Author Topic: Batteries - Surefire v. Energizer  (Read 3512 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Batteries - Surefire v. Energizer
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2016, 01:25:57 PM »
So I recently changed the light I attach to my car key to one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018QG6TY0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Anyone have any good/bad info on the 16340 that came with it? I'm guessing it's not just another name for the rechargeable 123 given the lumen output. I've had it for a couple of months and have yet to recharge the battery. I usually use it at medium setting though.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2016, 02:08:12 PM »
Other than the capacity being 800mAh at best, it's fine.

And since it's an all-Fenix marked factory bundle, the light's driver circuit is designed to handle multiple inputs at different voltages, like the 3.xV of a disposable 123a or the probably 4.2 "full" voltage of the 16340/RCR123a.

Although a 16340 can be a bit different than an rcr123a, the number scheme is really just dimensions, 16mm wide, 34mm long "0" denoting round/cylindrical. (18650 being 18mmx65mm and round/cylindrical) There's a few different lithium chemistries they could be using, and then add onto that the usual Chicom habit of identifying things as whatever they want.

But Fenix has been top-notch in my experience with three different lights, all still working great. One being an older version of that same light I've had for about 8 years going now.
I promise not to duck.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2016, 02:39:56 PM »

But Fenix has been top-notch in my experience with three different lights, all still working great. One being an older version of that same light I've had for about 8 years going now.

Good to know. It's not really a primary light, just for quick inspections, seeing door locks, potential bad guy blinding in the parking lot, etc. I keep bigger Streamlights in the vehicles and Surefires on the nightstand.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

birdman

• friend
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2016, 07:51:11 PM »

And since it's an all-Fenix marked factory bundle, the light's driver circuit is designed to handle multiple inputs at different voltages, like the 3.xV of a disposable 123a or the probably 4.2 "full" voltage of the 16340/RCR123a.

Although a 16340 can be a bit different than an rcr123a, the number scheme is really just dimensions, 16mm wide, 34mm long "0" denoting round/cylindrical. (18650 being 18mmx65mm and round/cylindrical) There's a few different lithium chemistries they could be using, and then add onto that the usual Chicom habit of identifying things as whatever they want.

Agreed on Fenix, I have three of their lights (ranging from wee, to not so wee, to friggin huge) and they are great.  The only better light I have is my Nitecore TM26...which is less of a flashlight and more of a directed energy weapon.  (Though, it does run for like two days at 95 lumens...a bit less at 3500+)

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2016, 08:40:00 AM »
If you are using them regularly, just get rechargeable. I've been using one of the cheap wf-501 lights for years at work, and swap out the 18650 battery about once a week. Here's your solution:

https://www.amazon.com/2000mah-Rechargeable-Battery-Charger-Ultrafire/dp/B00AT7EMY4/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8

try it before you buy it. Some, if not all Surefire lights that require two of the CR123 batteries are not compatible with the 18650 battery.  The two types have different dimensions and the 18650 won't fit into the Surefire body.