Author Topic: So that's why my order never arrived  (Read 1069 times)

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
So that's why my order never arrived
« on: August 25, 2016, 02:05:56 AM »

Sig 553s. 737 of them. Along with 72 Swiss made grenade launchers.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2016/08/22/container-full-assault-rifles-grenade-launchers-headed-usa-seized-spain/

http://spanishnewstoday.com/809-us_bound-firearms-seized-at-the-port-of-algeciras_78736-a.html

According to the second link, the firearms do not have serial numbers on them.

Unserialized firearms and grenade launchers being shipped from Ghana to the U.S.  Is Obama running guns to Mexican cartels again?

[tinfoil]
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Re: So that's why my order never arrived
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2016, 09:40:34 AM »
^
According to the second link, the firearms do not have serial numbers on them.

Apparently this is not a unique problem with imported milsurps.

As I understand it, before importer's serial numbers had to be placed on imports, many Carcanos didn't have serial numbers.

From what I gather, serial numbers on Carcanos were placed on the barrels rather than the actions (receivers).  The story is that  gunsmiths in Italy replaced many barrels with ones without serial numbers and they were imported to the U.S. that way. A lot of them have duplicate serial numbers or are just marked "Made in Italy."

This was of course before serial numbering became an absolutely critical necessity in reducing crime.  :facepalm:  ;/

Terry

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2016, 02:31:54 PM »
Pretty sure Sig put serials on all 553'sides.

They only came out in 2008. Not sure they are on the surplus market quite yet.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2016, 06:47:01 PM »
I told my Daughter in Kumasi, Ghana not to ship those through Spain.   But does she listen?   Noooooooo.

(j/k  but she is in Kumasi, Ghana working in an orphanage)

Any bets on those being ISIS bound weapons?  (Using Ghana as a starting point should have avoided any problems with Customs, but putting "Firearms" on the BoL blew that cover wide open...) 
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2016, 07:33:14 PM »
^
Apparently this is not a unique problem with imported milsurps.

As I understand it, before importer's serial numbers had to be placed on imports, many Carcanos didn't have serial numbers.

From what I gather, serial numbers on Carcanos were placed on the barrels rather than the actions (receivers).  The story is that  gunsmiths in Italy replaced many barrels with ones without serial numbers and they were imported to the U.S. that way. A lot of them have duplicate serial numbers or are just marked "Made in Italy."

This was of course before serial numbering became an absolutely critical necessity in reducing crime.  :facepalm:  ;/

Terry

Century started electro penciling serial numbers on all of their imports several years ago, especially mosins, can't remember why though, if it was because of Cyrillic characters or because the serial number is on the barrel and not always on the receiver
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2016, 07:59:52 PM »
The interesting thing to think about is how many containers like this slipped through into the US already and who has them?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2016, 08:05:02 PM »
The interesting thing to think about is how many containers like this slipped through into the US already and who has them?

And how much do they cost at the gun show?
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2016, 08:08:37 PM »

Evidently they missed the crate(s) holding the ammo.

""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2016, 03:31:48 AM »
I wonder if these were removed serial numbers or if these were stolen before that part of the manufacturing process.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Pb

• friend
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2016, 09:37:51 AM »
If these were coming to the USA, I wonder if they were supposed to be chopped up for parts kits legally.  Century had one of their shipments of aks siezed a few years ago.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2016, 11:36:59 AM »
The grenade launchers. How does that work with import? Is that something that can be imported? Since we can are allowed to own them, last I remember.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2016, 01:18:30 PM »
The grenade launchers. How does that work with import? Is that something that can be imported? Since we can are allowed to own them, last I remember.

They can be demilled, or parts kits and then built and registered as F1 DD's in some circumstances. Although most of the 40mm activity in the civvy NFA market is based on American made M203 clones, or 37mm's bored out and rifled to 40mm.  In theory you CAN even own/use 40mm HEDP or other explosives it could fire too, but each individual one would be it's own $200 NFA registration tax and form, and you're going to have to conform with Federal/ATF explosives magazine requirements to keep and store them. And in actual practice, none of the producers of such items would sell them to you even if you were going to do all the proper ATF NFA paperwork.

So in reality everyone just shoots flares, smoke, or the .22 LR beehive rounds.

Although in this instance, putting the SIG 553 MG's aside, it's not like you can just import the stuff whole and functional, promise to torch the receivers, and then chase it with the paperwork afterward.  [tinfoil]

Point of origin being Ghana is weird, but high dollar Swiss stuff from SIG doesn't normally fit the bill for smuggling/terror.  I'd bet a few bucks on it being Uncle Sugar/CIA/DoS/DoD getting "sterile stuff" and bouncing it around the world, or some commercial concern that was trying to fulfil a contract for the stuff under those terms for Uncle Sugar, and screwing up or omitting paperwork to keep it on the down-low bit them in the ass. More shady, at least in terms of the laws would be someone like Blackwater/Xe or Dyncorp trying to get some hardware, but that would be unusual, as they have ways of keeping post-'86 MG's offshore on ships etc. or pre-placing it in other countries.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 01:56:54 PM by AJ Dual »
I promise not to duck.