Author Topic: We Worry About Supreme Court Appointments  (Read 892 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
We Worry About Supreme Court Appointments
« on: August 31, 2016, 04:01:18 PM »
We always talk about SC appointments, but I think sometimes forget the lower courts. Interesting article on the significant shift there since Obama took the helm:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2016/08/31/obama-appointments-already-pulling-appeals-courts-to-left.html
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
Re: We Worry About Supreme Court Appointments
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2016, 05:24:33 PM »
It isn't going to get any better.  After 4/8 years of Hillary we'll be a communist banana republic. :'( :mad: :police: :police: :police: :police:
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2016, 05:37:35 PM »
To paraphrase uncle Joe,   "It is not who makes the law, it is who interprets what the law is".

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2016, 02:49:03 PM »
That is what Tom Gresham and others have been saying about the Heller decision.  We are already seeing lowers courts do their best to undermine it.  The SC nominees are just the part of the ice berg that is visible.  All the other appointments are not so visible.  
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 03:22:20 PM by MechAg94 »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2016, 03:20:07 PM »
Here you go. 

Remember, deserve's got nothing to do with it.

I’m not sure how many people realize it, but for the last forty-five years the average age of a Supreme Court justice upon retiring has been just under seventy-nine. Right now, Ginsberg is eighty-three, Breyer is seventy-eight, and the court’s frequently sensible swing vote, Kennedy, is eighty. Add in the recently deceased and very much missed Antonin Scalia, and that means that even a one-term president may get to pick two to four supreme court justices, while a two-termer will likely get to pick four or, depending on the continued health of Thomas and Alito, perhaps as many as six.1

Let’s not hunt for trouble; instead of worst casing the thing let’s just imagine a two-term Hildebeast, replacing Scalia, Breyer and Ginsberg with youngish leftist judges, and Kennedy hanging on against the odds for some other president to find his replacement. So we’re looking, best case really, at three new hard leftists, plus Red Sonia,2 in a “Wise Latina” vein, and Kagan...

In any case, hand Hillary Clinton the keys to the White House and the power to nominate justices to the Supreme Court and either kiss your Second Amendment rights goodbye or be prepared for civil war, and soon. That is to say the war will begin soon, though it will drag on for years or decades.

That’s not the most troubling prospect, though. Although Hillary hasn’t declared a litmus test for gun control, she has declared a litmus test for the First Amendment, specifically with regard to the case I mentioned above, Citizens United.10

You may, gentle reader, recall that a couple of weeks ago I mentioned that Trump wants a place in the history books while Hillary is confident that she’ll be able to dictate what the history books are allowed to say...

So think about that one, too, when you’re thinking about pulling that lever in November. Think about it in terms, also, of “hate speech laws,” of religious freedom, of control over the internet…and the end of the First Amendment and the right of free speech, the defense of which was the logical core behind the Supreme Court’s decision in Citizens United, a core Hillary Clinton apparently wants to excise from the heart of America.

And multiply x100 for the lower courts.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2016, 05:11:11 PM »
Trigger warning: this may keep you from sleeping for the next two months.

What if 2016 is another 2000-style, hanging-chad election?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2016, 06:14:15 PM »
Trigger warning: this may keep you from sleeping for the next two months.

What if 2016 is another 2000-style, hanging-chad election?

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton