Author Topic: how often to replace popoff valve on air compressor?  (Read 756 times)

zxcvbob

• friend
how often to replace popoff valve on air compressor?
« on: September 18, 2016, 04:58:17 PM »
The relief valve on my big air compressor goes off every time I fill it (the compressor is maybe 10 years old).  And it doesn't shut off until the tank is almost drained.
The valve on my small compressor has recently started doing that too, before it reaches the 150 PSI where the pressure switch cuts off.  That one is maybe 5 or 6 years old.  I'm tempted to remove the valves and put in plugs but I know that's a bad idea; there should always be a back up safety.

Should this be a routine maintenance item?  Can the relief valves be adjusted and can I safely do that myself?
"It's good, though..."

Jim147

• friends
Re: how often to replace popoff valve on air compressor?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2016, 06:36:54 PM »
Check you cut offs I have replace several of those but not a pop off on an air compressor. If cut off's are working then replace the pop off valve. Don't even mess with the old ones.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2016, 07:52:35 PM »
Replace them when they start failing. They aren't "regular" maintenance, but they do fail.

Definitely don't put plugs in.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2016, 08:05:17 PM »
Pop off valves are usully a simple screw in affair. Replacement is a five minute fix unless it's integrated into the pressure switch.

Sometimes pressure switches are adjustable. Might be able to lower the cutoff pressure to just under the popoff valve's limit as a short-term fix.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB