Author Topic: Rice for breakfast  (Read 6904 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Rice for breakfast
« on: October 03, 2016, 07:54:01 AM »
Anybody else do this? My mom used to mix rice with milk, sugar, and cinnamon for us. Good stuff.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Rice for breakfast
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2016, 07:55:52 AM »
Oh hell yeah. Loved that as a kid.

In many parts of the world savory rice dishes are the norm for breakfast, often done to a porridge like consistency.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Congee#India
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2016, 08:17:30 AM »
Cream of rice a lot growing up. It might sound weird but rice, soft scrambled eggs, and a few dashes of soy sauce is delicious.

And as Mike already noted, Congee is amazing stuff. My favorite way it id to make a quick little stir fry of either pork or chicken, preferably left overs and finally minced or shredded, with a good shot of soy and other flavorings so it's strongly flavored, and stir fried enough that it gets a little crispy. Put that on top of your congee with some sliced green onions? Mmmmm. Just stirring in some poached chicken leg or thigh and cooking it with it so it gets nice and shredded and broken down throughout the congee is amazing as well.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2016, 08:26:35 AM »
Anybody else do this? My mom used to mix rice with milk, sugar, and cinnamon for us. Good stuff.

Yep......
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2016, 09:12:07 AM »
Your very basic Japanese breakfast is a bowl of steamed rice and a raw egg. Put your rice in the bowl, break a raw egg onto it, sprinkle a few sesame seeds on it and stir it all together and eat it. Japanese food for the soul.... good stuff.

Growing up we would have leftover rice, milk and cinnamon for dessert, as well as cornbread, sugar and milk in a glass. Very little went to waste.

bob

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2016, 09:43:24 AM »

Yes.

Additionally, any time I make rice to accompany the meal, I usually prepare it that way for our children to eat (except you forgot the butter). They love the "sweet rice".
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2016, 10:28:44 AM »
I often stopped and grabbed some onigiri at a mini-mart on the way to work when I was in Japan on business.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2016, 10:32:06 AM »
My grandfather (NC born and raise, lived in the same town all his life) liked soupy rice with eggs and sausage.  He refused to eat any sort of potato with breakfast (hash browns, etc) most of his life, stating "we weren't so poor we had to eat a potato for breakfast!".

It was good, but nothing I'd go out of my way for.  I prefer grits if I want something of that ilk.

That said, mixing with milk, sugar, cinnamon, etc, sounds kind of good, but would probably be just as well to eat flavored rice crispies.

Chris

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2016, 10:53:19 AM »
That said, mixing with milk, sugar, cinnamon, etc, sounds kind of good, but would probably be just as well to eat flavored rice crispies.

It's a different kind of cereal. You're effectively suggesting we might as well eat oat flakes instead of oatmeal. Both are good, but not comparable.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2016, 11:00:04 AM »
It's almost like rice pudding. Certainly better than grits, but pretty much everything is better than grits. :P
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2016, 11:30:14 AM »
"I prefer grits if I want something of that ilk."

I'd rather eat wallpaper paste...

Wait...

They're.... the same.... thing...

"That said, mixing with milk, sugar, cinnamon, etc, sounds kind of good, but would probably be just as well to eat flavored rice crispies."

No, it wouldn't. COMPLETELY different flavor and texture.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2016, 11:48:04 AM »
Rice wars!
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2016, 11:52:17 AM »
"I prefer grits if I want something of that ilk."

I'd rather eat wallpaper paste...

Wait...

They're.... the same.... thing...

No they're not; wallpaper paste shouldn't be lumpy, and should have more flavor.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2016, 11:59:18 AM »
Grits, if cooked properly, aren't lumpy.  They can have as much or little flavor as you wish.  Various cheeses, butter, salt, pepper, hot sauce, etc can all be added.

Chris

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2016, 12:13:33 PM »
Grits, if cooked properly, aren't lumpy.  They can have as much or little flavor as you wish.  Various cheeses, butter, salt, pepper, hot sauce, etc can all be added.

Chris

If you have to add stuff to make it palatable you may as well eat the wallpaper paste, it is probably cheaper and comes in 5 gallon buckets. ;)

bob

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2016, 12:19:52 PM »
If you have to add stuff to make it palatable you may as well eat the wallpaper paste, it is probably cheaper and comes in 5 gallon buckets. ;)

bob

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2016, 12:24:21 PM »

bob

Never said you have to.  I like grits with just a little salt, pepper, and butter.  I'm just pointing out the flexibility of the dish.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Yeah, laugh it up, I didn't see you turn your nose up my "Colorful Polenta" dish (grits with cheese, various peppers, corn, green onions, etc).

Chris

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2016, 01:37:50 PM »

Reminds me of how to make my ex wife's pasta edible; pile on lots of meat, sauce and eggplant, then eat the meat, sauce and eggplant and toss the still-not-quite-yet-al-dente pasta.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2016, 01:55:34 PM »
Reminds me of how to make my ex wife's pasta edible; pile on lots of meat, sauce and eggplant, then eat the meat, sauce and eggplant and toss the still-not-quite-yet-al-dente pasta.

Did she know you're supposed to boil it first and not serve it straight from the box?
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2016, 02:20:41 PM »
Did she know you're supposed to boil it first and not serve it straight from the box?

Speaking of which, those 'no-boil' lasagna noodles are a lie.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2016, 02:46:20 PM »

Barely.  She had this tendency to assume that if she doubled the temperature of stuff, she could cut the cooking time in half.  Her chicken could be downright scary; burned on the outside, bleeding on the inside, and still spewing scalding juice from just under the skin.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2016, 04:57:34 PM »
Mm mm grits.

Oddly enough my wife, who is from the south, doesn't much care for grits. She only really likes them when they are made by her grandfather, also of the south, or me...a damn Yankee.

Course being from NJ and of Italian dna I had a lot of experience making polenta. Which is the same thing just a different time of day and you can get away with charging more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re:
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2016, 06:08:55 PM »
I celebrate food diversity!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2016, 06:43:33 PM »
I celebrate food diversity!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I've seen you eat, so I agree wholeheartedly. :D

Chris

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2016, 08:21:11 PM »

Sounds a lot like rice pudding.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design