Author Topic: Which vaping flavor will kill your bronchial cells the fastest?  (Read 815 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Which vaping flavor will kill your bronchial cells the fastest?
« on: September 21, 2016, 07:06:43 PM »
http://www.medpagetoday.com/Pulmonology/Smoking/60384

Strawberry is the one to watch out for.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

freakazoid

• friend
Re: Which vaping flavor will kill your bronchial cells the fastest?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2016, 07:45:03 AM »
Published by Tobacco Control. Who's aim and scope is,
Tobacco Control aims to study the nature and consequences of tobacco use worldwide; tobacco's effects on population health, the economy, the environment, and society; efforts to prevent and control the global tobacco epidemic through population level education and policy changes; the ethical dimensions of tobacco control policies; and the activities of the tobacco industry and its allies.

I think I'll remain leery of whatever they put out.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

HankB

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2016, 07:59:55 AM »
Once the Chinese enter the vaping fluid area in a big way, vapers (vapors?) will be getting nice big doses of lead, cadmium, PCBs, and other interesting things with their vapes . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2016, 08:26:34 AM »
Which vaping flavor will kill your bronchial cells the fastest?

The one you use most?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2016, 09:31:20 AM »
Actual paper:  http://tobaccocontrol.bmj.com/content/early/2016/09/15/tobaccocontrol-2016-053205.full.pdf+html

This is surprisingly useful information rather than a hit piece. Good find, MillCreek. I'm relatively shocked. Decent methodology, good controls, accurate scaling (favorite 'mistake' of hit pieces), good unbiased summary. They correctly point out that cigarette smoking is worse. Higher voltage/temperature is bad. I'm shocked that it LOOKS legit, even after they admit to receive "grants from and served as an advisory board member to pharmaceutical companies that manufacture smoking cessation drugs." Of course they're not sharing the raw data, but even still.

Granted, they don't name the supplier but it's enough to tentatively toss out strawberry flavoring. And as always, use lowest wattage possible to get the job done. Though it'd be better if listed the ohms as well as voltage for more accurate results. I use 1.7/1.8 ohm coils and around 4V for around 9.8W. I've pondered dropping that down, but toxicity results aren't hugely significant. Will keep things well below 4.8V. That seems to be the consistent largest factor in toxicity.

Some folks are working on ultrasonics for vaping, to completely remove the heating coil. It is technologically and medically possible to engineer a 99.999% safe aerosol nicotine solution that people enjoy. At the moment, it's difficult because there's not good standards, there isn't standardized testing, medical papers can be almost as shady as Chinese manufacturing, supply chain issues (counterfeiting) and the US government is significantly more interested in prohibition/taxation aspects than safety. Plus there's the general consensus that recreational nicotine usage is a sin that needs to be wiped out, even if it isn't a carcinogen (though it can make cancer harder to treat after you get it).

Once the Chinese enter the vaping fluid area in a big way, vapers (vapors?) will be getting nice big doses of lead, cadmium, PCBs, and other interesting things with their vapes . . .

Except for the cheapest non-chain gas station suppliers buying the cheapest counterfeits off alibaba.com, pretty much already addressed. Most vaping supplies are manufactured in China (along with pretty much everything else), but with stronger supply chain protection. Counterfeiting those brands is a problem.

Smartest money is mixing everything yourself from certified US Pharmacopeia grade components. Cheaper, safer.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 10:05:33 AM by RevDisk »
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.