Author Topic: Magnum PI X Chromosome  (Read 5098 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Magnum PI X Chromosome
« on: September 22, 2016, 03:46:53 PM »
They're coming out with a female version of Magnum PI. Who will play the female Higgins?

Anyway, no just no. I'm happy to check out an original female lead PI series or most any genre that sounds interesting, but this whole thing with copying an old (classic!) show and just switching to females to be "edgy" is not edgy. When are they coming out with the male version of Charlie's Angels?

http://twitchy.com/sd-3133/2016/09/22/she-gonna-rock-a-femstache-its-magnum-p-i-s-turn-to-get-lady-fied/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

wmenorr67

• friend
Re: Magnum PI X Chromosome
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2016, 03:50:16 PM »
They're coming out with a female version of Magnum PI. Who will play the female Higgins?

Anyway, no just no. I'm happy to check out an original female lead PI series or most any genre that sounds interesting, but this whole thing with copying an old (classic!) show and just switching to females to be "edgy" is not edgy. When are they coming out with the male version of Charlie's Angels?

http://twitchy.com/sd-3133/2016/09/22/she-gonna-rock-a-femstache-its-magnum-p-i-s-turn-to-get-lady-fied/

Oh god, no hell no.  [barf]
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2016, 04:00:46 PM »
Goddamnit

Watch..  Tom Selleck will do cameos as the dad or something probably.

Re-read the article, at least it will be his daughter and not a total remake.  So sequel, not remake.  I'm more okay with that.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2016, 04:09:19 PM »
At least it's not another super hero movie, based on the last 200 super hero movies; or something based on a series of young adult books.

In any case, no one's going to make you watch it.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2016, 04:11:34 PM »

Re-read the article, at least it will be his daughter and not a total remake.  So sequel, not remake.  I'm more okay with that.

Yeah, it wouldn't be as bad as a sequel if done right. To me that means not having Rick, TC, etc. equivalents. I worry because they already have her copying her dad re: the Naval Intelligence gig.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2016, 04:17:49 PM »
You're, uh, worried?  :laugh:
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2016, 04:18:42 PM »
Yeah, it wouldn't be as bad as a sequel if done right. To me that means not having Rick, TC, etc. equivalents. I worry because they already have her copying her dad re: the Naval Intelligence gig.

That might not be too bad.  If I remember right, the original ended with Magnum getting custody of his daughter and going back into the Navy.  If she grew up as a Navy brat, it would be believable to follow in daddy's footsteps.

That said, can't anyone come up with a new idea in Hollywood anymore????  Does everything have to be a retread with a twist?
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2016, 04:29:59 PM »
That said, can't anyone come up with a new idea in Hollywood anymore????  Does everything have to be a retread with a twist?

Sequels and retreads have statistically safer returns. Originals tend to either become legends, or flop. Much bigger spread, and you have a lot more flops than winners. Even garbage retread shows will get enough attention to be at least marginally profitable after Hollywood accounting. Blame the audience.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2016, 04:30:38 PM »
They leave out the important part, as always: will Julia Nickson reprise her role as the occasional bikini-clad teenager?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2016, 04:32:54 PM »
Sequels and retreads have statistically safer returns. Originals tend to either become legends, or flop. Much bigger spread, and you have a lot more flops than winners. Even garbage retread shows will get enough attention to be at least marginally profitable after Hollywood accounting. Blame the audience.

Fear the Walking Dead.

Not being contrary to what Rev said, but rather an example. Crappy show riding on coat tails, but also "easy money" for the creators and the network.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 04:50:56 PM by Ben »

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2016, 04:34:02 PM »
The original is before my time, but I would also say at least they are doing it as a continuation of the original, rather than a straight "remake".

The thing I really don't get about all these reboots (both movies and TV shows) is that they actually aren't money makers. They almost ALL bomb. If Hollyweird would just take the chance on original (or even semi original) material they would have a higher chance of actually making money. Instead, they go the Ghostbusters way and end up losing money.  ???
Right now, the only reboot I can think of on network TV that has had a solid run is Hawaii Five O. There has been at least 8 or 9 in the past decade or so, but only one out of the lot made it past a first season and a lot ended up as mid season drops.

... Not really...
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2016, 04:46:54 PM »
So...

Remake - Hillary

Sequel - Trump

The original is before my time, but I would also say at least they are doing it as a continuation of the original, rather than a straight "remake".

The thing I really don't get about all these reboots (both movies and TV shows) is that they actually aren't money makers. They almost ALL bomb. If Hollyweird would just take the chance on original (or even semi original) material they would have a higher chance of actually making money. Instead, they go the Ghostbusters way and end up losing money.  ???
Right now, the only reboot I can think of on network TV that has had a solid run is Hawaii Five O. There has been at least 8 or 9 in the past decade or so, but only one out of the lot made it past a first season and a lot ended up as mid season drops.

... Not really...

You're forgetting DVD/BluRay, Netflix/Streaming etc. Movies and TV now have a "long tail" revenue stream beyond their initial release. (TV always had some, with syndication/re-runs, but now it's bigger)

You are right, there have been a lot of re-make flops, but right now I think the balance sheet is still positive on "remakes" overall. And that's going to keep executive/investor pressure for them going for a while longer. Hopefully there'll be enough flops that the market forces will push studios to making "something new" more often. And then start digging into the grey area of sequels that probably shouldn't be made, and comic, book, and TV properties that don't need movies made of them either.

I promise not to duck.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2016, 05:28:44 PM »
The show better have a MD/Hughs 500, dammit!

