Author Topic: Do you like to drink cocktails?  (Read 3466 times)

freakazoid

• friend
Do you like to drink cocktails?
« on: August 17, 2016, 06:33:53 AM »
I figure there is a bunch of people here who like to... mix it up, :lol: There is a youtube channel called Common Man Coctails where they show how to make a bunch of different drinks and talk about it and they also talk about other things about it like a styles of rumshow to stock your bar with spirits, how to make clear ice, etc. Lots of really good recipes, and lately a lot of really good other info. Love this channel. I use to watch it a lot then I got busy with things and it fell by the wayside but now I've been watching it again. These guys are fun to watch, in his older videos he use to do it with this other guy but he moved.
Also, any other good channels out there?
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Re: Do you like to drink cocktails?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2016, 07:25:15 AM »
I've been on a whiskey cocktail kick lately.  Currently, I'm playing with variations of the whiskey sour, which is a great summer time drink.  Very refreshing.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2016, 07:30:25 AM »
Jamis loves anything with one of those little umbrellas in it.

that way he doesn't have to buy a new beach umbrella.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2016, 07:31:28 AM »

He gets his swords from the same place right.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2016, 07:38:51 AM »

Almost spit up my drink, not a cocktail lol.
 :rofl:
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2016, 07:42:46 AM »
I refuse to drink anything with an umbrella in it unless I needed a passport to get there.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2016, 07:48:22 AM »
I'm not much of a cocktail drinker, instead preferring my whiskies neat (to the chagrin of my Scottish colleague who thinks all whiskys need a touch of water).  I do love a good rye-based Manhattan or Gin & Tonic.

I make my Manhattans with orange and angostura bitters and use a 2.5:1, sometimes 3:1 ratio of Rye to vermouth.

Chris

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2016, 08:26:27 AM »
I refuse to drink anything with an umbrella in it unless I needed a passport to get there.

Haha - that's my criteria as well (excepting Hawaii).

I was on an Old Fashoned kick a while back, but mostly do my whiskey neat nowadays. Once in a while I drop an ice cube in on a hot day. Or revert to an Old fashioned. I was trying Sazeracs for a while too, but could never make them as well as the guy at the hipster speakeasy, so ga e up.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2016, 08:44:49 AM »
I'm pretty exclusively a Gin & Tonic drinker.

Occasionally I'll have something like a Toasted Almond when I want something sweet, but 99 times out of 100 I'll order/make a G&T.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2016, 08:45:28 AM »
He gets his swords from the same place right.

Nice.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2016, 09:13:23 AM »
I've been on a rum kick all summer and having fun making a lot of Trader Vic's and Donn the Beachcomber originals. Everyone I've made are quite flammable.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2016, 10:16:37 AM »
does Rum and Coke count as a cocktail?    :)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2016, 10:27:25 AM »
I'm pretty exclusively a Gin & Tonic drinker.

Occasionally I'll have something like a Toasted Almond when I want something sweet, but 99 times out of 100 I'll order/make a G&T.

Not much of a cocktail drinker, but when I do, it is gin & tonic over ice, with a generous lime wedge. 
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Unisaw

• friend
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2016, 10:53:52 AM »
I enjoy an old school Whiskey Sour from time to time. :old:  I also like an Amaretto Sour, but my wife informs me that is a girly drink.
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2016, 10:54:25 AM »
Gin and Tonic couple times a week during summer. I have discovered the huge difference between plain ol anywhere just tonic and Fevertree Tonic.
Once in awhile I like a good Margarita on the rocks if I find myself in an establishment where somebody knows how to make one from scratch. Maybe I'm a snob but I can't stand any of the pre-mix garbage I've ever encountered.
Most times it just 1 glass of wine with dinner.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2016, 03:09:08 PM »
I like my spirits neat for sippin' most of the time.  I really enjoy Diplomatico Reserve rum for sippin', but I can't get it around here.  So Pyrat fills that niche till I get back down to Ft. Myers Beach to my favorite rum bar, Doc Ford's.

I've been hung up on Perfect Rob Roy's lately.  Up or on the rocks.   I use cheap blended scotch, splash of bitters, and a bit of sweet and dry vermouth.  If I'm making a cocktail I tend not to use expensive top end spirits.  I saw a guy order Jameson and coke one day.  I wanted to slap his face.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

230RN

• I saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be infringed.
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2016, 07:11:25 PM »
I used to drink Rob Roys.

Not a TV show, but a very well done and clever magazine I pick up at the liquor store every once in a while.

http://www.drunkard.com/

Terry
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2016, 07:39:23 PM »
I guess in those places you wouldn't want to drink the water anyway.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2016, 07:53:10 PM »
Oh, speaking of - I was on the whiskey portion of my vacation when passing through Park City, UT yesterday.  =D

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2016, 08:01:40 AM »
Oh, speaking of - I was on the whiskey portion of my vacation when passing through Park City, UT yesterday.  =D

I was in that place a couple years ago. Did a night or two out in Park City while attending a conference. Pretty good whiskey. I'll actually be back in Salt Lake in October, might have to take a trip up  there now that you reminded me about it. I've been surprised at the good beer, wine and liquor I've been finding in Utah considering. Just have to be careful to make sure and get something in a bottle or you might get stuck with that 32 stuff.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2016, 09:00:30 AM »
I was in that place a couple years ago. Did a night or two out in Park City while attending a conference. Pretty good whiskey. I'll actually be back in Salt Lake in October, might have to take a trip up  there now that you reminded me about it. I've been surprised at the good beer, wine and liquor I've been finding in Utah considering. Just have to be careful to make sure and get something in a bottle or you might get stuck with that 32 stuff.

The High West is currently my favorite non-scotch whiskey. I've had the double rye, rendezvous rye, and campfire. Campfire is my favorite  (rye, bourbon, scotch blend), followed by double rye. I'm a bit of an oddball in that I did not like the more expensive rendezvous rye.

Of the three bottles in the pic, The campfire has been hard to find locally, so I picked that up while I was there. The bourye has been impossible to find locally and I've always wanted to try it. The yippee-ki-ya just sounded interesting.  :laugh:

I really liked the saloon (even with the $18 burger). It was my first time in Park City. Reminded me of kind of a mix of Santa Barbara and Boulder. Including the crappy traffic!

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2016, 09:13:09 AM »
I'm a bit of an oddball in that I did not like the more expensive rendezvous rye.

You're not an odd ball, I got a bottle of it that is going to take several years to drink. Everyone who has tried it says it tastes like a Reuben sandwich.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2016, 01:29:37 PM »
Bourbon Manhattans are the choice of my father and I.

2 dashes of Angostura bitters on the ice, then 2 fingers of Tribuno Vermouth, and 3 fingers of Maker's Mark. We don't bother with the cherry.

It's the right mix of sharp alcohol cut with just enough sweet without being a froo-froo cocktail. And allows us to assert a shred of individuality in the face of Wisconsin's addiction to Brandy Old-Fashioneds. WI-style Brandy Old-Fashioned are good, especially a "real one" where the bartender will actually use a sugar cube dripped in bitters, orange and cherries and actually muddle/smash it before the brandy (Usually Korbel), ice, and sour goes in (or crushed ice to add fill, with no soda or sour...), but WI Brandy Old-Fashioned gets too close for comfort to the "drinks for people who don't actually like alcohol"-territory to make it a regular item.

Dry gin martinis on occasion.

Otherwise it's just Scotch on the rocks.

I promise not to duck.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2016, 01:53:05 PM »
I rarely drink cocktails, other than occasional G&T's in summer.  I do like a shot of whiskey now and then, especially with a beer chaser.  A few years ago I got on a rum cocktails kick for a while.

Tuesday night, I tried making something like a frozen margarita, using sloe gin in place of the triple sec because I was out of tripel sec, and I wanted to use up the SG.  It was nasty.  I made another one, using brandy instead of tequila, and that was pretty good.  Had 2 or 3 more that night while watching the Olympics.  Bad idea.  I didn't throw up but maybe I should have.

I haven't had any alcohol since.  I might have a beer or two this weekend, maybe.
"It's good, though..."

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2016, 08:47:54 PM »
My summer stand is is vodka and sprite. Stolle or some other decent vodka none of that plastic jug crap. I will drink goose or belvidere on the rocks sometimes.
I like a good margarita as well.
Winter is scotch on a rock. Got an open bottle of Oban right now.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods