Author Topic: Starter Problems ...  (Read 1919 times)

Chester32141

• friend
Starter Problems ...
« on: August 06, 2016, 09:12:52 PM »
About a month ago the starter on my '04  LeSabre made a grinding noise like I was trying to start the car while it was running ... happened to be on the way to the garage for something else ... my mechanic who I've used for 25 yrs called me and said that he heard the noise ( I hadn't mentioned it cause I thought I had possibly turned the  key on while it was running ) he said it would strand me if left unfixed so  I said fix it (new starter) I'm now about 1200 mi from home dealing w/ my 90 yr old mom in the hospital in an emergency situation .... every time I start it, it grinds ... I'm sure my garage will stand behind their work even if only to return my money ... but I need to know if anyone has any idea what causes this and how important is it to get it fixed immediately ... I'd like to know the cause before dealing w/ an unfamiliar mechanic ...

Thanks for any and all input ...  [popcorn]

Chester
"The best argument against democracy is a 5 minute conversation with the average voter...... "

Photos
CBs Hawg Sauce

zxcvbob

• friend
Re: Starter Problems ...
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2016, 09:40:17 PM »
GM starters used to need shims to get the right amount of clearance between the flywheel and the starter armature shaft.  I don't know if the newer FWD ones do or not.  Your mechanic should have checked the clearance if it's still adjustable.  I have no idea how urgent it is, sorry.
"It's good, though..."

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2016, 12:19:35 AM »
Could be a crap battery or more likely cable to the starter. I replaced a starter once and the problem stayed. Turned out it was the positive cable internally corroded, reduced current making it to the starter.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Chester32141

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2016, 12:22:37 AM »
Could be a crap battery or more likely cable to the starter. I replaced a starter once and the problem stayed. Turned out it was the positive cable internally corroded, reduced current making it to the starter.

But would that make it sound like I tried to start it when it was already running ?
"The best argument against democracy is a 5 minute conversation with the average voter...... "

Photos
CBs Hawg Sauce

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2016, 01:53:50 AM »

That's where I was gonna go.  Not enough juice for the solenoid to throw out the gear far enough. or to make good contact with the built-in starter switch. I also found once that giving the starter a couple of good sharp bangs with a big wrench around where you can get to it cured a sticky starter.

Regarding battery posts in reference to the above quote, several times just putting a screwdriver, preferably Phillips, in the joint between the post and the clamp and giving it a smack with a hammer has cured dirty cruddy battery connections.  The metal deformation tends to re-establish a good connection. Repeat 3-4 times around the circumference of the joint.

Temporary fix, but one stranded lady I did that for thought I worked at Auto Zone because I was wearing an Auto Zone hat they'd given me for being such a good customer.  And I had the tools in my car.

She offered to pay me $20, but I figured I'd rather store up my treasures in heaven since that heavenly bank's balance had been getting pretty low at the time.

Terry
« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 02:12:06 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2016, 02:12:28 AM »
Check the mounting bolts.  More than once I've been shopping for a solenoid and/or starter to fix intermittent "spin but won't catch" issues, decided to check for a part number, and realized I could move the whole assembly by hand.  Tighten up the bolts and it works fine again.

Edit to add; just re-read the OP, and noticed you had it fixed.  Maybe they either tightened one bolt and missed the other(s) or overtorqued it and a bolt snapped off.  The former is, of course, an easy fix.  The latter sucks, so let the mechanic deal with how to get to it to drill the bugger out.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 02:27:15 AM by KD5NRH »

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2016, 08:38:23 AM »
Check the mounting bolts.  More than once I've been shopping for a solenoid and/or starter to fix intermittent "spin but won't catch" issues, decided to check for a part number, and realized I could move the whole assembly by hand.  Tighten up the bolts and it works fine again.

Good point.  I plumb forgot about the other half of the circuit.  Duh.

Terry
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Chester32141

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2016, 09:51:12 PM »
Thanks for the ideas ... I'm not sure which if any would cause the starter to make the high pitched sound of gears grinding that now occurs w/ every start ... will definitely try the 'bigger hammer' technique ...

It seems like the switch that tells it to stop trying to start is slow to realize that it's started ...
is there a name for that switch ?

[popcorn]

Car just hit 71,000 mi and runs like a new car except for this problem ...  :old:

Photos
CBs Hawg Sauce

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2016, 09:53:15 PM »
The overrun clutch?
"It's good, though..."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2016, 10:44:49 PM »
Possible solenoid problems and like has been mentioned check all electrical connections from battery out including making sure the starter mounting bolts are tight.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2016, 01:26:11 AM »
Possible solenoid problems and like has been mentioned check all electrical connections from battery out including making sure the starter mounting bolts are tight.

Also solenoid position; some are press or bolted fit and can slip back, causing a failure to fully engage, just like loose starter mounting bolts.  Depending on the starter, this may or may not be fixable without just replacing the starter.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2016, 02:20:07 AM »
Was the solenoid changed? Was it a new or reman starter? I picked up a 05 Chevy to dive to the doc and it does this sometimes. It seems to be in the ignition switch. I have a new one sitting here just need to put it in to see if it fixes the sticking and the 10 minute wait I have sometimes for the security light to go out.

Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

brimic

• friends
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2016, 09:27:33 AM »
GM starters used to need shims to get the right amount of clearance between the flywheel and the starter armature shaft.  I don't know if the newer FWD ones do or not.  Your mechanic should have checked the clearance if it's still adjustable.  I have no idea how urgent it is, sorry.

I changed one on a 98 GP a few years ago, it was a simple drop in installation.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Chester32141

• friend
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2016, 10:14:29 AM »
I haven't been on in a while due to things getting very busy here and spending nearly 24/7 with my mom in hospice ... problem persisted up until 3 days ago when it started working properly ... have had no time to have it looked at but mom will be gone soon and I will have it looked at then ...

With the additional info of it being intermittent (2 weeks terrible / now OK) are there any ideas expressed in this thread that would suggest a good place to start or additional ideas I should consider ... thanks guys ...
 =|
Chester

Photos
CBs Hawg Sauce

Chester32141

• friend
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2016, 07:15:31 PM »
Thought y'all might like to know how this turned out ... Starter worked intermittently until I got back to Florida and then acted up my first day back so I took it to the shop where I had had it fixed initially.  Said that of the approx. 150-200 starters they put in very year 1 or 2 would be bad ... the next starter stranded me twice in the 4 days it was in my car ... managed to get it back to the shop and they installed a genuine AC Delco starter and it's been fine since ... turns out the other starters were Chinese aftermarket junk .... thanks for the input.
 :facepalm:

Photos
CBs Hawg Sauce

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2016, 11:10:05 PM »
Glad to hear it.  Transportation problems can really wear on ya.
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2016, 08:15:29 AM »
Glad that you finally figured it out, and very sorry about your Mom.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.