Author Topic: William F. Buckley on Trump  (Read 1073 times)

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
William F. Buckley on Trump
« on: July 26, 2016, 03:30:47 PM »

From 16 years ago:

http://www.redstate.com/jaycaruso/2016/07/24/16-years-ago-william-f.-buckley-wrote-donald-trump-eerily-accurate/

Look for the narcissist. The most obvious target in today’s lineup is, of course, Donald Trump. When he looks at a glass, he is mesmerized by its reflection. If Donald Trump were shaped a little differently, he would compete for Miss America. But whatever the depths of self-enchantment, the demagogue has to say something. So what does Trump say? That he is a successful businessman and that that is what America needs in the Oval Office. There is some plausibility in this, though not much. The greatest deeds of American Presidents — midwifing the new republic; freeing the slaves; harnessing the energies and vision needed to win the Cold War — had little to do with a bottom line.

All true.  Then again, pretty much true for Mrs. Clinton as well (except the successful businessman part).

""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re: William F. Buckley on Trump
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2016, 04:23:52 PM »
Also true for WFB himself...if you saturate it in amphetamine salts, gin, and vermouth.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2016, 06:08:43 PM »
I think you could substitute a good number of today's politicians into that description as well.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2016, 06:16:19 PM »
I think you could substitute a good number of today's politicians into that description as well.

Indeed:

https://fellowshipoftheminds.com/2013/11/18/most-and-least-narcissistic-u-s-presidents/
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2016, 05:52:54 PM »
couple of thoughts
The GOP did an abysmal job with their primary selection process,
Most folks seeking the Presidency these days are narcissistic,
no matter Trumps faults, he is running against hillary,
The bottom line is that.  Trump with his faults, or hillary with hers.

No other way to look at this issue.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2016, 07:42:12 PM »
I don't know that the selection is so bad.  Some of them were certainly bad, but if you chose a group from outside politics, you would also have that.  I think part of it is the whole exercise puts them under a microscope and everyone judges every little thing they do or don't do, say or don't say.  More importantly, they judge them on bits and pieces of sound bites taken from hours of talking on the campaign trail.  I think in these conditions, a good portion of voters would refuse to vote for George Washington much less one of today's politicians.  

I find it funny that I still hear people being critical of the unpolished statements and such from Trump when it is exactly the unpolished "speaking his mind" image of Trump that a lot of people like.  I also laugh that sometimes the very things they don't like seem to generate the exact reactions we want from liberal Democrats.

Most of us have all said we want candidates to say what they think, but few are really prepared for the fact that most people are not well spoken or versed when they speak their mind.  They will misspeak, say stupid stuff, or sound crazy at times especially with the media taking a few sound bites from 30 minute speeches.  Politicians' habit of saying nothing is a learned behavior due to the way our media and our voters react to the things they say.  
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge