Author Topic: Upstate New York  (Read 2451 times)

zahc

• friend
Upstate New York
« on: July 29, 2016, 05:32:58 PM »
How bad is it compared to say, California, Illinois, NJ etc? Does anyone successfully live there without being arrested for felonies constantly? I have determined that most of my guns are legal if I throw away my magazines, but what about other hobbies I might not think of (chemistry, rocketry, photography, high powered assault home machine shop...). And what about the people and winters?
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Re: Upstate New York
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2016, 07:14:46 PM »
Illinois gets a bad rap, mostly because of Chicago/Cook county.   But even that's not that bad any more.

Takes 1-3 months to get a FOID from the Illinois State Police (ISP) after that, there's a 72 hour wait on handguns ad 24 hour wait on Long guns.  Plenty of gun shows, but the NICS (actually ISP) check has to be done for all transactions.  Private sellers can call the ISP direct.   I've never done it, but I understand it can be fairly easily done.   I think there's instructions on the ISP website, along with said phone #. 

No magazine bans (again, unless in parts of Cook County)
No assault weapons bans (unless you are in Cook County)

Sadly, No Class III (suppressors, FA or DD's allowed state wide.)

State-wide shall issue CCW, takes 30-90 days  (it can be pricey, electronic fingerprints are $65, if you skip that add another 30 days to get your CPL. applying to Illinois State police is $153, class vary depending on how much you much you need.  Hunter Ed gets you a 4 hour credit, DD214 gets you an 8 hour credit off the 16 required hours of training.)  Most class used to begin at about $150-200, but since the demand has dropped, I often see classes offered at 50-75% off those prices).

More and more indoor ranges are opening, several in the suburbs of Chicago.  (Chicago Gun Range in Chicago, GAT Guns in Gurnee, Article II in Lombard, Rink's in Lockport is a dive, Midwest Guns in Lyons, Maxon in Des Plaines, American Firearms Training of Illinois in Northlake, Illinois Gun Works in Elmwood Park, and there's another opening soon, I disremember where.)   Several nice outdoor clubs in the outlying suburbs and throughout the state.  My club, ASC in Waterman, has everything from 50ft to 600 yard ranges and you can shoot anything up to 50 Cal.  We've even shot mortars and Civil War Artillery on the 600yd range.  If you use Google Earth, the club is the pyramids south of town.   Several folks from here have shot there at one of the meet-ups a few years back.  The Illinois State Rifle Association has nice ranges in Bonfield. (near Kankakee).  Get away from Chicagoland and lots of folks have ranges in their back yards/back 40. .  

However taxes and the .gov sucks so don't move here.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 01:20:27 PM by scout26 »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2016, 08:17:19 PM »
Quote from: zahc link=topic g1067371#msg1067371 date=1469827978
How bad is it compared to say, California, Illinois, NJ etc? Does anyone successfully live there without being arrested for felonies constantly? I have determined that most of my guns are legal if I throw away my magazines, but what about other hobbies I might not think of (chemistry, rocketry, photography, high powered assault home machine shop...). And what about the people and winters?

Don't throw them away, I'll give them a good home and even give them back if you move to a free state!   :P  I have no recent experience with NYS.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2016, 08:30:07 PM »
Specifically I am looking at a job in Syracuse; the facility is just south if town. Probably more snow than I have ever dealt with before, but if the job is good enough...

I didn't even think about CCW. Took that for granted. I also need to look up homeschooling and homebirthing laws.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2016, 08:45:01 PM »
My inlaws live in Rochester.   Wife grew up there.  Not too far from Syracuse.  Mother in law went to college there, and took us to fotball games several times. 

Snow?  A lot.  Lake effect snow comes down hard and fast, and ghey measure it in feet, not inches.  But, they are good at clearling roads, and most people are used to driving in snow.

Lots of photography options...lakes, mountains, rvers and streams, vineyards.

Gun laws are rough.  We have no plans to move there, so I've not done all of the research.  But the one time I stopped by a gun shop, it sounds difficult to get a permit to own, and darn near impossible to get a CCW.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2016, 08:52:51 PM »
I didn't even think about CCW. Took that for granted. I also need to look up homeschooling and homebirthing laws.

You can't take CCW for granted -- unless you meant that you didn't expect to be able to carry. Carry permits in NY state (excluding NYC, which is a universe unto itself) are issued on a may issue basis by county magistrates. You may get a permit (or not), and if you do it may be restricted to just transporting to or from a range.

Oh, and in NY state, if you don't have a carry permit you can't touch a firearm.

Seriously.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2016, 09:46:46 PM »
P.S. If you are seriously considering relocating to NY state, hop over to The Firing Line forum, register (if you're not already a member), and drop a PM to moderator Brian Pfleuger. He's from upstate NY, I think he can fill you in.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2016, 06:07:10 AM »
Theres a good chance the homeschooling laws suck.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2016, 10:24:32 AM »
Illinois gets a bad rap, mostly because of Chicago/Cook county.   But even that's not that bad any more.

+1 on everything Scout said about Illinois.   The dominant urban megapolis is in-state, has half the population, and thoroughly dominated by the Evil Party. 
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2016, 10:29:28 AM »
Paging CNYCacher to the white phone.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2016, 10:53:55 AM »
Upstate NY is really nice scenery wise.
Snow fall in measured in yards not inches, especially since your in the lake effect belt. Syracuse can get at least 10' of snow a year. Go to the north east and they can get 25+ feet.
I don't know the gun laws,but you can get a carry permit. But.... I had a sales rep from work that moved up there and he had trouble because they ask for references that you have to have known for x amount of time. So make friends quick if you want a carry permit.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2016, 11:31:48 AM »
Isn't New York one of the sates where you need a permit to even possess pistols?

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2016, 10:05:34 PM »
Isn't New York one of the sates where you need a permit to even possess touch pistols?

FIFY

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2016, 08:33:06 AM »
Hey Scout,  suppose one has no choice about moving to Illinois, and want's to bring their guns?  My Sister in law and her husband are moving there,  he just got stationed at Great Lakes.  Is he a potential felon until getting the FOID thing?  I think he has a couple of pistols and a shotgun.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2016, 09:43:50 AM »
Hey Scout,  suppose one has no choice about moving to Illinois, and want's to bring their guns?  My Sister in law and her husband are moving there,  he just got stationed at Great Lakes.  Is he a potential felon until getting the FOID thing?  I think he has a couple of pistols and a shotgun.

As far as I know, just bring them and get your FOID asap.  But check the Illinois State Police website first.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2016, 01:45:25 PM »
What Lee said.  One only needs a FOID for the following:

1.  Hauling them around (if stopped by the Po-po)
2.  Buying or selling.
3.  Buying ammo.

If he moves here, just keep them locked-up at home, until he gets his FOID (having a copy of his orders and the FOID application should keep him out of trouble, even if he want's to go somewhere and shoot, Military seem to get a lot of leniency with most police and shooting clubs, YMMV.  If he's on post, then whatever goofy rules the commander has imposed, will apply.

I know lots of guys that have gone deer hunting in the fall with their old, expired FOID and an copy of the FOID application showing they have re-applied and ISP is simply taking it's sweet-azzed time to send a new one.

IIRC, there might be some exemptions for Military-types in the FOID law.  Have him check their website and get familiar with Illinois Firearm laws.  

https://www.ispfsb.com/Public/Home.aspx
« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 02:16:47 PM by scout26 »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2016, 05:15:25 PM »
It looks like their homeschooling laws are pretty bad. So I might have to reevaluate. The company seems in dire need of talent, so there will be a certain pleasure in telling them "no, I won't take your promotion, relocation package, and $20k raise, and all the tea in China, because you chose a communist state. Hope you enjoy those tax breaks they gave you".

It's sad because it looks pretty there.
--Tallpine

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2016, 10:00:15 PM »
What Lee said.  One only needs a FOID for the following:

1.  Hauling them around (if stopped by the Po-po)
2.  Buying or selling.
3.  Buying ammo.

If he moves here, just keep them locked-up at home, until he gets his FOID (having a copy of his orders and the FOID application should keep him out of trouble, even if he want's to go somewhere and shoot, Military seem to get a lot of leniency with most police and shooting clubs, YMMV.  If he's on post, then whatever goofy rules the commander has imposed, will apply.

I know lots of guys that have gone deer hunting in the fall with their old, expired FOID and an copy of the FOID application showing they have re-applied and ISP is simply taking it's sweet-azzed time to send a new one.

IIRC, there might be some exemptions for Military-types in the FOID law.  Have him check their website and get familiar with Illinois Firearm laws.  

https://www.ispfsb.com/Public/Home.aspx

Thanks,  you and Lee.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.