer match to the bee, but they are hairless, no pollen, and are more aggressive than bees.  They haven't stung anyone yet, but they like to "menace" anyone who gets too close.
"It's good, though..."

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2016, 09:50:04 PM »
aholes are dead. 

I took a long scrap of 3/4" PCV conduit and slipped an elbow fitting on the end.  Scooped up some insecticide dust in the elbow, tapped it until enough went up the pipe to have an air channel across the top.  I charged up a portable air compressor, and (wearing jeans with boot bands around the ankles and a heavy long sleeve shirt) put the ell thru the bushes right under where I could see them going in and out, and blasted the pipe with compressed air. It made an impressive cloud of dust.  Wasps everywhere; I ran away like a little girl.  A few hours later, no sign of activity.
"It's good, though..."