Author Topic: Crap...  (Read 4290 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Crap...
« on: August 28, 2016, 07:43:04 PM »
My oven died.

I think it's the control module.

I think I'm just going to replace it.  I've wanted a solid surface stove so nows the time.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Andiron

• friend
Re: Crap...
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2016, 08:46:58 PM »
Never used a solid surface myself,  what are the pros compared to a standard burner range?
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2016, 08:50:35 PM »
AND TIME FOR ANOTHER EPISODE OF THIS *expletive deleted*ing HOUSE WITH MIKE IRWIN!!!!

:rofl:
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2016, 09:05:38 PM »
Like a glass top?
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2016, 09:07:21 PM »
I'll give you mine glass top. I just tell the wife someone broke in and stole it.
I can get a gas one then. =D
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2016, 09:20:14 PM »
Electric is bad enough, why on earth would you want to subject yourself to a flat top?
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2016, 09:36:30 PM »
Electric is bad enough, why on earth would you want to subject yourself to a flat top?

Yeah, I cried a little when I moved away from my nice gas range to the current mid-level electric with the coil burners. What I ended up doing was getting a countertop induction cooktop and I do all my stuff that is heat sensitive on that.  Even stuff that isn't. I always set my morning coffee on the timer, and when time is up, heat is instantly off, then it goes into "keep warm" mode if I don't get to it right away. Love the thing.

Even if I have a gas option at the next place, I think I might go induction for the range. If the range here goes out, I might just spring for an induction range as well. Though I'd probably want to do a little research into repair costs for built-in induction cooktops. If the standalone goes out, it's just ~$60 for a new one. Not sure how expensive it gets when it's part of the range.

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2016, 10:02:05 PM »
Like a glass top?

Yes. A solid glass top. They're easy to clean. I bought my mother one several years ago and it's fantastic.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2016, 10:02:29 PM »

;/

Just build a fire in the middle of the kitchen floor, right?

lupinus

• friends
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2016, 10:12:30 PM »
;/

Just build a fire in the middle of the kitchen floor, right?
Well the fireplace is usually off to the side

Sent from my iPhone. Freaking autocorrect.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2016, 10:45:06 PM »
You want an induction unit just plan on $2000-$3000 by th time you replace your pots and pans.

The flat top is better then a regular coil electric unit for temps but pan size is important. It's been 20 years since I cooked on electric but if I was forced to it would be a flat top or induction.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2016, 11:09:26 PM »
You want an induction unit just plan on $2000-$3000 by th time you replace your pots and pans.

I was lucky in that I only had to replace one stainless pot that didn't work. The rest of my stainless did, and obviously cast iron and carbon steel work great.

It's a whole nother thread on my decision to get rid of a lot of old cookware and pare down to pretty much essentials. All steel except for one bigger aluminum pot that I haven't replaced yet, but I pretty much just use that one for pasta and making my spoiled dog's dog food, where regular electric works fine. What I have now is about what I would have regardless of the cooktop type.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2016, 05:32:40 AM »
I like my flat top.  I'd say it's easier to clean, rather than actually easy.  SHMBO spills on it a bunch so we get caked on crud that has to be scraped/green scrubbied off.  I suppose if you were super anal about wiping it clean in that 30 sec it's still warm but not burn your hand hot it wouldn't be as bad.  But I'm usually eating then.

Still worlds better then the old coils and drip pans.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2016, 06:24:54 AM »
I'd love to go induction, but no way am I going that kind of price.

I'm debating on whether to go with a self cleaning or just an old fashioned manual clean model.

I have two likely candidates; one of each, it just depends on whether or not I can get them in a reasonable amount of time.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2016, 08:33:46 AM »
Now you have a reason to burn those floppys.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Unisaw

• friend
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2016, 10:57:44 AM »
The flat top makes for fewer places for dog fur to collect.  =D
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2016, 11:52:25 AM »
The flat top makes for fewer places for dog fur to collect.  =D

It just burns off...

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2016, 11:58:13 AM »
It just burns off...

But smells worse than burning floppys.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re:
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2016, 09:28:27 PM »
Frigidaire to be delivered Saturday.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
Re:
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2016, 01:13:27 PM »
Frigidaire to be delivered Saturday.

Should have gone with a more reliable design.

http://www.wholesalepatiostore.com/Chicago-Brick-Oven/Model-Americano-Countertop-PC-TC.html?gclid=CJeplYfR6c4CFQQKaQodsr0BTA

Note the lack of any "control module" to fail.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2016, 10:32:23 PM »
We had an induction range when we remodeled the lake house in 93.  Swmbo had to purchase all new steel pots and pans.  It lasted about 5 or so years and started to crap out.  I don't recall the make, but it was a top end unit.  When we called a repairman he advised getting rid of it as it would cost a couple hundred dollars to fix just one burner and since one went out, it was likely more would as well.  We bought another electric range with a glass top.  Swmbo never cared much for that one and the door didn't seal well on the oven so following directions for baking turned into disasters.  When we moved I had a gas line ran and we replaced the existing electric stove with gas.  She loves it.  She is also a very committed and skillful cook.  Gas is the only way to go according to her.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2016, 12:01:30 AM »
When we called a repairman he advised getting rid of it as it would cost a couple hundred dollars to fix just one burner and since one went out, it was likely more would as well. 

I was curious about costs on the integrated units. Of course they may have improved reliability or else costs may have come down by now.

My little countertop unit only cost ~$60 and I actually like the heat control better than gas. If it ever craps out, I'll be ordering another one off Amazon the same day.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2016, 06:50:18 AM »
I may end up getting one of the countertop induction units because I'm not going to be able to use my 12" cast iron skillet on the new stove, and I'll be damned if I'm going to get rid of it.

lupinus

• friends
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2016, 08:01:55 AM »
I may end up getting one of the countertop induction units because I'm not going to be able to use my 12" cast iron skillet on the new stove, and I'll be damned if I'm going to get rid of it.