Author Topic: Best metadata tools  (Read 496 times)

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
Best metadata tools
« on: October 05, 2016, 10:00:24 AM »

Heyo!

So, I'm organizing all of my files to try to reduce storage. At the same trying to logically organize it. At the same time, I'm ripping all of my DVDs, CDs, etc to digital format because I'd rather have it available on demand than hunt through bookshelves. No, I did not pirate any of the content. Honestly, even ignoring the legal and ethical aspects of pirating, I prefer going to library sales or whatnot. I'm fine with paying a buck or two per DVD, CD, Blu-Ray, etc. I play all of my content mostly through Kodi.

Obviously, APS does not support pirating and please don't recommend "Just go to Pirate Bay!" Some tools that I tried and liked are:

Movies - Media Center Master - http://www.mediacentermaster.com/

Good : Best movie organizer I've found. With permission it downloads metadata from IMDB, Open Movie Database (TMDb) and Fanart sites. If you have a reasonably close name, it'll guess it. If that doesn't work, just put in the IMDB or TMDB ID number and it'll work off that. Formats the names correctly, grabs summaries, ratings, actor list, etc. The banners/posters/artwork for nice visuals when browsing through. Very quick, very painless. Definitely easiest metadata scrubber I worked with.
Bad: It's not nearly as good with TV shows. When it works, it works great. When it doesn't and completely scrambles the two dozen episode names into wrong order, you will not be as pleased. This happened repeatedly. With my copy of Firefly, no less.

eBooks - Caliber - https://calibre-ebook.com/

Good: Pretty comprehensive, can convert ebook formats fairly well, can scrape metadata, can download book covers, great plugin support
Bad: Slow unless you blindly tell it to bulk convert everything and wish for the best. Because so many similar book titles exist, blind metadata scrapes are not a great idea.

TV - Still looking for a good metadata handler. Tried many of them with no luck so far. I own less TV series anyways. Most of the ones I do own I only keep for archival purposes, like Firefly or foreign shows.

Music - Mostly I buy my digital music from Amazon so it comes tagged, but wouldn't mind some suggestions for any software that can categorize, scrape metadata, etc.

Suggestions, alternatives? Moreso looking for personal experiences with software
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.