Author Topic: 911 operator faces charges after admitting to hanging up on callers  (Read 681 times)

MechAg94

• friend
http://www.click2houston.com/news/911-operator-facing-charges-after-admitting-to-hanging-up-on-callers

When seconds count, the police are minutes...........................  Hello?  Hello?

I saw this elsewhere and figured I would carry it over here as well.  It seems she hung up on a number of 911 calls including one for a store robbery where the manager was murdered.  Looks like the charges at for a serious misdemeanor.
Li told Channel 2 News that if 911 is not there for you, “Nobody, nobody is going to help you. You’re on your own.”

According to charging documents, managers at the emergency center determined that Williams had been involved in thousands of “short calls,” a term used to describe 911 calls that last 20 seconds or less, between October 2015 and March 2016.
I am surprised it took that long to figure out she wasn't doing her job.  I would think it would be easier to just not answer the phone until another operator picked up.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: 911 operator faces charges after admitting to hanging up on callers
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2016, 10:47:42 PM »
http://www.click2houston.com/news/911-operator-facing-charges-after-admitting-to-hanging-up-on-callers

When seconds count, the police are minutes...........................  Hello?  Hello?

I saw this elsewhere and figured I would carry it over here as well.  It seems she hung up on a number of 911 calls including one for a store robbery where the manager was murdered.  Looks like the charges at for a serious misdemeanor.I am surprised it took that long to figure out she wasn't doing her job.  I would think it would be easier to just not answer the phone until another operator picked up.

Her attitude reminds me of a quote from a staff member at the national headquarters of a professional society some years ago. The board of directors had commissioned a study of working conditions at the headquarters office. One staff member was quoted as saying, "This would be a great place to work except for all the members calling up and asking for things."

Hellooooooooooooo?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2016, 01:20:04 AM »
Her attitude reminds me of a quote from a staff member at the national headquarters of a professional society some years ago. The board of directors had commissioned a study of working conditions at the headquarters office. One staff member was quoted as saying, "This would be a great place to work except for all the members calling up and asking for things."

Hellooooooooooooo?

I objected to bullshit things, or at least things I saw as bullshit.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2016, 08:14:07 PM »
Saw this story a couple days ago, was going to post here, saw someone beat me to it.

I'll weigh in my .02....

We had a 911 operator here in my county that did something similar... She was fired, had her state dispatcher cert pulled (which is reportable and will show up when other 911 centers from other states check your background prior to hire) but wasn't criminally charged.

I think (in both instances) they should be charged with a count of interfering with an emergency call for *each* call they hung up on.

A few thousand misdemeanor convictions would certainly tend to fit the definition of "pour encourager les autres"
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy