Author Topic: "Personhood" for Land  (Read 1720 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
"Personhood" for Land
« on: August 05, 2016, 06:17:44 PM »
So apparently this isn't The Onion, has already been done in New Zealand, and has advocates in the US.

Assigning legal "personhood" to land so that environmentalists can represent it as their "client".

http://www.outsideonline.com/2102536/parks-are-people-too-legally-speaking?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=tweet
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
Re: "Personhood" for Land
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2016, 06:47:49 PM »
So apparently this isn't The Onion, has already been done in New Zealand, and has advocates in the US.

Assigning legal "personhood" to land so that environmentalists can represent it as their "client".

http://www.outsideonline.com/2102536/parks-are-people-too-legally-speaking?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=tweet

So if I marry Carlsbad Caverns National Park, does that mean they have to give me 24 hour access and not complain if I wander through the caves naked?

Taking "hot dog down a hallway" to new extremes...

JN01

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2016, 09:04:07 PM »
Parks are people but unborn babies are not.  Sounds about right.  [ar15]

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2016, 09:37:27 PM »
Does the park self identify as male or female?  Or transgender?  Or part of the LGTREWHGFT  community?
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2016, 09:46:18 PM »

Movement Rights also worked with Mendocino County, in northern California, to write an ordinance giving the county the right to be free from fracking.

“Even in the more accessible areas around Bakersfield, initial attempts to exploit the Monterey shale have not shown much,” Estabrook told the AVA. “  
He continued, “As far as I know, there are no known oil and gas deposits in Mendocino County, shale or conventional. Exploration and identification of deposits would take years (decades). If any deposits were found, they would have to be large-scale enough to justify the enormous costs of developing them, especially given the lack of oil and gas infrastructure here.”

http://theava.com/archives/29538

Sigh.  The citizens of Mendo County are worried about possible fracking in a place with no oil or gas and continue to ignore the reality of the numerous diesel (marijuana) grows in the county and the damage caused  by them.  :facepalm:  Talk about misplaced priorities!  Thanks Ben, you managed to make me both miss Mendocino County and remember why I wrote off the place and decided not to retire there.   :P

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2016, 10:09:42 PM »
So if a male gorilla marries a female parcel of land, what do they produce as offspring when they consummate the marriage?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Triphammer

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2016, 10:16:43 PM »
An Ape-iary?

grampster

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2016, 10:46:22 PM »
King Cong grass man?
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2016, 11:48:21 PM »

http://theava.com/archives/29538
Thanks Ben, you managed to make me both miss Mendocino County and remember why I wrote off the place and decided not to retire there.   :P

My pleasure!  =D
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2016, 11:48:49 PM »
The closest example I can think of is when inanimate objects are charged with a crime and confiscated under the obscene RICO statutes.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2016, 08:03:40 AM »
So if a male gorilla marries a female parcel of land, what do they produce as offspring when they consummate the marriage?

A silverback-forty?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2016, 04:15:53 PM »
Measured in apers?
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2016, 11:40:44 PM »
I guess it is like suing on behalf of the spotted owl.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge