Author Topic: Much sportzing! Olympic thread (for sportzing talk, not politics and drama)  (Read 5198 times)

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Good on her.  And to hell with many of the wapo commenters.

FTR, "Ginny" was my grandmother Virginia's preferred nickname.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
Good on her.  And to hell with many of the wapo commenters.

FTR, "Ginny" was my grandmother Virginia's preferred nickname.

I didn't even read the comments on that one. I figured I didn't want to.

But then I saw an article on FB that pointed out that the anti gun twitter hate has already started. So I checked Twitter (mind you, this is difficult for me, since I still don't really get how twitter all works) and, yep, the crazies are already being stupid.

I admire how provincial our supposedly sophisticated and multicultural our leftist our. The shooting sports are HUGELY popular in other countries and especially in a lot of countries that have stringent anti gun laws.
I mean, people actually pay good money to watch precision shooting sports. I used to shoot that stuff (not very well) and even I can say I'd be more entertained by watching paint dry. It's a great sport to participate in, but it's not exactly visually stimulating.  ???
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

mtnbkr

• friend
There's a good chance she did her practicing as a high school student at my IWL chapter.  We have an indoor airgun range as well as a 100yd outdoor range that is used by the local school teams for smallbore competition.

Chris

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
<drama>
How dare the Oilympics promote and promulgate things that are scary and go bang and can get people all hurted!  My G-d, GUHNS! with .177 boolits!  You realize that's WELL OVER an eighth of an inch?!!??

Disgusting.

Terry, 7.4grRN
</drama>
« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 10:45:47 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

zxcvbob

• friend
They also had archery.  Bows and arrows!  (clutches pearls)

Those were some mighty tricked-out compound bows they were using.  I wondered if anybody used an old fashion longbow.  Then I saw one guy practicing at least with a simple recurve bow.
"It's good, though..."

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
The Men's 10 M Air Rifle Gold went to Vietnam. First medal ever in that country. They mentioned in the opening ceremony that the government has a decent monetary award for the first person to bring home a medal. I bet that guy is happy.

I've been emulating the cats all day, so I have to check what's going on. I know that woman's trap started today.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
In Trap, Australians took Gold and Silver. Corey Cogdell got the Bronze. USA didn't do squat in Air Pistol. That went to China, Russia and Greece.

Hawkmoon

• friend
Ginny Thrasher is also competing in smallbore rifle. When is that competition?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MechAg94

• friend
She said in an interview that it was a few days from Sat I think.  I guess that should be Tuesday or Wednesday.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
She said in an interview that it was a few days from Sat I think.  I guess that should be Tuesday or Wednesday.

Woman's smallbore is Thursday.

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
The Men's 10 M Air Rifle Gold went to Vietnam. First medal ever in that country. They mentioned in the opening ceremony that the government has a decent monetary award for the first person to bring home a medal. I bet that guy is happy.

I've been emulating the cats all day, so I have to check what's going on. I know that woman's trap started today.

Yup, he's gonna get ahold of some big Dong.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 04:17:29 PM by Warren »
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

T.O.M.

• friend
How about this young lady?

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2016/08/09/king-settles-score-with-efimova-wins-gold-in-100-meter-breaststroke.html

After the prelims, she called out the Russian as a cheater (the Russian has twice tested positive for performance enhancing drugs).  She then went on to beat the Russian and win the Gold, and then took a parting shot at the Russian...

"It just proves you can compete clean and still come out on top with all the hard work you put in behind the scenes, behind the meet, at practice and weight sessions," the 19-year-old Indiana University student said giddily. "There is a way to become the best and do it the right way."
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
^^^^^

She has also mentioned that Americans that have tested positive in the past should not be competing.  

When she was asked if American sprinter Justin Gatlin should be on the team after two drug suspensions, the Indiana University student didn't back down.

"Do I think people who have been caught for doping offenses should be on the team? No, I don't," King said. "It should be set in stone. There should be no bouncing back and forth."

This will not make her the most popular girl at the dance, that's for sure.

In other news, Corey Cogdell won the Bronze in Women's Trap.

bob

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Yep, and get the pros out of the Olympics.  Yes, I am looking at you, Tennis and Basketball.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
Yep, and get the pros out of the Olympics.  Yes, I am looking at you, Tennis and Basketball.

And ban practicing while you're at it.  Gives an unfair advantage.

wmenorr67

• friend

Thing is IMHO they are all professionals to some extent or another.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Hawkmoon

• friend

And soccer football.

I agree completely. Pros should not be allowed to compete in sports they get paid to play.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
How about this young lady?

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2016/08/09/king-settles-score-with-efimova-wins-gold-in-100-meter-breaststroke.html

After the prelims, she called out the Russian as a cheater (the Russian has twice tested positive for performance enhancing drugs).  She then went on to beat the Russian and win the Gold, and then took a parting shot at the Russian...

"It just proves you can compete clean and still come out on top with all the hard work you put in behind the scenes, behind the meet, at practice and weight sessions," the 19-year-old Indiana University student said giddily. "There is a way to become the best and do it the right way."

I like her.

During the semi finals, she was watching and when the Russian won it, the woman waved her finger in the air #1 and they caught whats her face on camera and mocking the Russian. She did it again when she won her semi final.  :laugh:

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
Thing is IMHO they are all professionals to some extent or another.

Yup, especially when one considers the product endorsements.
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

T.O.M.

• friend
Well, to a degree, they are professional in that they do get something in exchange for their performance.  Uniforms, travel, room and board, training facilities, etc.  Beyond that, the level of "payment" varies wildly depending on the sport.  Ginny Thrasher probably won't be doing commercials or endorsements outside of the shooting/outdoor industry.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

T.O.M.

• friend
Wussyball.

Thread drift:  You know, I enjoyed playing and coaching soccer.  It can be a great game.  And, honestly, I enjoy the women's game at the higher level more than the men's game.  Way too often, the men seem more concerned about drawing a penalty than playing the game.  Two players run into each other, and I know one will fall down and grab his leg and howl like he just suffered an exposed compound fracture.  Too much of the diving/faking crap to get a free kick or penalty shot.  Get the hell up and get back in the game.  The way the men play now, I'll not argue with you for calling it wussyball.

Rant off.  Back to the Olympics.  Enjoyed watching Phelps win the butterfly race.  More fun watching him tear up during the medal ceremony.  Guy has stood there on the podium and worn that gold 19 times before that one, and it still means something special to him.  Moments like that bring me back to the Olympics every time.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
You godless Communist Bernie hugger you!
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
The first gold medal of the Olympics, as everyone now knows, went to Ginny Thrasher, who grew up in Northern Virginia.

Monday on the way home I  was stopped at a light and saw on a sign on the local high school "GINNY THRASHER, RIO GOLD! CONGRATULATIONS!"

I didn't realize that that is where she graduated.

Of course, no mention that she won a gold medal with a GUN!!!!!!!