Author Topic: Magnum PI X Chromosome  (Read 5089 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Magnum PI X Chromosome
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2016, 08:42:48 AM »
In the original, Magnum had his PIs license, which I believe can permit someone to carry a handgun in Hawaii...

He was also head of security for the Masters estate, which could also give him access to a handgun...

http://cca.hawaii.gov/pvl/files/2013/08/har_97-c2.pdf

Not entirely specific to a PI, but sort of there...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2016, 08:43:25 AM »
And do you realize that Tom Sellek is 71?

Holy crap...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2016, 08:47:15 AM »
Huh.  He is the same age as Jesse Stone.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: Re: Magnum PI X Chromosome
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2016, 08:58:53 AM »
HEY! They had an original idea to reboot McGuyver with a guy who sort of looks like Richard Dean Anderson...

Patty and Selma Bouvier are going to be SO happy!
I heard about the MacGuyver remake this morning on the radio... followed by "and then later on Hawaii 5-0..."

Good job, Hollywood.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2016, 10:02:32 AM »
Heck, IIRC, even the producers of The Rockford Files finally had to engineer a pardon or something for Jimbo so he could do bangy things, didn't they?

I don't recall, but I think he was a felon in possession, at least in earlier seasons. He didn't carry one around very often.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2016, 10:32:41 AM »

I don't recall, but I think he was a felon in possession, at least in earlier seasons. He didn't carry one around very often.

Coincidentally, I've currently been rewatching The Rockford Files on Netflix. I'm just up to season 2 right now, but he's always getting in trouble for "not having a permit". He's been a fully pardoned person since episode 1, so could have gotten a carry permit, especially as a PI. Back then, there were parts of CA where you could get a permit in a few days with no tests or any of the other current state required crap.

It's been kind of funny watching the show today and actually thinking about what would happen if it was rebooted as is. I'm pretty sure Rockford would have been arrested or sued a bajillion times for every time he walks somewhere with a woman, as he always puts a hand on their arm (sex predator!) and does other stuff, common at the time, that would give current feminists heart attacks.

On a tangent, it has been kind of funny to watch Rockford do his job with the tech of the time (the show came out when I was 15, so I was around for that tech too). I keep thinking about how fast an episode would be over if only they had cell phones.  :laugh:   Though it's also funny to see how many of the bad guys had the clunky old car phones in their cars.

I also watched one episode based on trying to figure out what "5.56" was. Even though it had been used in the M-16 for I think ten years already, it was in the episode as a "new" military cartridge.

To this day I'm trying to figure out how he was able to take over a dozen parking spaces with his trailer on prime beach property in Malibu. It would be like $10,000 a month rent today.  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

HankB

• friend
« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2016, 10:43:27 AM »
Coincidentally, I've currently been rewatching The Rockford Files on Netflix. . . .
I was pretty young when that show was on, but I liked it . . . until they started giving more and more of a role to Stuart Margolin in his recurring role of Angel Martin, Rockford's "Friend" who kept getting him in deep trouble. I HATED that character.

BTW, in terms of PC swapping male leads to female . . . we obviously haven't had enough bad vampire shows on TV, so "Van Helsing" which premiers tonight has the role of Professor Van Helsing filled by Vanessa Van Helsing . . . I'm sure this will go well.  [popcorn]

Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
Re:
« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2016, 03:03:56 PM »
Not sure I could see Magnum as a woman, but Higgins would be great as a female character. I can see Missy from DOCTOR WHO in that role.

P.S. I liked the idea of Booker as a gal in nu-BSG, but, DAMMIT, STARBUCK IS A GUY!!!
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2016, 09:31:21 PM »
In the original, Magnum had his PIs license, which I believe can permit someone to carry a handgun in Hawaii...

I believe currently the only "carry" provision there is for Merchant Armed Guards, but they can only "carry" unloaded and cased to and from their posts.

However, I haven't been on their site for a while.  I kind of quit keeping up on Hawaii after the Peruta case was lost in the Ninth Circuit.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2016, 08:29:08 PM »
Men are slowly (or not so slowly) being denied all male places and entertainment.

The institutional matriarchy we live in is destroying masculinity.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2016, 05:40:20 AM »
Men are slowly (or not so slowly) being denied all male places and entertainment.

The institutional matriarchy we live in is destroying masculinity.

I'm drifting that way in my general geriatric attitude.  I first started noticing it when all the male characters on those sitcoms were kind of incompetent goofs and the wife was always right, smart, and sophisticated.

It's funny that even though I actually don't watch TV that actively or consistently, I still pick up on these things.

I first started to notice this with "Mad About You" with Helen Hunt and Paul Reiser, then with that g0dawful "Maude" show.  Oh, and "Everybody Loves Raymond."

It got to the point where I started looking for that stuff in a bias confirmation way, and there was plenty of it.

'Cept for "Married With Children."  Man, I loved that show, probably because even though Peggy thought he was an irredeemable "deplorable," he was a real "Domestic Hero" to me.

He was a winner by being a loser every day... and putting up with it.  Every day.

Terry
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.