Author Topic: Cool Navy videos  (Read 1068 times)

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Cool Navy videos
« on: August 12, 2016, 07:40:50 AM »
Get your America on!

Three cool life-in-the-Navy videos.  #3 has the flying stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yAUNvEVKII&index=1&list=PLp30cIF2khVlVV4NQIZyYcGpMLC3vaCQ3
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

freakazoid

• friend
Re: Cool Navy videos
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2016, 07:58:52 AM »
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2016, 08:08:42 AM »
What were you using for a camera? 

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2016, 08:29:23 AM »
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2016, 08:30:34 AM »
Get your America on!

Three cool life-in-the-Navy videos.  #3 has the flying stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yAUNvEVKII&index=1&list=PLp30cIF2khVlVV4NQIZyYcGpMLC3vaCQ3

These managed to make me actually miss being on the ship on deployment.

What were you using for a camera? 

SH-60's FLIR camera.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2016, 08:48:42 AM »

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2016, 10:10:41 AM »

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2016, 07:15:37 PM »
Hard to believe those little tiny props could make them fly so fast.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2016, 07:42:35 PM »
Hard to believe those little tiny props could make them fly so fast.

High pitch = more power = fast planes.  They don't last long because they have small batteries.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2016, 04:31:36 AM »
High pitch = more power = fast planes.  They don't last long because they have small batteries.

Reminds me of what I read about the Schneider Trophy in the Twenties.  The non-variable pitch propellors were set up for such high speeds (high pitch) that they could barely pull the planes through the water when starting to move.

They'd flail the air unmercifully at first, throwing up enormous amounts of spray, drenching everyone around them.  I saw one pic of the Supermarine race entry (predecessor of the Spitfire) where the countertorque from the powerful engine almost completely buried one of the floats in the water as it muddled its way along at startup.

Several stills in this one reveal the aggressive prop pitch.

https://youtu.be/-qxwsLu1tss

Shore handlers drenched:

https://youtu.be/bjwqTHTLAEA

Say, I assume in the OP's Navy videos that those little props were turning generators to charge something, no?  I mean they had cartooney electrical lightning bolts to indicate something like that.  But what were they charging?  And why? Or were they for something else?

Glorious photography, but I think I'd have enjoyed them more with a modicum of narration or maybe subtitles.  I know you guys who served knew all about it, and you were the intended audience, but I was puzzled by a lot of the stuff.

Like those little props.  Were they some kind of stealth technology to scatter incoming radar...?  Or to return false reflections...?

Terry

REF:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schneider_Trophy
« Last Edit: August 13, 2016, 05:20:18 AM by 230RN »

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2016, 05:48:06 AM »
AFAIK those props are turn small generators to power the electronics in that pod.  Those pods are quick attach so they might not be able to use the plane's electrics.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2016, 09:50:33 AM »
Reminds me of what I read about the Schneider Trophy in the Twenties.  The non-variable pitch propellors were set up for such high speeds (high pitch) that they could barely pull the planes through the water when starting to move.

They'd flail the air unmercifully at first, throwing up enormous amounts of spray, drenching everyone around them.  I saw one pic of the Supermarine race entry (predecessor of the Spitfire) where the countertorque from the powerful engine almost completely buried one of the floats in the water as it muddled its way along at startup.

Several stills in this one reveal the aggressive prop pitch.

https://youtu.be/-qxwsLu1tss

Shore handlers drenched:

https://youtu.be/bjwqTHTLAEA

Say, I assume in the OP's Navy videos that those little props were turning generators to charge something, no?  I mean they had cartooney electrical lightning bolts to indicate something like that.  But what were they charging?  And why? Or were they for something else?

Glorious photography, but I think I'd have enjoyed them more with a modicum of narration or maybe subtitles.  I know you guys who served knew all about it, and you were the intended audience, but I was puzzled by a lot of the stuff.

Like those little props.  Were they some kind of stealth technology to scatter incoming radar...?  Or to return false reflections...?

Terry

REF:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schneider_Trophy

Those Schneider Cup planes were really cool looking.
I use this picture for one of my computer background pictures It's a Supermarine S.5. I believe this is also the same plane, or one of them as three were built, that is in that YouTube video.

Has a really cool Napier Lion engine that is a W12. The next version, the S.6, is in a museum somewhere in England.

Here's Doolittle in his Curtiss Racer in '25 which he won,

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2016, 11:00:42 AM »
^ Now that one with Doolittle really shows the pitch on that prop.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2016, 11:34:51 AM »
AFAIK those props are turn small generators to power the electronics in that pod.  Those pods are quick attach so they might not be able to use the plane's electrics.

That is correct. Those are pods for denying your target the ability to watch Abdul's got talent among other useful thing. The ones on EA6B pods back in the early 70's were 20KVA Ram Air Turbine (RAT) generators to power the magical stuff inside the pods. It takes a lot of power if you plan on shutting down very large swaths of a country. ;)

bob