And a Ferrari.  Or maybe a McClaren.  No Tesla, thanks.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2016, 05:47:37 PM »

And a Ferrari.  Or maybe a McClaren.  No Tesla, thanks.

That's that I was thinking.  The originals weren't politically correct enough, so they've got to revamp them to include Teslas and men (except for Daddy) who are incompetent creeps and save the endangered Blue Sea Tarpon.  Oh, and nail those dastardly polluters.

Oh, and of course, the no carrying in Hawaii and all guns are registered mentality stuff.

:facepalm: Mahalo oe.:facepalm:

Terry

REF:
https://2ahawaii.com/index.php?action=refferals;refferedby=23
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2016, 08:13:18 PM »
You're forgetting DVD/BluRay, Netflix/Streaming etc. Movies and TV now have a "long tail" revenue stream beyond their initial release. (TV always had some, with syndication/re-runs, but now it's bigger)

^^^ Correct.

When was Gilligan's Island? Early 1960s, IIRC, around '63 - '65? It has been in continuous syndication ever since the original series ended. I believe it has NEVER been entirely off the air.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2016, 08:37:41 PM »
^^^ Correct.

When was Gilligan's Island? Early 1960s, IIRC, around '63 - '65? It has been in continuous syndication ever since the original series ended. I believe it has NEVER been entirely off the air.

And Dawn Wells was the only one to get a cut from syndication written into her contract (her husband was an agent.)
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2016, 08:46:34 PM »
It might not be terrible. Remakes and sequels always run that risk.

Being a sequel though it makes the female lead less of a distraction. This is the mistake that they made with Ghostbusters. There supposedly was a script where they were the daughters, fans probably would have loved that, but instead they had to make a political/PC statement and do a remake, but with all female leads. Almost nobody objects to female leads, but remaking a popular show/movie and purposely doing it as a PC statement will turn off fans.

It really has nothing to do with the actors gender, I doubt fans would have even cared if one or two of the leads were swapped to female in the Ghostbusters remake, but all four was just such an obvious PC thing that fans didn't like it. I don't think it was really an misogynist thing as the media liked to claim, it was just fans not liking the thing they remember fondly being overly messed with for PC reasons.

With the reported premise I think they will avoid that trap and just have to deal with is it actually entertaining or not.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2016, 08:46:50 PM »
^^^ Correct.

That's for a show that makes it.

Shows that get cancelled in the first season or two (or mid season) don't get syndicated. These days you can find some of them on places like Netflix and you can usually get them on DVD, which is why AJ mentioned it. With the exception of something like Firefly, which has occasional runs on SyFi channel and the like, most of the one season and half season wonders never reappear on TV.
I have a lot of those on DVD, actually, because a lot of good stuff that I like tends to get cancelled. However, while I can see that those shows can make some money despite failure, more so now than in the past, I still don't see how they could be considered huge revenue compared to shows that are more likely to succeed among the masses.
Actually, I see this as an even bigger incentive to throw out more originals and shows that have difficult demographics, because the studios can afford to take more risks, rather than less.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2016, 10:50:15 PM »

Due to budget constraints, I hear it's going to be a Robinson...  =|
I promise not to duck.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2016, 04:18:55 AM »
For the car, I can give them a great deal on a genuine 1994 Sunbird.  Needs a bit of work.  FOB right where I left it.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2016, 06:27:31 AM »
Nah.  It would have to be a Datsun 240 to 280Z.  Or maybe a 300Z.

And there'd have to be a "bit" about somebody not being able to drive a stick shift.  Like maybe an attempt at stealing it or one of the sidekicks, or , under a press of time in an emergency, not knowing how.  Or something like that.  

Would fit the sense of humor in the original Magnum, P.I.

With careful crafting, that could be made into a running gag, with or without a Zee-car being involved.

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 06:53:23 AM by 230RN »

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2016, 06:40:01 AM »
Edgy would be a transgender/gender unspecific soccer fan of color. 
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2016, 06:41:30 AM »

Prius. Gotta be environmentally correct.

And she won't carry a gun. Guns are evilbad, Mmmm 'K?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2016, 06:42:59 AM »
That might not be too bad.  If I remember right, the original ended with Magnum getting custody of his daughter and going back into the Navy.  If she grew up as a Navy brat, it would be believable to follow in daddy's footsteps.

That said, can't anyone come up with a new idea in Hollywood anymore????  Does everything have to be a retread with a twist?

HEY! They had an original idea to reboot McGuyver with a guy who sort of looks like Richard Dean Anderson...

Patty and Selma Bouvier are going to be SO happy!

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2016, 07:30:03 AM »
Edgy would be a transgender/gender unspecific soccer fan of color.  

Nah. Save that for the Higgins/Major Domo part. S/He is writing the mysteries as a man (Robin Masters, a gender-neutral name), adding to Ms./Miss Magnum's befuddlement over who the real author is.

Good on the soccer fan, though.  Like.

I wonder how they're going to handle the impossibility of carrying a firearm in Hawaii, though. 'Twould be an inherently illegal act, and therefore not suited to the Magnum persona.  Supposedly, Higgins had a collection of arms at the estate which the male Magnum could use.

Maybe they could move the setting to Guam, where carry permits are available. Or something.  Former commissioned peace officer?  Former shore patrol?

I can't imagine a detective tale without any bangy parts.

Heck, IIRC, even the producers of The Rockford Files finally had to engineer a pardon or something for Jimbo so he could do bangy things, didn't they?
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 07:56:58 AM by 230RN »